Author Topic: The Anime Thread: Finding Good Anime  (Read 30713 times)

DragonmasterDan

Re: The Anime Thread: Finding Good Anime
« Reply #270 on: December 09, 2014, 02:29:03 AM »

I know some people didn't like the Genoen release as they tried to modernize the show (originally from the 70s) with things like eBay and such.  To be honest at the time I never realized the animation was from a show that old when it originally aired. I guess Japan Animation holds up better then most Western animation.  Sure they did a lot of static images with moving mouths but that was very common of most Japanies animation even in the early to late 90s.

Lupin the Third isn't exactly poetry and while it's clear series 2 takes place in the 70s I didn't have a problem with the modernization. I actually do like the Geneon dub of series II as I think it captures the humor of the series that might otherwise be lost in translation. I've watched all 155 series II episodes and unfortunately the series gets worse  and starts having a much lower good episode percentage around the 80s-90s so where Geneon left off isn't a bad stop.

Well so far I scored:

Lupin the third first haul off eBay for $34 with the seller verifying that the one movie was not the edited verson

Lupin vol 15 for $24

Those Geneon DVDs can get expensive, I have all 15 of them and I know a few go for a small fortune. Last I knew if you want to watch the dubbed episodes they're all free on Hulu.

Most of the other vols for between $3-$6 dollars off amazon only missing vols 5, 10, 12, 13

With holiday expenses I will have to hold off until next month to buy any more. Plan on getting the missing vols and final haul.

I have the individual first haul DVDs and then the final haul set for the funimation movies/TV specials. Just as a warning the video quality on these is piss poor. Nostradamus while possessing great animation looks horrid on the DVD sets.

Then the next month the resent Fujiko series on bluray and the first lupin series.

If you're on a budget and just want to watch them last I knew Fujiko and Green jacket were both on Hulu too. On a side note there's two different series 1/green jacket sets. A cheaper set exists that removes all the bonus material. If you just want to watch the episodes do so over Hulu, if you want it to collect buy the set with the bonuses.

And just keep going from there I guess until I and done.  Sigh.  I just know I am going to rebut these as a bluray comes out and if any more dubs. Although there is clearly a following for this series it never seems to get the kind of release and bundles that would make it more accessible.  Granted O think Dunimation did a great job with their two movie collections totaling ten movies all together they really should reprint these in bluray and do more of the movies IMO.

It's a money thing. Cagliostro is coming out on Blu-Ray in the US, the recent Fujiko series already is. The TV specials/shows were originally created for 480 television and a lot of them don't exactly have stellar animation. Unless TMS still has all of their original film sources for these episodes/specials it's probably not worth it to go back and re-scan/remaster these for higher res TV quality animation releases. As mentioned earlier Discotek is releasing two more of the TV specials next year.
--DragonmasterDan

xelement5x

« Reply #271 on: December 09, 2014, 04:11:18 AM »
Dat Fujiko...
Gredler: spread her legs and push her down to make her more lively<br>***<br>majors: You used to be the great man, this icon we all looked up to and now your just a pico collecting 'tard...oh, how the mighty have fallen...<br>***<br>_joshuaTurbo: Sex, Lies, Rape and Arkhan. A TurboGrafx love story

ClodBuster

• A real powerhouse!
    • Cumonreprocarts.com
« Reply #272 on: December 09, 2014, 07:54:13 AM »
My better half is totally into Lupin III. I helped her with her quest getting hands on all the German DVD releases, which are mainly movies and OVA specials. Most of them are out-of-print for years now, so this involved some exciting last-second-bidding moments on auctions.

She would also like to cosplay Fujiko sometime in the near future. f*ck yeah.

They tried to make me do a recap
I said no, no, no

Medic_wheat

« Reply #273 on: December 09, 2014, 10:59:40 AM »
My better half is totally into Lupin III. I helped her with her quest getting hands on all the German DVD releases, which are mainly movies and OVA specials. Most of them are out-of-print for years now, so this involved some exciting last-second-bidding moments on auctions.

She would also like to cosplay Fujiko sometime in the near future. f*ck yeah.

You know we would have to see this cosplay if and when it happens.

HailingTheThings

« Reply #274 on: December 09, 2014, 03:07:06 PM »
Fujicakes!!!!

ClodBuster

• A real powerhouse!
    • Cumonreprocarts.com
« Reply #275 on: December 10, 2014, 05:29:57 AM »
You know we would have to see this cosplay if and when it happens.

Well, this could take quite a while, but in the meantime here she is dressing as Koyori Kokubunji from Nurse Witch Komugi:

If you guys want to see more pictures, please stay tuned when her official cosplay site opens up in January. I will post a link here in this thread if anybody is interested.

I said no, no, no

Medic_wheat

« Reply #276 on: December 10, 2014, 10:04:40 AM »
Sure by not. Voyager ism at its best

HailingTheThings

« Reply #277 on: December 10, 2014, 03:37:24 PM »
Sure by not. Voyager ism at its best

Hehe. Fan of Star Trek, are we? lol

ClodBuster

• A real powerhouse!
    • Cumonreprocarts.com
« Reply #278 on: January 01, 2015, 10:45:19 AM »
Well, you asked for it, so here you go for more cosplay pics:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/MorninGlory-Cosplay/873433509368465?ref=hl

Besides, there's a winter/Christmas photo contest going until 10th of January:
http://bakayaro.de/weihnachts-cosplay-contest-2014-voting/
Feel free to stop by if you like to. Your votes, especially for Kokiri Girl & NANASE, are highly appreciated.

I wish you all a happy new year! =)
« Last Edit: January 01, 2015, 11:05:50 AM by ClodBuster »

I said no, no, no

sunteam_paul

« Reply #279 on: January 24, 2015, 11:20:35 PM »
What are some good 'Space Cowboy' style anime, in the same style as things like Outlaw Star and Cowboy Bebop?

Is Trigun like that, is it any good?
The PC Engine Software Bible
Quote from: Tatsujin
I just felt in a hole!

Medic_wheat

« Reply #280 on: January 25, 2015, 07:13:36 AM »
What are some good 'Space Cowboy' style anime, in the same style as things like Outlaw Star and Cowboy Bebop?

Those three for me are he only ones that come to mind with a western cowboy theme.

ClodBuster

• A real powerhouse!
    • Cumonreprocarts.com
« Reply #281 on: January 25, 2015, 08:21:01 AM »
Saber Rider and the Star Sheriffs comes to my mind when thinking of Space Cowboy Anime.
I've never seen any episode of it honestly, but it seems like it was pretty popular in the late 80s to early 90s in Germany, where it even got a DVD release later on.

I said no, no, no

SuperGrafx

« Reply #282 on: January 25, 2015, 10:50:40 AM »
The last good anime series I felt compelled to watch was "Mezzo"

It's basically just 3 DVD's worth for the entire run.  Nothing overly mind blowing, but good solid fun.

HailingTheThings

« Reply #283 on: January 25, 2015, 12:00:58 PM »

Trigun is very hot. The Trigun Maximum manga is hotter, though.

xelement5x

« Reply #284 on: January 25, 2015, 01:39:18 PM »
Trigun is like Western themed with a dash of Science Fiction to smooth things out.  I really liked Trigun back in the day, but I don't think it holds up as well today personally.

I actually recently watched the second season of Sword Art Online and it's pretty good.  I think the first arc dragged a bit in some spots, but the shorter parts for the second act were well done.
Gredler: spread her legs and push her down to make her more lively<br>***<br>majors: You used to be the great man, this icon we all looked up to and now your just a pico collecting 'tard...oh, how the mighty have fallen...<br>***<br>_joshuaTurbo: Sex, Lies, Rape and Arkhan. A TurboGrafx love story