Author Topic: The Anime Thread: Finding Good Anime  (Read 30612 times)

xelement5x

Re: The Anime Thread: Finding Good Anime
« Reply #330 on: May 20, 2015, 03:58:49 AM »
I started watching Gargantua just because its in the new Super Robot Wars. I had extremely nice animation and some fun scenes, but it's SUPER cliche ridden, almost like some f*cked up Ender's Game fanfic.

I might have said "Soldier" meets "WaterWorld" ... but basically, "yes", it's not breaking any new ground, just doing what it does very nicely.

With some of the utter crap that's been released recently, I'm pretty happy to find some new anime on NetFlix that rises as high as derivative-but-decent.

I know some of the older stuff that you mention, but there's still lots there that I've not seen and will now look for ... so "thank you" for the list.

But first, I'll have to go and drag the Bubblegum Crisis dvd's out of whatever box they're in.

Netflix has a pretty decent anime selection.  Knights of Sidonia was another pretty good anime they had, the visuals on it were amazing too.
Gredler: spread her legs and push her down to make her more lively<br>***<br>majors: You used to be the great man, this icon we all looked up to and now your just a pico collecting 'tard...oh, how the mighty have fallen...<br>***<br>_joshuaTurbo: Sex, Lies, Rape and Arkhan. A TurboGrafx love story

DragonmasterDan

« Reply #331 on: May 20, 2015, 06:40:01 AM »

Netflix has a pretty decent anime selection.  Knights of Sidonia was another pretty good anime they had, the visuals on it were amazing too.

Almost everything I saw on Netflix was dubbed :(
--DragonmasterDan

SignOfZeta

« Reply #332 on: May 20, 2015, 08:28:00 AM »
Hulu has a lot of shows offered both sub and dub, of course they'll be slathered in advertising...

xelement5x

« Reply #333 on: May 20, 2015, 09:13:26 AM »

Almost everything I saw on Netflix was dubbed :(

I ran into that too, but always double-check closed captioning settings to see the alternate audio tracks.
Gredler: spread her legs and push her down to make her more lively<br>***<br>majors: You used to be the great man, this icon we all looked up to and now your just a pico collecting 'tard...oh, how the mighty have fallen...<br>***<br>_joshuaTurbo: Sex, Lies, Rape and Arkhan. A TurboGrafx love story

ClodBuster

• A real powerhouse!
    • Cumonreprocarts.com
« Reply #334 on: May 20, 2015, 10:15:28 AM »
Yesterday, I tried the Crunchyroll app on the Xbox 360 and happened to come across Wooser's Hand-to-Mouth Life. Wooser is some sort of rabbit and kind of a perverted weirdo living together with two girls. He is fond of meat, school uniforms and money.

The episodes are short, they do not last longer than 5 minutes I think. The art style is pretty close to what you would expect from a Wario Ware or Rhythm Heaven game, with the occasional change in style to mock other animes. There's even a parody of Gunbuster somewhere in season 1.

EDIT: By the way, are there any weblogs out there worth reading? The only one I can think of so far is Colony Drop, but unfortunately they update their site rather infrequently. I even got both printed CD fanzines.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2015, 10:21:56 AM by ClodBuster »

They tried to make me do a recap
I said no, no, no

SignOfZeta

« Reply #335 on: May 21, 2015, 10:05:23 AM »
Colony Drop is terrific. I also love Lets Anime and Newtype/Oldtype.

DragonmasterDan

« Reply #336 on: May 21, 2015, 12:31:44 PM »
Woohoo! My long awaited Castle of Cagliostro US Blu-Ray finally arrived
--DragonmasterDan

Digi.k

« Reply #337 on: May 31, 2015, 08:33:59 AM »
SEGA fans! watch SeHa Girls

The saturn hardware anthropomorphized into anime girls !

SignOfZeta

« Reply #338 on: May 31, 2015, 02:20:34 PM »
No.

wildfruit

« Reply #339 on: May 31, 2015, 07:42:16 PM »

Ha! I haven't watched much stuff from the last 20 years, but this was still hilarious to read.

I watched a bunch of episodes of some detective dog show...I thought it was entertaining.

Otherwise, I'm still watching old stuff I (1) never saw, (2) want to see again.

Since I don't have much free time, I have a long list of old stuff to catch-up on.
Was it Sherlock hound
Also I really like chis sweet home 😊

esteban

« Reply #340 on: May 31, 2015, 11:47:39 PM »

Ha! I haven't watched much stuff from the last 20 years, but this was still hilarious to read.

I watched a bunch of episodes of some detective dog show...I thought it was entertaining.

Otherwise, I'm still watching old stuff I (1) never saw, (2) want to see again.

Since I don't have much free time, I have a long list of old stuff to catch-up on.
Was it Sherlock hound
Also I really like chis sweet home [emoji4]

Yes. Sherlock Hound. I enjoyed it. :)
  |    | 

DragonmasterDan

« Reply #341 on: June 01, 2015, 02:23:59 AM »

I had watched the dubbed versions of it years ago as I believe it had been up on Hulu/Youtube for some time. A US DVD set came out last fall, I picked it up and finally had the opportunity to watch it with the original audio.

It's such a fantastic show with absolutely stellar animation for something created for early 80s television.
--DragonmasterDan

esteban

The Anime Thread: Finding Good Anime
« Reply #342 on: June 01, 2015, 06:57:43 AM »

I had watched the dubbed versions of it years ago as I believe it had been up on Hulu/Youtube for some time. A US DVD set came out last fall, I picked it up and finally had the opportunity to watch it with the original audio.

It's such a fantastic show with absolutely stellar animation for something created for early 80s television.

I hope you are not teasing me, because I actually liked that damn show...granted, I did not see every episode.  :)

Now I have to go back and finish watching a series that I started 2-3 years ago...it was something that geise or elabit or punkicCyborg or _____________ suggested in this very thread. I was really enjoying it. Mech + cute little fairy + goofballs + lady rivals + cliche + cliche + cliche 80's....but it was fun!

Subbed by fans.  YouTube.

I hope it is still available.
  |    | 

xelement5x

« Reply #343 on: June 01, 2015, 09:51:42 AM »

I hope you are not teasing me, because I actually liked that damn show...granted, I did not see every episode.  :)

Now I have to go back and finish watching a series that I started 2-3 years ago...it was something that geise or elabit or punkicCyborg or _____________ suggested in this very thread. I was really enjoying it. Mech + cute little fairy + goofballs + lady rivals + cliche + cliche + cliche 80's....but it was fun!

Subbed by fans.  YouTube.

I hope it is still available.

That sounds like Heavy Metal L-gaim maybe?

I agree that Se-Ha girls is lots of fun as just a goofy anime.  The huge number of in jokes going around regarding Sega games and hardware really make it a love letter to the fans.

esteban

« Reply #344 on: June 01, 2015, 09:56:13 AM »
Heavy Metal L-Gaim!

I gotta watch this...I might even start over from the beginning since its been so long....
  |    |