Author Topic: The Anime Thread: Finding Good Anime  (Read 30719 times)

SignOfZeta

Re: The Anime Thread: Finding Good Anime
« Reply #345 on: June 01, 2015, 11:29:37 AM »
I love Sherlock Hound. I have the wonderful LD Memorial Box and the theatrical release, which was basically two episodes with slight differences. This theatrical version was how it debuted to the public, it played with Nausciaa's roadshow release in 1984 and the series started airing later that year.

That episode where Mrs Hudson is revealed to have a past as an aviator was so awesome...she didn't do much in the Conan Doyle version...

I need to get that U.S. DVD set now when I'm thinking about it. I'll want it in a few years when my kid is old enough to grasp it.

Edit: I found a good pic of the Memorial Box. Each of those discs is gatefold, btw, with art on the back side that is just as good as the front. The book contains konte and direction, the phone card...is just a phone card.

« Last Edit: June 01, 2015, 11:38:59 AM by SignOfZeta »

esteban

« Reply #346 on: June 01, 2015, 12:08:09 PM »
Sherlock Hound. Damn, what a gorgeous presentation for the Memorial Box.
  |    | 

DragonmasterDan

« Reply #347 on: June 01, 2015, 12:15:42 PM »

I hope you are not teasing me, because I actually liked that damn show...granted, I did not see every episode.  :)

Oh I like it as well.

It's a bit of a kids show, but the animation quality has no equal. It has an element of fun and Miyazaki mayhem to it.
--DragonmasterDan

esteban

« Reply #348 on: June 01, 2015, 12:18:42 PM »

I hope you are not teasing me, because I actually liked that damn show...granted, I did not see every episode.  :)

Oh I like it as well.

It's a bit of a kids show, but the animation quality has no equal. It has an element of fun and Miyazaki mayhem to it.

:)
  |    | 

SignOfZeta

« Reply #349 on: June 01, 2015, 01:31:17 PM »
I lied guys. I think the jackets are actually not gatefold since the thing is only 13 sides. However, I'm still pretty sure there is special art on both sides. I haven't watched it in a couple of years and I'm at work so I can't check.

wildfruit

« Reply #350 on: June 02, 2015, 12:23:29 PM »
I got the uk dvd release about 5 years ago when it came out on the manga label. Normally I don't enjoy dubbed stuff but I find it very watchable and engaging. Nothing really special in the packing to compare with that LD though. But better than not having it at all. 11 hours of fun! Love that theme tune.

ShadowKitty777

« Reply #351 on: June 08, 2015, 10:23:19 PM »
Most new anime is crap, but Parasyte the Maxim was pretty good. I highly recommend. Kinda funny to me one of the only newer animes worth watching right now is based off an older manga (originally published in the late 80's-90's)

(Also Resident 4 completely ripped a lot of designs from this series, which was pretty interesting)

DragonmasterDan

« Reply #352 on: June 09, 2015, 03:52:51 AM »
I finished watching Lupin: From Siberia With Love (the proper title is From Russia with love but for copyright reasons it was changed for the US release).

I have The Tale of Princess Kaguya and Demon City Shinuku stacked up on my shelf waiting to be watched next.
--DragonmasterDan

ClodBuster

• A real powerhouse!
    • Cumonreprocarts.com
« Reply #353 on: June 09, 2015, 03:52:57 AM »

Work in progress cover for Orguss, release in August (tentative).

Source:
http://www.discotekmedia.com/blog/?m=201506

By the way, my better half involved me in watching Kill la Kill with her on Blu-ray. Although I'm not that much into newish animation, I found the first four episodes funny and well-drawn enough to go on. Thankfully most of CGI was found only in the first episode, and it looked decent enough to be not totally out of place.
I also tried the first two episodes of Super Sonico on Crunchyroll, and even though it has massive tits, I found the story unentertaining and the main character not likeable enough to go on. I was also highly irritated by the CGI animated band in the ending songs.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2015, 03:54:59 AM by ClodBuster »

They tried to make me do a recap
I said no, no, no

esteban

« Reply #354 on: June 09, 2015, 09:05:12 AM »

I finished watching Lupin: From Siberia With Love (the proper title is From Russia with love but for copyright reasons it was changed for the US release).

I have The Tale of Princess Kaguya and Demon City Shinuku stacked up on my shelf waiting to be watched next.

I haven't seen Demon City Shinjuku since it was released here in the States. Over 20 years, I think.
  |    | 

xelement5x

« Reply #355 on: June 09, 2015, 09:31:44 AM »
Kill la Kill is fun and over the top like Gurren Lagann. 

I am almost done with Sora no Woto and it's been a nice little series.  Very slice of life so far, only a couple of episodes left.
Gredler: spread her legs and push her down to make her more lively<br>***<br>majors: You used to be the great man, this icon we all looked up to and now your just a pico collecting 'tard...oh, how the mighty have fallen...<br>***<br>_joshuaTurbo: Sex, Lies, Rape and Arkhan. A TurboGrafx love story

Gredler

« Reply #356 on: June 10, 2015, 07:34:13 AM »
Rookie chiming in so please ignore if this is horrible, but I've never seen Fist of the North Star until very recently, and I really enjoyed it. After seeing Mad Max and being so amped on that world, I thought it'd be a good time to try FoNS out, and I was not wrong. I really enjoyed the first 100 episodes. I am watching it on hulu in the background at work, and it's a blast. I am going to see it through, though the interesting story arc already finished lol

xelement5x

« Reply #357 on: June 10, 2015, 08:39:38 AM »
I just finished watching Gargantia on the Verdurous Planet on Netflix last night with my wife and was really pleased with it all, thanks to others for the recommendation.  It's nice to have a 13 episode series that does such a good job getting you invested in the characters and is able to bring the story to a nice conclusion as well. 

Gredler: spread her legs and push her down to make her more lively<br>***<br>majors: You used to be the great man, this icon we all looked up to and now your just a pico collecting 'tard...oh, how the mighty have fallen...<br>***<br>_joshuaTurbo: Sex, Lies, Rape and Arkhan. A TurboGrafx love story

TR0N

« Reply #358 on: June 10, 2015, 08:21:23 PM »

Work in progress cover for Orguss, release in August (tentative).

Source:
http://www.discotekmedia.com/blog/?m=201506

By the way, my better half involved me in watching Kill la Kill with her on Blu-ray. Although I'm not that much into newish animation, I found the first four episodes funny and well-drawn enough to go on. Thankfully most of CGI was found only in the first episode, and it looked decent enough to be not totally out of place.
I also tried the first two episodes of Super Sonico on Crunchyroll, and even though it has massive tits, I found the story unentertaining and the main character not likeable enough to go on. I was also highly irritated by the CGI animated band in the ending songs.

I know i'll buy the official release of orugss on dvd.Just so i can replace my bootleg copy of it.Now if only discotekmedia,could get the rights to gallforce among other 80's anime.

PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

ClodBuster

• A real powerhouse!
    • Cumonreprocarts.com
« Reply #359 on: June 11, 2015, 03:11:57 AM »
As far as I can remember, some Gallforce episodes (or movies, or OVAs? I have no clue) had been released on DVD in the US. Although a complete collection boxset would be nice to avoid buying the DVDs separately. I haven't seen one of the Gallforce episodes yet, but I would like to get my hands on them due to Sonoda's character design and some screenshots look like there are tie-ins with Bubblegum Crisis and other animations based on his designs.

They tried to make me do a recap
I said no, no, no