Author Topic: The Anime Thread: Finding Good Anime  (Read 30645 times)

VenomMacbeth

Re: The Anime Thread: Finding Good Anime
« Reply #360 on: June 11, 2015, 03:29:08 AM »
Just watched Paprika the other night.  What an awesome movie, way better than Inception.
Play Turbografx.
Play the Turbografx. PLAY
THE TURBOGRAFX!!!!!!

Buh buh buh, I have almost all teh games evar.  I R TEH BESTEST COLLECTR!!

xelement5x

« Reply #361 on: June 12, 2015, 07:25:19 AM »
So I just finished watching Sora no Woto and it was pretty great. Slice of life + coming of age with a majestic backdrop and excellent music. The characters are all younger so some people might write it off as a moeblob drama but I think they are all distinct and solid characters as the show progresses.  The music in the show (and music itself) plays an integral part in the storytelling.

It's 14 episodes in total (one in the middle is a mid-season extra episode) so very easy to watch and finish.  The second-to-last episode was a wonderful culmination of the series, showcasing the growth of the characters and the world itself, it almost brought me to tears actually.  The final episode was also a great wrap for the story and everyone as well.  I'd recommend it to a lot of folks, if anything give the opening extended episode a try and see what you think.
Gredler: spread her legs and push her down to make her more lively<br>***<br>majors: You used to be the great man, this icon we all looked up to and now your just a pico collecting 'tard...oh, how the mighty have fallen...<br>***<br>_joshuaTurbo: Sex, Lies, Rape and Arkhan. A TurboGrafx love story

DragonmasterDan

« Reply #362 on: June 14, 2015, 03:39:04 PM »

I haven't seen Demon City Shinjuku since it was released here in the States. Over 20 years, I think.

I watched it last night.

Having watched so much Lupin I immediately recognized the main villian's  voice actor as the guy who is the voice of Jigen. I looked it up afterwards and my suspicion was confirmed.
--DragonmasterDan

esteban

« Reply #363 on: June 15, 2015, 12:02:25 AM »

I haven't seen Demon City Shinjuku since it was released here in the States. Over 20 years, I think.

I watched it last night.

Having watched so much Lupin I immediately recognized the main villian's  voice actor as the guy who is the voice of Jigen. I looked it up afterwards and my suspicion was confirmed.

Ha! :)
  |    | 

ShadowKitty777

« Reply #364 on: June 18, 2015, 11:13:02 PM »
Just watched Paprika the other night.  What an awesome movie, way better than Inception.
Awesome movie. Have you seen Perfect Blue? (Same director)

@ the mention of Kill la Kill I really like that series, it's pretty fun to watch. It's like a parody of action animes, yet a pretty entertaining action anime at the same time.

After seeing the new Mad Max for the 2nd time, I want to re-watch Fist of the North Star again.

DragonmasterDan

« Reply #365 on: June 19, 2015, 06:38:21 AM »
Neo Tokyo and Redline are next in line for me to watch.
--DragonmasterDan

NightWolve

« Reply #366 on: July 09, 2015, 01:44:00 AM »
My Studio Ghibli marathon is pretty close to being finished. Recent one I saw was Whisper of the Heart. I found it OK, and as usual, Disney takes pride in their dubbing work and mostly does a great job with it.

Finally saw Ghost in the Shell for the first time after years of hearing about it. A recent new one I tried was Appleseed Alpha which I thought was pretty solid, not great, but B- level decent. I tend to like SciFi post-apocalyptic themes.

Awesome movie. Have you seen Perfect Blue? (Same director)

Oh, that was the Perfect Blue guy, huh... No wonder, I can believe that. I was given a VHS of Perfect Blue as a gift. Yeah, it's a heck of a movie certainly. I still have "Excuse me, who are you? Excuse me, who are you?" repeating in me and fully associated with it...

DragonmasterDan

« Reply #367 on: July 09, 2015, 02:55:13 AM »
My Studio Ghibli marathon is pretty close to being finished. Recent one I saw was Whisper of the Heart. I found it OK, and as usual, Disney takes pride in their dubbing work and mostly does a great job with it.

I just can't watch the dubbed versions of those.

I had such a terrible experience with Howl's Moving Castle's dub I've just given up. I do like Whisper of the Heart as far as "slice of life" style anime films.
--DragonmasterDan

xelement5x

« Reply #368 on: July 09, 2015, 03:50:02 AM »
Season 2 of Knights of Sidonia is out on Netflix so I have started watching that.  Still as awesome as before for the handful of episodes I'm into it. 

I also discovered and anime store where I live, traded in a bunch of old stuff for like $50 credit and banked it for now.  Will try and dig up more goodies eventually to dump and maybe get like the Cowboy Beboy Blu-Ray set. 
Gredler: spread her legs and push her down to make her more lively<br>***<br>majors: You used to be the great man, this icon we all looked up to and now your just a pico collecting 'tard...oh, how the mighty have fallen...<br>***<br>_joshuaTurbo: Sex, Lies, Rape and Arkhan. A TurboGrafx love story

wilykat

« Reply #369 on: July 09, 2015, 08:01:02 AM »
Of the films by Ghibli, Wind Rises is one of the very few that didn't appeal to me.  It is Miyazaki's last work and it's more like a fictionalized biography of a boy who helped design planes and were one behind the famous Zero that fought against USA in WWII.  The girl he married IRL was not sick like in the movie and did have children.

PunkicCyborg

« Reply #370 on: July 09, 2015, 11:25:24 AM »
Watching Kimagure Orange Road. Is there a better romance anime? It's amazing
(19:28:25) GE0: superdead told me in whisper that his favorite game is mario paint

TR0N

« Reply #371 on: July 09, 2015, 07:57:36 PM »
Knights of Sidonia,season two is up on netflik now.What else can i can say about this sci-fi drama mystery etc.If you enjoy the first season id suggest checking it out.

PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

DragonmasterDan

« Reply #372 on: July 09, 2015, 11:19:20 PM »
I have Venus Wars sitting on top of a pile of DVDs in the "soon to be watched" stack.
--DragonmasterDan

datbuta

« Reply #373 on: July 17, 2015, 03:52:03 AM »

I normally watch studio ghibli movies monthly.. but over the years i only watched grave of the fireflies twice... the second time just a couple days ago... its soo sad.. plus i think setsuko's mannerisms are so close to being child like.. its sad..

esteban

« Reply #374 on: July 17, 2015, 05:38:22 AM »

I normally watch studio ghibli movies monthly.. but over the years i only watched grave of the fireflies twice... the second time just a couple days ago... its soo sad.. plus i think setsuko's mannerisms are so close to being child like.. its sad..

Grave of the Fireflies is a favorite of mine.

Once I had kids, the movie took on an additional level of beauty/tragedy. 
  |    |