Author Topic: The Anime Thread: Finding Good Anime  (Read 30628 times)

NightWolve

Re: The Anime Thread: Finding Good Anime
« Reply #375 on: July 17, 2015, 05:45:42 AM »
Grave of the Fireflies is a favorite of mine.

Once I had kids, the movie took on an additional level of beauty/tragedy.

I saw that a few weeks ago actually. It's not my favorite in their library, but it was alright. I can't recall seeing an anti-war anime before so that was a first.

DragonmasterDan

« Reply #376 on: July 17, 2015, 06:32:59 AM »

I saw that a few weeks ago actually. It's not my favorite in their library, but it was alright. I can't recall seeing an anti-war anime before so that was a first.

Did you ever see Barefoot Gen ?
--DragonmasterDan

fluxcore

« Reply #377 on: July 17, 2015, 09:00:24 AM »
Anyone who likes mind games (see jojos's young joseph arc) should definitely check out 'One Outs'. Give it 4 eps and you'll be hooked :) There's a lowish quality subbed version on youtube.
There is no knowledge that is not power

PunkicCyborg

« Reply #378 on: July 17, 2015, 12:25:51 PM »
Seriously Kimagure Orange Road. My wife and I are totally hooked. I can't believe I missed this in the mid 90s when it came out in the US from AnimEigo. Can't recommend this one highly enough!
(19:28:25) GE0: superdead told me in whisper that his favorite game is mario paint

wilykat

« Reply #379 on: July 17, 2015, 02:53:05 PM »
For those who liked Graves of the Fireflies and wanted something to make you cry, try Tokyo Magnitude 8.0

One of the rare few anime that can make me cry.

SignOfZeta

« Reply #380 on: July 17, 2015, 02:58:41 PM »

First off, anyone who isn't completely reduced to a blubbering wreck by GotF is a certifiable psychopath. I always knew, now you've given us proof.

As for anti-war anime...I guess you haven't seen very much anime.

NightWolve

« Reply #381 on: July 18, 2015, 12:06:36 PM »

First off, anyone who isn't completely reduced to a blubbering wreck by GotF is a certifiable psychopath. I always knew, now you've given us proof.

Wait, what ? Are you implying because I thought it was "alright" that I didn't think it was a sad or tragic depiction of the costs of war and so worth ? Your leap of conclusion based on what I said is what is psycho... Heh. Yeah, it's a moving/touching/sad/tragic type of movie. You want me to put it at the top of my favorites as far as Studio Ghibli releases else otherwise I'm a "psycho" ?? ...

Le Zeta is usually more rational than this. I'll chaulk it up to a fluke this time.

Correct, I haven't seen very much anime. I believe I've said as much somewhere here. This would be the first anime I've seen set in a wartime situation (in this case, WWII) as I said.

Did you ever see Barefoot Gen ?

Nope.

ClodBuster

• A real powerhouse!
    • Cumonreprocarts.com
« Reply #382 on: July 18, 2015, 10:06:20 PM »
I saw Grave of the Fireflies once on TV, back in the day where I recorded many previous "video only" releases on VHS.

To be honest, I did not liked that film. But I can understand that other people appreciate it more than me, and well, that's fine.

They tried to make me do a recap
I said no, no, no

NightWolve

« Reply #383 on: July 18, 2015, 11:10:34 PM »
Uh-oh, I guess you're a "psychopath" too, Clod, according to snapperhead Chad (AKA Zeta) there for not loving the movie like he does... Heaven forbid... I guess I should blow a gasket every time I read somebody else doesn't love a movie like I do... Yeah, that's a good reason to assault someone's character... Makes total f--king sense!

I didn't trash it, I didn't say it sucked ballz or it can suck deez nutz, I just said I wouldn't add it to my favorites of the SG library and I only found it "alright." Hardly the condemnation of the century! If you can't process that, if it got you that butthurt, Chad, then go f--k yourself!

If you do not retract and apologize for insulting me to that level over something like this, then I'm one step away from withdrawing my respect for you and you're not gonna get it back! If you don't care, hey, that's fine too, but I'm making it clear to you.

You pop in here out of nowhere to intimidate for sharing an opinion on movie taste like that, I dunno, got up on the wrong side of bed ? Bipolar much ? Please DO explain your crazed psycho fanboy rationale for going from 'a' (the movie was alright to me) to 'z' (OMG, only a psychopath wouldn't love this movie as much as *I* do!)! I wanna hear it!
« Last Edit: July 18, 2015, 11:32:16 PM by NightWolve »

ClodBuster

• A real powerhouse!
    • Cumonreprocarts.com
« Reply #384 on: July 18, 2015, 11:50:55 PM »
I'm fine with being a psychpath.

At the same time, I can't stand watching surgery on TV for my life, while my better half has no trouble seeing blood, bones and internal organs spilled all around the table. The messier, the better she said once to me.

I said no, no, no

SignOfZeta

« Reply #385 on: July 20, 2015, 02:27:13 PM »
The movie is not "okay", it's a masterpiece. By no means do I suggest that it should be everyone's favorite Ghibli movie. It certainly isn't mine. The thing's just too impractical. "Hi, honey. I got this movie we should see. Do you mind spending the next 10 years in therapy? Good. Here's 'Grave of the Fireflies'". It should have all the warnings on the box that you get on a bottle of antidepressants. It's literally dangerous.

The last time I saw even a frame of this movie was when my group showed it as part of a film series at a public library. I introduced the film, set a timer, and didn't come until I knew the credits would be running so I could do the follow up session. That was nearly ten years ago, and probably 10 years since I saw it then. The movie is basically unwatchable for me.

However, the same can be said for A Clockwork Orange, Johnny Got His Gun, The Grapes of Wrath,  The Sorrow and The Pitty, Bicycle Theif, etc. What makes people psychopaths is when they spend 90 minutes watching a film where adorable children should starve to death, then you find out it's based on a guy's autobiographical tale, that there was a real life Setsuko who really did starve to death only the movie glossed over a few things so that it wouldn't be too f*cked up and depressing. The whole thing is animated by absolute masters who went way out of their way (name another animated film from 1988 that had hand drawn lines, because xerography can't do brown, and they had to be brown to get the point across with this kind of subtlety) risking the possible future of the new Studio Ghibli if it was a flop. The whole thing was made for about 3.7M USD, or roughly what gets spent advertising Ant Man in the time it took me to type this sentence. Then you say, "eh, it's OK". That's psychopathic.

I've see a lot of war movies, the best of which rarely claim to be "anti-war" because the tragedies are so vast that they seem to condem not just war, but the human condition in general, so depressing and terrible that even war just seems like another part of how f*cked it all is.

Liking it or not has nothing to do with it. If you directly dissed my favorite movie of all time I would probably just ignore it. People with no taste will suck up all your time if you let them, and them not being able to enjoy great works is %100 their loss. It doesn't matter how we feel about star ratings or whatever. In this cause, the quality is unimpeachable, if you can't see that, whatever, but movies can be more than just flickering images made to entertain during their running time, and if here ever was a movie that did it, this is it. You have to literally have something wrong with you to not be changed forever, just a little bit, by seeing this movie. I would say from your explosive reaction that I'm probably not the first person to diagnose you, correctly or not.

SignOfZeta

« Reply #386 on: July 20, 2015, 02:31:20 PM »
Btw, do you seriously watch these movies dubbed? Is it because you have 7 year old children or...?

I'm not sure those kids should really be seeing Firefiles, not unless they are fully prepared and willing and supported. This shit can do real damage they'll hate you for when they become older.

NightWolve

« Reply #387 on: July 20, 2015, 03:10:36 PM »
So, let's review this again...

* Person A pops in a thread to share an opinion on a movie (of the anime variety in this case):

* Person B, apparently so butthurt by the above opinion has a crazed, emotional overreaction and pops in said thread to assault Person A's character in this way:

So, Person B calls Person A a psychopath, claims his above opinion on a movie gives proof of it, adds in the fact that he has baggage associated with the view to back it up (the "I always knew" addition), etc. whatever that is...

* In a great twist, Person B now accuses Person A of an overreaction to that level of character assault over a brief opinion on not really being a fan of a particular movie... Imagine if Person A had outright trashed the movie!

I get what the movie is all about, what it conveys. This movie shows you the devastation of war, everyday people that just wanted to live their lives who had nothing to do with the imperialism, militantcy, world conquest notions that others in their society did but nonetheless suffered the consequences of what that warring brought back. This particular brother and sister lose their parents, their home, are left to fend for themselves, they try to live with a relative for a time who really didn't want them, so eventually they find a cave and decide to survive on their own. This proves fatal for the brother's sister who dies on him because he failed to find food in time and so forth...

So yes, it's a sad/tragic wartime tale and all of that. But, I started with later Studio Ghibli titles in the library and only after I decided to go down the list of their animes did I come to this particular one. I've seen better wartime movies surrounding the theme of loss, tragedy and so forth and that were far better at inducing tearjerking reactions. This one didn't do so and like I said, I wouldn't add it to my favorites, I found it "alright" in terms of quality. I probably wouldn't watch it again because it just wasn't that good and since I know the plot now.

Anyway, I feel kind of a dupe now for defending you in private chat against someone here who feels you're just "a piece of shit keyboard warrior" and to be honest, I was not sure of Professor's hardtrolling you in the past was earned/deserved, but I think I can see now how he came to find the justification for it... Yeah, I had a feeling a$$hole-ism and pride would win out in this case, and it did. Sorry, but you're going on the peripheral ignore here on out. That shit was uncalled for given that opinion and you f--king know it, frankly!

If somebody had told me THAT particular comment would be the source of drama, I wouldn't have believed it! No way! I know when I'm being trollish, when I'm being provocative, when I'm being uppity and can expect to get challenged, with or without nastiness, but NO WAY did I think I would get trolled for that particular comment! That shit was 4chan/GameFAQs level reaction/intolerance to differing viewpoints. Snapperhead Chad made something reality I wouldn't have believed originally! Just sayin' as a natural reaction from A to B... Like I said then, go f--k yourself.

ClodBuster

• A real powerhouse!
    • Cumonreprocarts.com
« Reply #388 on: July 20, 2015, 10:18:24 PM »
Sometimes I am very confused when I mix up the abbreviations GOTF and GTFO in this thread. I feel embarrassed now.

I said no, no, no

esteban

The Anime Thread: Finding Good Anime
« Reply #389 on: July 20, 2015, 11:03:41 PM »
Sometimes I am very confused when I mix up the abbreviations GOTF and GTFO in this thread. I feel embarrassed now.

"Get off the floor" (GOTF)
is simply a nicer way of saying
"GTFO"
when you are at your favorite discotheque.

Don't be embarrassed. We all suspected that you were a fan of Giorgio Moroder, anyway.

I am.
  |    |