Author Topic: The Anime Thread: Finding Good Anime  (Read 30639 times)

esteban

Re: The Anime Thread: Finding Good Anime
« Reply #435 on: July 24, 2015, 12:36:10 AM »

Best anime ever right here.

Hell yes.

:)
  |    | 

TR0N

« Reply #436 on: July 24, 2015, 12:47:21 AM »

Ditto i first got into dirty pair through the adam warren comics.Then what little streamline pictures released here.Damn,it sure took a long time for the tv series to make it here officially.After watching it i find it more comedic then the movies are.I enjoy project eden the most as well,best out of the three dirty pair movies.

I have fond memories of the Streamline pictures released movies. I actually picked up a DVD set a few years ago with three of them.

The TV series I watched a few episodes of via the Manga Entertainment channel that is on Xbox live and it didn't blow me away.
Yeah streamline pictures had there own english dub.The dirty pair tv series is fine for what it is.Girls with guns added with action and comedy mixed in.Though the show only lasted 24 episodes due to low ratings,which lead to the ova's and movies.I didn't know there was a manga entertainment channel for the XBAL.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2015, 12:48:56 AM by TR0N »

PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

DragonmasterDan

« Reply #437 on: July 24, 2015, 12:48:44 AM »

Yeah streamline pictures had there own english dub.The dirty pair tv series is fine for what it is.Girls with guns add with action and comedy mixed in.Though the show only lasted 24 episodes due to low ratings,which lead to the ova's and movies.I didn't know there was a manga entertainment channel for the XBAL.

From what I recall there was a second dirty pair animated series done maybe a year or two later that was also on the Manga channel.

And yeah, it's there but I believe it requires an Xbox Live Gold subscription which I long ago allowed to expire.
--DragonmasterDan

SephirothTNH

« Reply #438 on: July 24, 2015, 12:49:34 AM »
Nausicaa is better but Warriors of the wind is what started it all for me.  I must have worn out my video stores copy back in the day. 

What's kind of lame about the copy of it that I have is it's a legitimate pre-recorded VHS tape, but they recorded it at SLP (I'm not sure how many people remember that VHS had different speed settings that effected video quality and duration of the tape). So cheap.

How do you know yours is recorded in SLP.  I need to check my copy.  I hope I don't need to track down a Standard Play copy. 

Although I made a cap of mine and it looks pretty good so I would be surprised to find that my copy is in Super Long Play.

Hell yes.

:)
The man knows.  The man Knows!

TR0N

« Reply #439 on: July 24, 2015, 12:50:08 AM »

Yeah streamline pictures had there own english dub.The dirty pair tv series is fine for what it is.Girls with guns add with action and comedy mixed in.Though the show only lasted 24 episodes due to low ratings,which lead to the ova's and movies.I didn't know there was a manga entertainment channel for the XBAL.

From what I recall there was a second dirty pair animated series done maybe a year or two later that was also on the Manga channel.

And yeah, it's there but I believe it requires an Xbox Live Gold subscription which I long ago allowed to expire.
Didn't know i had never had a xbox.

PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

DragonmasterDan

« Reply #440 on: July 24, 2015, 12:52:22 AM »
Nausicaa is better but Warriors of the wind is what started it all for me.  I must have worn out my video stores copy back in the day. 

What's kind of lame about the copy of it that I have is it's a legitimate pre-recorded VHS tape, but they recorded it at SLP (I'm not sure how many people remember that VHS had different speed settings that effected video quality and duration of the tape). So cheap.

How do you know yours is recorded in SLP.  I need to check my copy.  I hope I don't need to track down a Standard Play copy. 

Although I made a cap of mine and it looks pretty good so I would be surprised to find that my copy is in Super Long Play.

The on-screen HUD on my VCR indicated it was SLP when I popped the tape in. I know not all VCRs list that on their HUD or menu's.
--DragonmasterDan

SephirothTNH

« Reply #441 on: July 24, 2015, 12:54:50 AM »
Oh yeah I remember some of my vcrs growing up did that.  I'm not sure if either of my current ones do.  I'm just going to pretend I never heard of this being a possibility.

DragonmasterDan

« Reply #442 on: July 24, 2015, 01:01:13 AM »
Oh yeah I remember some of my vcrs growing up did that.  I'm not sure if either of my current ones do.  I'm just going to pretend I never heard of this being a possibility.

It's also quite possible since this was kind of a budget release to import and dub that a standard play copy of it doesn't exist.
--DragonmasterDan

SephirothTNH

« Reply #443 on: July 24, 2015, 01:19:25 AM »
That's certainly possible.

ClodBuster

• A real powerhouse!
    • Cumonreprocarts.com
« Reply #444 on: July 24, 2015, 03:36:46 AM »
I never heard of pre-recorded longplay VHS - I was assuming that feature was only used for TV recordings done by the user. I think that pose a lot of problems for owners of VHS recorders that didn't support longplay. I know I had to bring my own recorder with me back in the late 90s to school when we watched a TV recorded copy of Kitano's Hana-Bi at our Japanese culture club, since none of the school's VHS recorders featured longplay.

They tried to make me do a recap
I said no, no, no

esteban

The Anime Thread: Finding Good Anime
« Reply #445 on: July 24, 2015, 04:05:28 AM »
I never heard of pre-recorded longplay VHS - I was assuming that feature was only used for TV recordings done by the user. I think that pose a lot of problems for owners of VHS recorders that didn't support longplay. I know I had to bring my own recorder with me back in the late 90s to school when we watched a TV recorded copy of Kitano's Hana-Bi at our Japanese culture club, since none of the school's VHS recorders featured longplay.

SP
LP
SLP

I remember most VCR decks supports all three speeds, but in the mid-80's I was surprised that LP was the speed that I sometimes had trouble finding support for.

Or maybe it was SLP? I honestly have forgotten. I used to know. Dammit.

It's also quite possible since this was kind of a budget release to import and dub that a standard play copy of it doesn't exist.

I am sure that only the SLP version exists. Only because that would be the way to have a budget release.

The budget movies I bought back in the day were almost always recorded at a slower speed.

This would be mid- to late-80's and I was getting Metropolis and Night of the Living Dead  and 1960's beach films. Frankie & Annette.

I originally wrote Donny & Marie. Senility.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2015, 04:13:49 AM by esteban »
  |    | 

DragonmasterDan

« Reply #446 on: July 24, 2015, 04:24:20 AM »

SP
LP
SLP

I remember most VCR decks supports all three speeds, but in the mid-80's I was surprised that LP was the speed that I sometimes had trouble finding support for.

All the ones I've seen supported all three speeds. But I could certainly imagine early ones might not have.

I am sure that only the SLP version exists. Only because that would be the way to have a budget release.

The budget movies I bought back in the day were almost always recorded at a slower speed.

This would be mid- to late-80's and I was getting Metropolis and Night of the Living Dead  and 1960's beach films. Frankie & Annette.

I originally wrote Donny & Marie. Senility.

Night of the Living Dead was/is public domain. So that's exactly what I would have expected to see in the dollar bin on VHS probably recorded with SLP on a tape that did maybe 40 minutes if it were SP.
--DragonmasterDan

ClodBuster

• A real powerhouse!
    • Cumonreprocarts.com
« Reply #447 on: July 24, 2015, 04:25:40 AM »
I guess this must be a US thing then. VHS Longplay wasn't a common feature in PAL Europe area, and mostly non-existant on the bread-and-butter Monoaural recorders sold in masses in the 90s. That feature was mainly reserved for the more expensive HiFi-Stereo VHS and S-VHS recorders that weren't very common until DVD hit the market anyways.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2015, 04:27:18 AM by ClodBuster »

They tried to make me do a recap
I said no, no, no

DragonmasterDan

« Reply #448 on: July 24, 2015, 04:29:08 AM »
I guess this must be a US thing then. VHS Longplay wasn't a common feature in PAL Europe area, and mostly non-existant on the bread-and-butter Monoaural recorders sold in masses in the 90s. That feature was mainly reserved for the more expensive HiFi-Stereo VHS and S-VHS recorders that weren't very common until DVD hit the market anyways.

Ahh you're in Europe.

That would definitely explain why you haven't seen pre-recorded tapes at other speeds.

Added in edit: I don't recall seeing VHS players in North America that didn't support all three speeds. I know the one my parents purchased when I was about two years old (1983) definitely did all three speeds for example. A lot of budget VHS tapes would use the lower speed just to save on manufacturing costs.

I do remember the middle speed sometimes being called EP for Extended Play.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2015, 04:31:13 AM by DragonmasterDan »
--DragonmasterDan

SephirothTNH

« Reply #449 on: July 24, 2015, 04:35:36 AM »
I thought EP was synonyms with SLP.  Anyway being born in 1983 I also don't recall ever seeing a VCR that wouldn't do all three speeds.  The first VCR I remember was one of those top loading ones and even it could do all three.