Author Topic: The Anime Thread: Finding Good Anime  (Read 31089 times)

DragonmasterDan

Re: The Anime Thread: Finding Good Anime
« Reply #450 on: July 24, 2015, 05:01:13 AM »
I thought EP was synonyms with SLP.  Anyway being born in 1983 I also don't recall ever seeing a VCR that wouldn't do all three speeds.  The first VCR I remember was one of those top loading ones and even it could do all three.

So I decided to spend a whole minute and check wikipedia and discovered.....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VHS#Technical_details

A VHS cassette holds a maximum of about 430 m (1,410 ft.) of tape at the lowest acceptable tape thickness, giving a maximum playing time of about four hours in an DF480 for NTSC and five hours in an E-300 for PAL at "standard play" (SP) quality. Other speeds include "long play" (LP), and "extended play" (EP) or "super long play" (SLP) (standard on NTSC; rarely found on PAL machines). For NTSC, LP and EP/SLP doubles and triples the recording time accordingly, but these speed reductions cause a slight reduction in video quality – from the normal 250 lines in SP, to 230 analog lines horizontal in LP and even less in EP/SLP. The slower speeds cause a very noticeable reduction in linear (non-hifi) audio track quality as well, as the linear tape speed becomes much lower than what is commonly considered a satisfactory minimum for audio recording.

So it seems like the Super Long Play was  uncommon in PAL territories while universal in NTSC-lands.
--DragonmasterDan

esteban

« Reply #451 on: July 24, 2015, 06:53:02 AM »
I thought EP was synonyms with SLP.  Anyway being born in 1983 I also don't recall ever seeing a VCR that wouldn't do all three speeds.  The first VCR I remember was one of those top loading ones and even it could do all three.

A VHS cassette holds a maximum of about 430 m (1,410 ft.) of tape at the lowest acceptable tape thickness, giving a maximum playing time of about four hours in an DF480 for NTSC and five hours in an E-300 for PAL at "standard play" (SP) quality. Other speeds include "long play" (LP), and "extended play" (EP) or "super long play" (SLP) (standard on NTSC; rarely found on PAL machines). For NTSC, LP and EP/SLP doubles and triples the recording time accordingly, but these speed reductions cause a slight reduction in video quality – from the normal 250 lines in SP, to 230 analog lines horizontal in LP and even less in EP/SLP. The slower speeds cause a very noticeable reduction in linear (non-hifi) audio track quality as well, as the linear tape speed becomes much lower than what is commonly considered a satisfactory minimum for audio recording.

So it seems like the Super Long Play was  uncommon in PAL territories while universal in NTSC-lands.

TOTALLY RANDOM: I remember getting a "VCP" for my aunt. That's right. All it did was play videocassettes, hence the "P"....I had no idea such a thing existed until helping her out.
  |    | 

DragonmasterDan

« Reply #452 on: July 24, 2015, 06:55:51 AM »

TOTALLY RANDOM: I remember getting a "VCP" for my aunt. That's right. All it did was play videocassettes, hence the "P"....I had no idea such a thing existed until helping her out.

I vaguely recall my elementary school having such a device that would roll in on a cart along with a CRT so we could watch movies.
--DragonmasterDan

ClodBuster

• A real powerhouse!
    • Cumonreprocarts.com
« Reply #453 on: July 24, 2015, 09:47:58 AM »
So do I recall on elementary and high school. Almost no VHS recorders, mainly top-loading players. For some educational material, there were even Super 8 reels. Man, those were THE thing to me, even if they were outdated even back then.

They tried to make me do a recap
I said no, no, no

NightWolve

« Reply #454 on: July 24, 2015, 11:33:47 AM »
I'm going to be perfectly honest here and say that I didn't really read the post I just quoted. It's way way too f*cking huge. It's ridiculous to expect anyone to read that.

Claims he didn't read it, but then it's clear that he did... Complains it's long, then writes a long post himself... The irony of his level of ridiculousness in this incident is apparently totally lost on him... If you're gonna overtly claim you read nothing then F--K OFF already!

If you subtract the response for Raizen and the requote of my unimpeachable review of your actions, it was about as long as yours! It's easy to exit a thread, stop reading when you've lost interest, and the fact is, you should've done so a long time ago but mission accomplished as far as going full retard and digging yourself in an even deeper hole!

Nobody should feel intimidated they'll be called a psychopath in this thread for simply sharing a brief and polite opinion on a movie due to a thin-skinned, hyper-sensitive, arrogant, emotional nutjob who couldn't stand his precious "masterpiece" only being thought of as "alright" and not a favorite of his in the SG library... You've *clearly* lost it and you're not gonna get away with pulling your bullshit on me!

I did want to ask a question though. What on earth makes you think the WP article (which I saw the other day) somehow applies totally to me but somehow not to yourself? You're much more aggressive with people than I am these days. The wind kinda left my sails a few years ago, not sure why. I certainly don't have the energy to write up page long fake quotes of someone.

So you expect me to read all of your posts and answer all of your questions yet whine like a bitch that you refuse to read anything of mine, proving yourself to be the bigot you are that doesn't listen let alone learn from another person that you decided to wildly attack ?

NO, let's go further back, what on earth makes YOU think that "psychopath" somehow applies totally to me but somehow not to your disgusting self ??

I don't care what you think of any movie. It doesn't matter.

Sure you do chief, sure you do! That's what started this whole thing! Now you're not even being intellectually honest with yourself and that's part of what makes you so disgusting to me right now in addition to your continued efforts to hurl as many as possible psychological insults... If I had simply said the following:
I saw that a few weeks ago actually. It's not my favorite in their library, but I liked it! I can't recall seeing an anti-war anime before so that was a first.
Then you never would've attempted to heckle and browbeat me down!

All these Ghibli movies are beloved world wide. Someone not liking one of them doesn't matter. Their image is still pristine.

I agree. It's too bad I won't ever care to discuss them with a nutjob such as yourself.

You're not the first crazed anime fanboy/girl I've ever encountered on the Internet... I learned a long time ago to be nervous and distrusting around them when there's that high-degree of Japanophilia-excess with a mix of fanaticism. All the people that ever did me harm over the Internet were fanatical anime fans and for at least 4 of them, it was the reason that they learned Japanese and one of them works for XSEED Games right now... Maybe just a freak pattern I began to notice, or not...

I called you a psychopath because your reaction to the movie was like a review of a super bowl commercial. Nobody reviews Schindler's List or Three Kings completely removed from the circumstances of the subject matter. I've never read a review of The Great Dictator That didn't mention Hitler. These things just can't be separated.

You did that though. You just brushed that dust off your jeans...like Grave of the Fireflies was a less funny version of Kiki's Delivery service. Anyone who can see a movie that unpleasant and not even comment on how hard it is to watch is pretty f*cking numb to humanity. Psychopath? Maybe just autistic.

Listen, snapperhead, did you EVER once in that disgusting, bigoted, arrogant, assumptive brain of yours stop to consider that I kept my comment brief just because I didn't care to go into detail ?? I only felt the need to express that I wouldn't put that particular movie in my favorites list in contrast to esteban. I didn't feel it was THAT good.

That is ALL I cared to mention at the time... Hell, my short 3 sentences even met PunkiCyborg's limit and I missed Twitter's limit by a few words! esteban was 2 sentences, BUT he said it's his favorite and beautiful which met your approval and why you didn't jump down his damn throat like a madman!

WHY is it that you deliberately continue down on a path of choosing every worst possible explanation/conclusion ?? Bipolar much ? Went off your medication ?

Maybe you're so patriotic you can't allow yourself to be drawn into a movie that portrays the Asia pacific campaign as anything but holy. I don't know what it is, I just know it's f*cked. I've talked about this movie with a lot of people, and I've read a lot of reviews of it. Nobody is "meh" about this movie unless they are in the John Birch Society or they have Ass Bugers. I mentioned it. I didn't mean it even as an attack but as an observation. How could you have such a half ass "meh" attitude about something so powerful? Oh, it wasn't powerful for you? Well, that sorta proves my point. You're emotionally impaired. Abject human misery rolls over you like water. Great. I'll remember that and not mention it again for fear of massive explosions from the parts of your soul that actually do exist.

You are seriously such a disgusting bigot right now and I can't believe you actually had the f--king nerve to attack my character to such a degree over one f--king movie! AND AGAIN! IN MORE DETAIL! AND WITH SO MANY PREJUDICED-BASED VAST ASSUMPTIONS OVER ONE F--KING SENTENCE !

It's YOU that needs to get your damn head checked, not me!

I think I see what's going on here based on your political commentary, and it's what I guessed seeing your comment about "I always knew" which suggested you had baggage assigned to ME in particular! Your disgusting explosion was because it's "TEH NightWolve, that 'right-winger' over there with his website!" You're a political bigot and figured there was something so much more than meets the eye with my one sentence based on ALL the prejudices that you have for right-wingers!

You were caught in that rock in a hard place because normally you'd have no problem expressing your full hatred and venom for a right-winger being on the Far Left of the political spectrum, but yet the guy was the main man responsible for the Ys IV project and other things, so you showed some teeny tiny level of respect for those accomplishments... However, this situation, seizing on one sentence allowed you the opportunity to vent, and vent you did!!! That'd be my guess, and just a guess! Only you know for sure what's going on inside that bigot brain of yours and the full reasons for it.

I remind anyone reading this, that this disgusting, psycho maniac has made all these vast prejudiced-based conclusions, accusations, condemnations over THIS F--KING SENTENCE: "It's not my favorite in their library, but it was alright."

That is ALL that it took for this maniac to be set off!!! A CLEAR CUT MANIAC!

I'm sorry you feel insulted by my diagnosis.

Then I hope you don't at all feel insulted by my diagnosis of you.

I'm sorry your opinion of me is somehow in a constant state of flux. I don't know why you care. I don't know why you stuck up for me in some dumb chat with who the f*cker ever. I don't know what was said about me, why is stuck up for me, why now you aren't, or why you have such a huge emotional stake in this forum politicking crap.

I would not ever again make the mistake of defending a vile, disgusting, certifiable monster like you again, of this I assure you! You're so unbelievably out of line right now, I can't believe you seriously descended down to this level! Like I originally said, go f--k yourself!

And I mentioned it because of how foolish I feel right now for having attempted to disagree with him when I see now he was right all along! I defended you because I used to respect you, some of your insightful gaming opinions and are someone I exchanged PMs with over the years, the last related to metal soundtracks for your Lords of Thunder project! I would've done that for *anyone* I had some level of respect for to remind the other party of the positive aspects of the person. NEVER AGAIN in your case, monster! Not after something like this! And I see why Professor felt 100% justified power-trolling your sorry ass - you're a piece of shit that must've collectively earned it!

A lot of people here can't stand me (a lot more would, but I don't post as much anymore) but I believe I have a decent reputation as someone who is honest about saying what they feel.

You've gained more people that can't stand you and I doubt you can keep your "decent" reputation here after this!

Regardless of how inappropriate my comment was, I *genuinly* did not call you a psychopath for not liking a movie I like.

That is a bald-face lie! I already partly proved it by pointing out you didn't heckle anyone that said they simply liked it. Secondly, I paid attention to your immature troll behavior, and 2 TIMES in the aftermath I added more details that it was a sad/moving/touching/tragic film but you deliberately ignored that and trolled on and on and on, etc..

So here are the quotes of twice referring to the type of movie it is:
Wait, what ? Are you implying because I thought it was "alright" that I didn't think it was a sad or tragic depiction of the costs of war and so worth ? Your leap of conclusion based on what I said is what is psycho... Heh. Yeah, it's a moving/touching/sad/tragic type of movie. You want me to put it at the top of my favorites as far as Studio Ghibli releases else otherwise I'm a "psycho" ?? ...

This particular brother and sister lose their parents, their home, are left to fend for themselves, they try to live with a relative for a time who really didn't want them, so eventually they find a cave and decide to survive on their own. This proves fatal for the brother's sister who dies on him because he failed to find food in time and so forth... So yes, it's a sad/tragic wartime tale and all of that.

AND THEN, this nutjob says this:

Obviously Clodbuster isn't a psychopath because he found the movie too disturbing to enjoy. He is moved by human suffering.

In other words, even after I responded in short posts to disprove his wild accusations, he references Clodbuster to make an indirect troll response about me. HINT HINT, unlike that NightWolve guy, "Clodbuster is moved by human suffering..." Like a little immature manchild, trolling on and on and on...

So, this psycho nutjob generalizes me by one CARTOON, which is what it is! ONE CARTOON! Which I watched in a gibberish language (since I can't understand a word) while reading text at the bottom of the screen which is just about a brother whose sister dies on him... And from all that, the nutjob accuses me of never having cried in ANY other movie, never having been moved, or touched by human suffering and so forth!

Just what kind of an accusatory nutjob am I really dealing with here ??

Quote from: SignOfBigotry
I KNOW I KNOW! IT WAS THIS, IT WAS THAT, DURR, UMM, IT WAS RIGHT-WING JINGOISM OR RACISM! IT WAS THAT OR THIS, AND IF IT WASN'T THAT OR THIS, THAN I KNOW IT MUST'VE BEEN ANOTHER CASE OF AN UNFEELING, UNCARING RIGHT-WINGER THAT WANTS TO THROW OLD PEOPLE OUT OF THEIR HOMES AND STARVE THE POOR!!! AND IF IT WASN'T THAT IT WAS BECAUSE YOU'RE A RIGHT-WING WARMONGER AND THE TRUE COSTS OF WAR DIDN'T FIT YOUR RIGHT-WING NARRATIVE SO YOU COULDN'T STAND IT! AHA, IT WAS THAT, WASN'T IT, WASN'T IT ?? DON'T PLAY STUPID WITH ME YOU RIGHT-WINGER! I CAUGHT YOU! I CAUGHT YOU!!! YOU'RE GONNA BE MADE TO ANSWER FOR EVERY POSSIBLE WILD-EYED ACCUSATION, ASSUMPTION, PREJUDICED-BASED CRITICISM THAT I CAN COME UP FOR NOT LOVING IT FOR THE MASTERPIECE THAT IT IS!!!

How's that for wild-eyed, assumptive, accusatory bullshit all over the f--king place, eh Chad ??

One last thing: After you finally finish spewing more of your bullshit, I don't ever wanna speak to you again on this forum. You understand, Chad, f--kface ? If you ever quote me, or post in a thread of mine, you'll only be met with uncivil responses! Someone that does not have the capacity to honestly admit wrongdoing and genuinely apologize is a monster in my book and I've met far too many to let it slide! You're DeuceBag, Lipschultz, DarkKobold to me! Whether it's cause you're a sociopath and lack empathy, or it's partly or totally due to the arrogance/bigotry/pride that screams off the page, I dunno, but I don't ever wanna deal with you again! You're not gonna browbeat bully me down into caring about your f--king masterpiece of an anime! F--k you and your Grave of the Fire Flies!

I really don't have anything else left to say you other than you need to get your snapperhead checked and you need to f--k off. Everything I felt that needed to be said to you in response to your disgusting, pathetic behavior is in this damn post! Read it, don't read it, claim TL;DR as a troll response, I don't care, but it's all here uncensored! Whatever the case, we're done after this.

esteban

The Anime Thread: Finding Good Anime
« Reply #455 on: July 24, 2015, 01:21:41 PM »
STATUS: I am glad I kept my popcorn from yesterday. It may be stale, but it turns out I needed it after all.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2015, 12:32:59 AM by esteban »
  |    | 

xelement5x

« Reply #456 on: July 24, 2015, 04:54:49 PM »
Man, I was hoping the dramu had subsided.  No offense, but you guys are worse than the EGL community sometimes.
Gredler: spread her legs and push her down to make her more lively<br>***<br>majors: You used to be the great man, this icon we all looked up to and now your just a pico collecting 'tard...oh, how the mighty have fallen...<br>***<br>_joshuaTurbo: Sex, Lies, Rape and Arkhan. A TurboGrafx love story

roflmao

« Reply #457 on: July 24, 2015, 05:11:47 PM »
STATUS: I am glad a kept my popcorn from yesterday. It may be stale, but it turns out I needed it after all.

Yep.

viper0hr

« Reply #458 on: July 29, 2015, 11:54:39 AM »
Galaxy Express 999
If you can find the original series it's well worth a watch.

SignOfZeta

« Reply #459 on: July 29, 2015, 12:06:01 PM »
The most interesting thing about the Dirty Pair TV series is that the first episode clearly has a budget equal to the remaining two dozen episodes than follow it. If you are a big fan of that ultra HQ kid 80s stuff from Sunrise (Crusher Joe movie, for example) you want to at least see Dirty Pair EP1. After that it's still fun, but much cheaper.

PunkicCyborg

« Reply #460 on: July 29, 2015, 01:21:31 PM »
Would you all shut the f*ck up and talk about anime like grown ass men?
I am rewatching Gunbuster. Cool series with some great art and music but It's a little goofier than I like these days
(19:28:25) GE0: superdead told me in whisper that his favorite game is mario paint

ClodBuster

• A real powerhouse!
    • Cumonreprocarts.com
« Reply #461 on: July 29, 2015, 08:33:45 PM »
I love the original Gunbuster series, also because I fall for Mikimoto's character designs. Those cute pseudo-educational intermissions between the episodes are enjoyable too.

They tried to make me do a recap
I said no, no, no

DragonmasterDan

« Reply #462 on: July 29, 2015, 09:17:06 PM »
Galaxy Express 999
If you can find the original series it's well worth a watch.

I watched the entire series on Crunchy Roll some time back. It's free to watch there.
--DragonmasterDan

esteban

« Reply #463 on: July 29, 2015, 11:37:31 PM »
  |    | 

TR0N

« Reply #464 on: July 30, 2015, 01:01:52 AM »
Would you all shut the f*ck up and talk about anime like grown ass men?
I am rewatching Gunbuster. Cool series with some great art and music but It's a little goofier than I like these days
That's a early one by gainax,beside a classic by them.Last year i got it on dvd and brand new through a third party on amazon.It holds up well but like most ova's it's over before you know it.

PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec