Author Topic: The Anime Thread: Finding Good Anime  (Read 30969 times)

RyuHayabusa

Re: The Anime Thread: Finding Good Anime
« Reply #510 on: August 19, 2015, 11:46:19 AM »
And as mentioned in the what did you get today thread. This is out on DVD in the US.

I bought the DVD of Robot Carnival a couple of years ago off of Ebay. Definitely one of my favorite anime of all time. Deprive and Presence are my favorite parts. I also have the soundtrack. The Presence tunes are hauntingly beautiful. Almost all of my favorite anime are from the 80s. Fist of the North Star (movie and TV series), Robot Carnival, Akira, Vampire Hunter D, Bubblegum Crisis, Area 88, Golgo 13: The Professional, etc. There's just something about anime from that time that is missing today. For me the 80s is the golden age of anime.

DragonmasterDan

« Reply #511 on: August 19, 2015, 12:02:23 PM »
I bought the DVD of Robot Carnival a couple of years ago off of Ebay. Definitely one of my favorite anime of all time. Deprive and Presence are my favorite parts. I also have the soundtrack. The Presence tunes are hauntingly beautiful. Almost all of my favorite anime are from the 80s. Fist of the North Star (movie and TV series), Robot Carnival, Akira, Vampire Hunter D, Bubblegum Crisis, Area 88, Golgo 13: The Professional, etc. There's just something about anime from that time that is missing today. For me the 80s is the golden age of anime.

I  have a tremendous nostalgia for most of those. Fist of the Northstar the movie, Vampire Hunter D, Robot Carnival, Golgo 13: The professional (though blurred out in a lot of spots) are all movies I saw on local TV in Chicago in the 90s when Streamline pictures was distributing their movies to TV stations.

I like 80s anime aesthetically more than any other decade as you have basic mastery of what can be done with traditional paint and cel's without digital editing and cleanup that removes a lot of the fine lines, details and imperfections from the look of the animation.
--DragonmasterDan

ClodBuster

• A real powerhouse!
    • Cumonreprocarts.com
« Reply #512 on: August 19, 2015, 06:03:58 PM »
f*ck yes, you two are saying what I'm thinking of and feeling for the animation of that old days. It's the aesthetics, it's the storytelling, it's the music.

They tried to make me do a recap
I said no, no, no

RyuHayabusa

« Reply #513 on: August 21, 2015, 12:32:25 PM »
f*ck yes, you two are saying what I'm thinking of and feeling for the animation of that old days. It's the aesthetics, it's the storytelling, it's the music.

Definitely. I much prefer the art and music of the old stuff. Anyone else a Bubblegum Crisis fan? I absolutely love the music to that series. I happened to find an old Bubblegum Crisis laserdisc for $1 at a local bookstore years ago. I'd heard about the series before but once I popped it into the old Laseractive, I was hooked. Bubblegum Crash is ok but not as good as the original. Probably my favorite somewhat recent anime is Berserk. The artwork, music, and story is top notch. The new Blu-Ray series, Egg of the King, is pretty good too, though I like that the original DVD series omits some of the weird stuff from the manga.

SignOfZeta

« Reply #514 on: August 21, 2015, 12:48:15 PM »
One really nice thing about 80s anime is that there is a ton of it. I got hooked on anime with Battle of the Planets but didn't really get "into" the fan scene until the late 80s/early 90s. But even now, even with a U.S. domestic scene and fan subbers and Bit Torrent and all that jazz I'm *still* finding cool new shows.

RyuHayabusa

« Reply #515 on: August 21, 2015, 12:59:35 PM »
One really nice thing about 80s anime is that there is a ton of it. I got hooked on anime with Battle of the Planets but didn't really get "into" the fan scene until the late 80s/early 90s. But even now, even with a U.S. domestic scene and fan subbers and Bit Torrent and all that jazz I'm *still* finding cool new shows.

There are a lot of good ones I haven't gotten to watch yet. I hear Record of the Lodoss War is good. I'm kinda interested in checking out Saint Seiya. Any opinions on SS here?

ClodBuster

• A real powerhouse!
    • Cumonreprocarts.com
« Reply #516 on: August 21, 2015, 09:55:37 PM »
BGCrisis was the first "mature" anime I got in contact with, when a friend of mine brought over his VHS tapes back in the 90s. Then he introduced me to Lodoss War. I was hooked from that moment.

Lodoss War is pretty much Lord of the rings in Japanimated form.

They tried to make me do a recap
I said no, no, no

Medic_wheat

« Reply #517 on: August 22, 2015, 11:32:29 AM »
Question for those who can offer an honest opinion.

A few days ago Funimation had a sale on all of their Dragon Ball box sets

I jumped at sessions 1-9 for the blu Ray release of the DBZ (not Kia)

But it is on back order as they sold out.

But as I did some research I learned that Funimation went cheap and cropped the heck out of it.

For those who have it is it worth owning?

I am tempted to cancel the order even though it was at 60% off.

Anyone who owns this version of the Blu Ray set of DBZ WOULD YOU SAY KEEP IT OR WAIT FOR A BETTER QUALITY RELEASE?

SignOfZeta

« Reply #518 on: August 22, 2015, 01:27:09 PM »
I can't even imagine *why* you'd need a BR of Dragon Ball Z. The animation is so cheap in that show I can't see it being any more enjoyable than a VHS fansub.

Just so that nobody flies off the handle at me, this is not a criticism of DBZ. It's a terrific show, one of the greats, I just don't see there being anything to work with here, picture quality-wise.

Medic_wheat

« Reply #519 on: August 22, 2015, 01:57:46 PM »
I can't even imagine *why* you'd need a BR of Dragon Ball Z. The animation is so cheap in that show I can't see it being any more enjoyable than a VHS fansub.

Just so that nobody flies off the handle at me, this is not a criticism of DBZ. It's a terrific show, one of the greats, I just don't see there being anything to work with here, picture quality-wise.

From what have seen or read up on they did a lot of work (Japan) to clean it up and do color correction much like Akirs.

Then when Funimation started their import and blu Ray release they started with the high end work that Japan was doing.

But after the first two parts of season one DBZ. The cost to do it and keep the aspect ratio Funimation said. f*ck it. And revisit zoomed in and no color correction graininess removed.

Which pissed off fans. That was around 2006? 

So now the fans say the completed blu ray release (not Kia) is piss poor when compared to what they where originally where doing.

But u didn't know any of that. So I am asking for those who may have this version is it worth having?  Paid $154 for the 9 seasons at 60% Off.

SignOfZeta

« Reply #520 on: August 22, 2015, 04:56:34 PM »
It sounds like if you want to avoid those issues you should just stick with the DVD. DBZ was a very cheap TV anime from 25 years ago. There isn't anything...there, that you can extract by bringing it into HD except for the flaws that they apparently suck at scrubbing out. It's not like it's Nightmare Before Christmas or Do You Remember Love or Tokyo Olympiad where there is an almost infinite complexity in every frame, It's like notebook doodles.

ParanoiaDragon

« Reply #521 on: August 22, 2015, 06:16:53 PM »
I have the orange boxset seasons on DVD.  I wouldn't mind the BR's if only to save a lot of space in my limited DVD racks.  But yeah, I've heard they're all cropped & zoom, etc.  So I haven't bothered with them.

Medic_wheat

« Reply #522 on: August 23, 2015, 03:04:36 AM »
I guess the real question is if I don't mind owning a inferior copy of the DBZ show for $154 and if I am willing or rebut if a more "fistful" bluray port comes out.

wildfruit

« Reply #523 on: August 23, 2015, 06:22:17 AM »
Late interjection;
In general I have no emotions, about anything. My wife says I am dead inside and that I can't relate to people. She is probably right.
Gotf bent me over and did me good. O man it's powerful.
That is all.
Each and everyone of you god speed.

DragonmasterDan

« Reply #524 on: August 23, 2015, 02:23:26 PM »
Late interjection;
In general I have no emotions, about anything. My wife says I am dead inside and that I can't relate to people. She is probably right.
Gotf bent me over and did me good. O man it's powerful.
That is all.
Each and everyone of you god speed.

Just for some context, I'm assuming you watched it subbed rather than dubbed?
--DragonmasterDan