Author Topic: The Anime Thread: Finding Good Anime  (Read 30686 times)

NightWolve

Re: The Anime Thread: Finding Good Anime
« Reply #525 on: August 23, 2015, 02:52:57 PM »
I would've preferred to have watched that dubbed, and preferably by Disney. Reading text for 1:30 to 2 hours while listening to gibberish (as whatever foreign language you're listening to, you don't understand a word of it) makes it harder to connect with characters and hence care for them.

Like, I enjoyed "Porco Rosso" where the main character, the fighter ace, was voiced by Michael "I'm Batman!" Keaton; he brought an old skool cool to it. In "My Neighbor Totoro" the girls were voiced by the Dakota sisters (Fanning & Elle Dakota) and I think they did a great job as well. Christian Bale voiced the lead in "Howl's Moving Castle" and I could tell it was him - I was at first very surprised that they got someone as high profile as him to do an anime as that was one of the first Studio Ghibli animes I watched localized by Disney. It's a weird one, but I liked it too and thought his voice fit.

Anyway, with GotF, that was the only one I watched subbed while listening to Japanese. The difference in that is you don't connect to any characters by their voice obviously, there is far less memory of it when it's over too, and it might as well be or could have all been voiced by one person in whatever foreign language it's in, you just sat there and read text through the whole thing, like a book or an article... That's just a different experience and it's not gonna be as enjoyable, moving or interesting, etc.

I agree with somebody earlier who found parts of it boring, I did as well. Maybe dubbing would've helped, but my first experience was without it and that's how I came to feel what I do about this one. It's understandable that it's not as good as their later work, it's one of the first ones they made. But yeah, I just didn't think it was all that great and I'm kinda surprised a movie critic like Roger Ebert considers it to be one of the best and most powerful war films and had added it to his "greatest movies" list... It just wasn't THAT good in my view, but yeah, I get that some came away with a far more intense reaction to it...

xelement5x

« Reply #526 on: August 23, 2015, 03:47:31 PM »
I guess the real question is if I don't mind owning a inferior copy of the DBZ show for $154 and if I am willing or rebut if a more "fistful" bluray port comes out.

Return DBZ.  Buy Dragon Ball and watch it instead as it is much better IMHO.
Gredler: spread her legs and push her down to make her more lively<br>***<br>majors: You used to be the great man, this icon we all looked up to and now your just a pico collecting 'tard...oh, how the mighty have fallen...<br>***<br>_joshuaTurbo: Sex, Lies, Rape and Arkhan. A TurboGrafx love story

ClodBuster

• A real powerhouse!
    • Cumonreprocarts.com
« Reply #527 on: August 23, 2015, 05:51:37 PM »
I got in contact with the Dragon Ball manga at first, read through all 42 volumes, when the TV series was released a few years later in my country. I enjoyed the books, and the TV series is fine too. But since I already knew the story, I didn't put too much interest in watching every episode. The TV series moved on in a rather slow pace, which put me off a bit, while I could determine the pace by myself when reading the books.

Long story short: Today I wouldn't start watching such a near-endless TV series or even collecting its numerous books. I lack time and shelf space.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2015, 05:54:45 PM by ClodBuster »

They tried to make me do a recap
I said no, no, no

ParanoiaDragon

« Reply #528 on: August 23, 2015, 07:50:53 PM »
I guess the real question is if I don't mind owning a inferior copy of the DBZ show for $154 and if I am willing or rebut if a more "fistful" bluray port comes out.

Correction, return DB & DBZ & trade em' in for DBGT!  BEST. SERIES. EVER!  Kidding, actually, I thought it was "ok" but it didn't excite me.

xelement5x

« Reply #529 on: August 24, 2015, 04:02:47 AM »

Correction, return DB & DBZ & trade em' in for DBGT!  BEST. SERIES. EVER!  Kidding, actually, I thought it was "ok" but it didn't excite me.

The original Dragon Ball is so much more fun to watch to me.  Lots of goofiness and entertaining side stories going on, plus plenty of kids humor that's still funny to watch.  Just my 2c though. 
Gredler: spread her legs and push her down to make her more lively<br>***<br>majors: You used to be the great man, this icon we all looked up to and now your just a pico collecting 'tard...oh, how the mighty have fallen...<br>***<br>_joshuaTurbo: Sex, Lies, Rape and Arkhan. A TurboGrafx love story

DragonmasterDan

« Reply #530 on: August 24, 2015, 04:09:41 AM »
Just my 2c though. 

Wasn't that also the animation budget on those episodes?
--DragonmasterDan

GreatBlueSwirlof99

« Reply #531 on: August 24, 2015, 06:04:48 AM »
Pokemon advanced series so great!
The Dreamcast is still alive, so go play it before it kills your family!

BigusSchmuck

« Reply #532 on: August 24, 2015, 07:25:20 AM »
I finished Death Note this weekend, that's one screwed up anime. Now my wife is watching the live action drama series, it's ok..

ClodBuster

• A real powerhouse!
    • Cumonreprocarts.com
« Reply #533 on: August 24, 2015, 05:57:37 PM »
I finished watching Yamada's First Time on Blu-Ray. Usually, I don't like today's animation, but this one grew on me pretty well. It's about a virgin schoolgirl on her mission to lay 100 boys or so, but very soon it becomes apparent that she's got to change her insane plans when she faces reality. Funny, charming and entertaining.

At the moment, I'm watching the 3rd season of the Wooser's hand to mouth life via Crunchyroll app on Xbox 360. Man, Wooser is some messed up mascot. I'm also watching Miss Monochrome, which looks like a sister series to Wooser with a cameo. Both series are wacky and have episodes that last around 5 minutes.

They tried to make me do a recap
I said no, no, no

xelement5x

« Reply #534 on: August 25, 2015, 04:57:36 AM »
I finished watching Yamada's First Time on Blu-Ray. Usually, I don't like today's animation, but this one grew on me pretty well. It's about a virgin schoolgirl on her mission to lay 100 boys or so, but very soon it becomes apparent that she's got to change her insane plans when she faces reality. Funny, charming and entertaining.

At the moment, I'm watching the 3rd season of the Wooser's hand to mouth life via Crunchyroll app on Xbox 360. Man, Wooser is some messed up mascot. I'm also watching Miss Monochrome, which looks like a sister series to Wooser with a cameo. Both series are wacky and have episodes that last around 5 minutes.

Haha, Yamada's First Time was one of those animes I thought was going to be all fanservice with no plot but it was surprisingly good and endearing in parts. Glad to see other people are enjoying it too, there can be a lot of modern anime hate on these boards sometimes when there is still really good stuff being put out :P

DragonmasterDan

« Reply #535 on: August 25, 2015, 10:26:34 AM »
This arrived today.
--DragonmasterDan

RyuHayabusa

« Reply #536 on: August 25, 2015, 01:11:48 PM »
This arrived today.

Wow, that's the first time I've seen the Vampire Hunter D Blu-ray. Cool Amano artwork on that cover. Is that a US region BR? Gotta pick that up. Let me know how the picture and sound quality is. I've watched the VHS and DVD versions and there's a lot of dark, sometimes hard to see parts but that's probably just the way the movie was made. Thanks for posting this. I had no idea it was available on BR. Hopefully all those old Streamline Pictures anime will be coming to BR.

DragonmasterDan

« Reply #537 on: August 25, 2015, 01:16:26 PM »

Wow, that's the first time I've seen the Vampire Hunter D Blu-ray. Cool Amano artwork on that cover. Is that a US region BR? Gotta pick that up. Let me know how the picture and sound quality is. I've watched the VHS and DVD versions and there's a lot of dark, sometimes hard to see parts but that's probably just the way the movie was made. Thanks for posting this. I had no idea it was available on BR. Hopefully all those old Streamline Pictures anime will be coming to BR.

Yes, it's a US region Blu Ray.

Picture quality is excellent. The Urban Vision DVD was very dark but the Streamline VHS and LD releases were brighter. This is a much cleaner brighter transfer.

I heard bits and pieces of the redone dub (the Streamline dub is not included) and I'm not that impressed. The big reveal at the end is kind of limited in its effect by the rewritten dialogue. Audio quality is overall pretty good, those complaints aside.
--DragonmasterDan

RyuHayabusa

« Reply #538 on: August 25, 2015, 01:27:53 PM »

Yes, it's a US region Blu Ray.

Picture quality is excellent. The Urban Vision DVD was very dark but the Streamline VHS and LD releases were brighter. This is a much cleaner brighter transfer.

I heard bits and pieces of the redone dub (the Streamline dub is not included) and I'm not that impressed. The big reveal at the end is kind of limited in its effect by the rewritten dialogue. Audio quality is overall pretty good, those complaints aside.

Yeah, just read a review for the BR and was disappointed that they've omitted the Streamline dub. After watching the movie for 20 years it will be jarring to hear different voice actors. Wish they would've added more extras. I'm still going to get it just to check out the improved picture quality.

KnightWarrior

« Reply #539 on: August 26, 2015, 11:39:16 AM »
Anyone watch Strawberry Panic?