Author Topic: The Anime Thread: Finding Good Anime  (Read 30658 times)

ClodBuster

• A real powerhouse!
    • Cumonreprocarts.com
Re: The Anime Thread: Finding Good Anime
« Reply #540 on: August 26, 2015, 06:00:35 PM »
Never heard of it. Please tell me more.

They tried to make me do a recap
I said no, no, no

DragonmasterDan

« Reply #541 on: August 27, 2015, 09:00:55 PM »
On a semi-PCE related anime note. Discotek announced a Space Adventure Cobra the movie Blu-Ray release scheduled for December.
--DragonmasterDan

esteban

« Reply #542 on: August 28, 2015, 12:52:36 AM »

On a semi-PCE related anime note. Discotek announced a Space Adventure Cobra the movie Blu-Ray release scheduled for December.

If it features female buttocks on motorcycles, I'm in.
  |    | 

DragonmasterDan

« Reply #543 on: August 28, 2015, 01:03:11 AM »

And in high definition!
--DragonmasterDan

esteban

« Reply #544 on: August 28, 2015, 01:12:34 AM »

And in high definition!

What's funny is I only recently bought a BR drive for my computer. So, suddenly, I Am interested in BR.

A few months ago, I would have skimmed past any reference to BR.
  |    | 

DragonmasterDan

« Reply #545 on: August 28, 2015, 01:20:30 AM »
What's funny is I only recently bought a BR drive for my computer. So, suddenly, I Am interested in BR.

It's probably the last "standard" physical consumer format we're going to have for movies/home media. So I've been buying quite a lot of old favorites on blu-ray lately.

The other thing is that with animation, watching it on Blu-Ray lets you see a lot of cel detail and things you won't notice as much on lower resolution transfers. Watching Vampire Hunter D in HD for example, I saw a lot of fine detail that on DVD or Laserdisc would have been too low res to make out. It also shows you more imperfections, grain, and dirt. But I think that's part of the fun of it.

Now when movies are mastered like garbage, that's another issue entirely.
--DragonmasterDan

esteban

The Anime Thread: Finding Good Anime
« Reply #546 on: August 28, 2015, 01:49:49 AM »

It's probably the last "standard" physical consumer format we're going to have for movies/home media. So I've been buying quite a lot of old favorites on blu-ray lately.

The other thing is that with animation, watching it on Blu-Ray lets you see a lot of cel detail and things you won't notice as much on lower resolution transfers. Watching Vampire Hunter D in HD for example, I saw a lot of fine detail that on DVD or Laserdisc would have been too low res to make out. It also shows you more imperfections, grain, and dirt. But I think that's part of the fun of it.

Now when movies are mastered like garbage, that's another issue entirely.

Yeah, I don't mind seeing the imperfections (it's akin to playing a record). The imperfections are *part* of the experience.

ASIDE: But seeing them as "imperfections" is just one way to look at it—it is also touches on our quest for "purity" (see below).

However, poor mastering is unacceptable. Or lazy transfers.

I have a bunch of movies (Dvd) where the subtitles are permanently on the film itself (instead of data track allowing you to turn captions on/off). The transfer looks like they pulled it from the damn SVHS version (which I already had)...

...anyway, this was from the dawn of DVD and I think a lot of early DVDs cheaply done (especially foreign films).

Why do I bring this up?

I'm OK with pops and scratches on a BR...

...but it does take away some of the magic of the film. :(

*ASIDE: I made a similar argument with RGB vs composite: some games just look aesthetically "better" when color/graphics morph into something unique (less perfect) on a standard CRT. I argued that the intended destination was the canvas artists were painting for—regular consumers with standard television/inputs...when you compare the same game on RGB + monitor, the sharp (often harsher) pixels provide a distinctly different aesthetic, one that often "takes away the magic" (more sterile) because pixel artists used tricks to make a sterile, unrecognizable block of four pixels transform into a  recognizable character's face on a standard television.

Ok, I'll stop.

The point is: restoration projects that clean up source material without corrupting/altering the original content are good. But, if that is not going to happen, I am willing to put up with the sterile, harsh imperfections of the original.

However, I do wonder how much "magic" is lost in our quest for "purity"—be it purity of RGB signal, or the purity of literally capturing all the specks of dirt and film grain in a film.

Am I silly for suggesting that consumes should have the option to use filters (beyond the standard settings in TV) to intentionally *downgrade* an image...say by offering a "smart blur" (PhotoShop filter) that would hide the dirt and grain?

I know emulators have various filters, but I am talking about a different set of filters specific to viewing TV vs film content.

Consumer would always buy the purest source...but then have ability to modify it. Seems like the best of both worlds (content providers could even have their "suggested filters" activated by default, so only the video enthusiast would have to tinker around, if he/she was so inclined).

Ok, I'll stop.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2015, 02:02:09 AM by esteban »
  |    | 

DragonmasterDan

« Reply #547 on: August 28, 2015, 02:01:17 AM »
Yeah, I don't mind seeing the imperfections (it's akin to playing a record). The imperfections are *part* of the experience.

However, poor mastering is unacceptable. Or lazy transfers.

Without getting into a long rant. This is still a problem even with major studio movies on Blu-Ray. Being a big general fan of animation I picked up a favorite from my childhood "An American Tail". A movie not even 30 years old. it looks f*cking terrible. Absolutely terrible lazy mastering jobs. It's like they ran the 35MM negative through some kool aid, let it dry in a dusty vacuum bag and then ran it through the digital scanner to capture each frame in HD for the Blu-Ray. Just atrocious.

I have a bunch of movies (Dvd) where the subtitles are permanently on the film itself (instead of data track allowing you to turn captions on/off). The transfer looks like they pulled it from the damn SVHS version (which I already had)...

...anyway, this was from the dawn of DVD and I think a lot of early DVDs cheaply done (especially foreign films).

I have some LDs like this too.

Why do I bring this up?

I'm OK with pops and warbles on a BR...

...but it does take away some of the magic. :(

I made a similar argument with RGB vs composite: some games just look aesthetically "better" when color/graphics morph into something unique on a standard CRT (I argued that the intended destination was the canvas they were painting for—regular consumers with standard television/inputs)...when you compare the same game on RGB + monitor, the sharp (often harsher) pixels provide a distinctly different aesthetic, one that often "takes away the magic" (more sterile) because pixel artists used tricks to make a sterile, unrecognizable block of four pixels transform into a  recognizable character's face on a standard television.

I think it depends on the game and the situation. Some things like the famous Sonic water effect on Genesis don't look right in RGB on a good monitor because the developers did expect people would be using inferior inputs and used that to their advantage to create a "special effect". In general, you see more detail, color seperation and overall sharpness using RGB on old game consoles. But as a good example I had a young lady visit me who felt some of these games looked too "blocky" in RGB and preffered the smoothness of using Svideo or composite on the same display.

The point is: restoration projects that clean up source material without corrupting/altering the original content are good. But, if that is not going to happen, I am willing to put up with the sterile, harsh imperfections of the original.

However, I do wonder how much "magic" is lost in our quest for "purity"—be it purity of RGB signal, or literally capturing all the specks of dirt and film grain in a film.

I have no problem with minor smoothing out of dirt or grain from a film to improve the transfer.

However, when this is done through some sort of batch process program to save time and energy this removes detail. Look up some of the reviews of the Disney movie the Sword and the Stone on Blu-Ray. It's an abomination for the reverse reason of the aforementioned An American Tail release.
--DragonmasterDan

RyuHayabusa

« Reply #548 on: August 28, 2015, 02:23:08 AM »
I watched part of An American Tail in HD a few weeks back and it did look absolutely horrible. I was a somewhat early adopter of BR and one of the first movies I bought was Terminator. Damn was I disappointed with that one. Picture quality was terrible. After watching Blade Runner HD I was hoping for similar results but it wasn't even close. I've since bought the Terminator Collection but I can't remember if it had the original or remastered BR in it.

DragonmasterDan

« Reply #549 on: August 28, 2015, 02:32:33 AM »
I watched part of An American Tail in HD a few weeks back and it did look absolutely horrible. I was a somewhat early adopter of BR and one of the first movies I bought was Terminator. Damn was I disappointed with that one. Picture quality was terrible. After watching Blade Runner HD I was hoping for similar results but it wasn't even close. I've since bought the Terminator Collection but I can't remember if it had the original or remastered BR in it.

Heh, I remember getting a very early DVD version of Terminator with a really faded picture. That movie is just cursed with bad transfers. I think a special edition came later that looked better.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2015, 02:45:32 AM by DragonmasterDan »
--DragonmasterDan

KnightWarrior

« Reply #550 on: September 03, 2015, 04:01:04 PM »

xelement5x

« Reply #551 on: September 09, 2015, 06:39:52 AM »
Woot, I went to my local anime con over Labor Day weekend (NanDesuKan) and it was a fun time.  I've got a big old list of new stuff to dig through, plus I got a chance to take lots of pictures.
Gredler: spread her legs and push her down to make her more lively<br>***<br>majors: You used to be the great man, this icon we all looked up to and now your just a pico collecting 'tard...oh, how the mighty have fallen...<br>***<br>_joshuaTurbo: Sex, Lies, Rape and Arkhan. A TurboGrafx love story

wildfruit

« Reply #552 on: September 09, 2015, 06:00:15 PM »
Late interjection;
In general I have no emotions, about anything. My wife says I am dead inside and that I can't relate to people. She is probably right.
Gotf bent me over and did me good. O man it's powerful.
That is all.
Each and everyone of you god speed.

Just for some context, I'm assuming you watched it subbed rather than dubbed?

Absolutely. I will always take subbed over dubbed.
Except maybe kikis delivery service. Kirsten dunst has such a cute voice

ClodBuster

• A real powerhouse!
    • Cumonreprocarts.com
« Reply #553 on: September 09, 2015, 06:04:19 PM »
, plus I got a chance to take lots of pictures.
Pics or it didn't happen. :)

They tried to make me do a recap
I said no, no, no

Punch

« Reply #554 on: September 14, 2015, 02:45:01 PM »
Never was much into anime, but I still love Fist of the North Star. Watched the movie and the first part of the Fuji TV cartoon (literally the first part, the episode where Kenshiro kills Shin). Might watch the rest of the episodes.

The Raoh vs Rei fight from the movie is probably the most badass scene ever.