Author Topic: The Anime Thread: Finding Good Anime  (Read 30638 times)

ClodBuster

• A real powerhouse!
    • Cumonreprocarts.com
Re: The Anime Thread: Finding Good Anime
« Reply #645 on: February 19, 2016, 05:49:25 AM »
I bit the bullet and got me Bubblegum Crisis on Blu-ray.
(...)
I went through the whole bunch of discs now.
Comparing the music videos, which are available in both SD and HD versions, the remastered picture quality of the HD versions is f*cking awesome. Hats off to Animeigo!
I just wonder why the video for Konya wa hurricane appears two times in HD, while Touchdown to tomorrow is only available in SD. To my eyes, it looks like both konya wa hurricane HD videos are absolutely the same. Or am I missing something that you guys have already spotted?
« Last Edit: February 19, 2016, 05:50:57 AM by ClodBuster »

They tried to make me do a recap
I said no, no, no

Medic_wheat

« Reply #646 on: February 19, 2016, 07:25:20 AM »
(...)
Comparing the music videos, which are available in both SD and HD versions, the remastered picture quality of the HD versions is f*cking awesome. Hats off to Animeigo!
I just wonder why the video for Konya wa hurricane appears two times in HD, while Touchdown to tomorrow is only available in SD. To my eyes, it looks like both konya wa hurricane HD videos are absolutely the same. Or am I missing something that you guys have already spotted?

Are the bluerays still available for order?
« Last Edit: February 19, 2016, 07:55:26 AM by Medic_wheat »

SignOfZeta

« Reply #647 on: February 19, 2016, 07:48:06 AM »
(...)

I don't have the BRs, but I do know of two different Hurricane videos. I think the edit from the CDV is different than the one that was used for promotion elsewhere. There's also a live action one.

EDIT: if you give me the running times I can be more specific. I have lots of BGC on earlier formats.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2016, 07:50:12 AM by SignOfZeta »

ClodBuster

• A real powerhouse!
    • Cumonreprocarts.com
« Reply #648 on: February 19, 2016, 07:55:35 AM »
Are the bluejays still available for order?
Yes they are. Unfortunately, the cheaper basic Blu-ray set seems to be sold out, there's only the costly premium one left. They can be ordered via Animeigo's website either by credit card or paypal.
I don't have the BRs, but I do know of two different Hurricane videos. I think the edit from the CDV is different than the one that was used for promotion elsewhere. There's also a live action one.

EDIT: if you give me the running times I can be more specific. I have lots of BGC on earlier formats.
Ah, thanks, I'll take a second look at the two versions included on the Blu-Ray and let you know about them.
I wasn't aware there was a live action video of Konya wa Hurricane, now that's interesting!

I said no, no, no

SignOfZeta

« Reply #649 on: February 19, 2016, 08:13:28 AM »
It may be out of print on purpose. There was some contractual shit with the two different Priss's back in the day that may have made rereleasing it impossible. Or maybe it's all over the place, I don't know. I know it was on the first US VHS release of episode 1. I can't remember if my big remastered LD BOX has it or not.

xelement5x

« Reply #650 on: February 19, 2016, 09:31:17 AM »
The BGC Blu Ray set was a pretty limited run through Kickstarter so basically what they're selling now are just the extra leftovers from that.  I went in at the premium poster level and for the set and I don't feel like the funds were wasted at all. 

Like you said the remaster looks glorious and was well worth the money to me, the person running it really knew how to interact with people and keep engagement up.  So much so that I went in on the Otaku no Video KS as well, and will probably throw down for Riding Bean too.  I'm normally not a snob when it comes to video quality, but they really spent a lot of time making this right. 

I'm amazed to see how much the base copies and the premium ones are going for now.
Gredler: spread her legs and push her down to make her more lively<br>***<br>majors: You used to be the great man, this icon we all looked up to and now your just a pico collecting 'tard...oh, how the mighty have fallen...<br>***<br>_joshuaTurbo: Sex, Lies, Rape and Arkhan. A TurboGrafx love story

SignOfZeta

« Reply #651 on: February 19, 2016, 03:51:52 PM »
I ordered the Otaku no Video one and honesty just seeing Animeigo and Gainax revisit this period was worth the price alone. They actually went back and built a few of the old Daikon III girl kits to give away, one of the earliest General Products. The same kit they cast in OVA with the same guy actually building it in 2016. That was almost a misty eyed moment when I read that...of course I'll never win one, but man that's cool. It's the kind of thing you can't tack onto a overpriced box set of any old show, it's integral to the very plot of this semi-historical OVA.

johnnykonami

« Reply #652 on: February 19, 2016, 04:17:07 PM »
Wish I could justify spending $130 for the BGC set right now, I'd like to get it one day though.  Those new Ranma 1/2 blu rays would be nice too.  I bought the Cobra TV series on DVD a while back, and some of the UY from animeigo but I couldn't keep up so I didn't get all of them.  Between all those and the Giant Robo box set, that's pretty much all my favorite stuff anime wise.  UY is one of my favorites, I wish I could afford to get the whole thing somehow, movies, oavs and all.

Medic_wheat

« Reply #653 on: February 20, 2016, 01:53:20 AM »
Wish I could justify spending $130 for the BGC set right now, I'd like to get it one day though.  Those new Ranma 1/2 blu rays would be nice too.  I bought the Cobra TV series on DVD a while back, and some of the UY from animeigo but I couldn't keep up so I didn't get all of them.  Between all those and the Giant Robo box set, that's pretty much all my favorite stuff anime wise.  UY is one of my favorites, I wish I could afford to get the whole thing somehow, movies, oavs and all.

I have been eyeing those bluray releases of Ranma 1/2. I think they finished releasing them all. Don't know if they will release the movies as well

DragonmasterDan

« Reply #654 on: February 22, 2016, 12:11:36 AM »
The BGC Blu Ray set was a pretty limited run through Kickstarter so basically what they're selling now are just the extra leftovers from that.  I went in at the premium poster level and for the set and I don't feel like the funds were wasted at all. 

Like you said the remaster looks glorious and was well worth the money to me, the person running it really knew how to interact with people and keep engagement up.  So much so that I went in on the Otaku no Video KS as well, and will probably throw down for Riding Bean too.  I'm normally not a snob when it comes to video quality, but they really spent a lot of time making this right. 

I'm amazed to see how much the base copies and the premium ones are going for now.

I didn't realize it was going for a premium now.
--DragonmasterDan

ClodBuster

• A real powerhouse!
    • Cumonreprocarts.com
« Reply #655 on: February 22, 2016, 05:23:50 AM »
Well, here's the product page for the BGC box sets.
http://www.animeigo.com/products/anime/bubblegum-crisis
The basic BD set is still available in Canada, for the rest of the world there's only the premium BD set left.
So I bought the premium one. Maybe I'll sell the coins, keychain and patch, since I've got no use for them. I just wanted the discs, that's all.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2016, 05:26:57 AM by ClodBuster »

I said no, no, no

SignOfZeta

« Reply #656 on: February 22, 2016, 09:36:44 AM »
Do not do that. That is an a$$hole move, parting out perfectly good LEs is just...so f*cking uncool.

I mean, I don't know who the f*ck on planet Earth would want a comemorative coin with Largo's face on it (WTF!?) but it's still a culture crime to reduce the number of LEs out there just to get the data when you can just pirate the data anyway and save the money.

ClodBuster

• A real powerhouse!
    • Cumonreprocarts.com
« Reply #657 on: February 22, 2016, 07:41:57 PM »
You mean I should raffle off the hideous coins instead here on the forums?

Edit: I'd take Mason over Largo anyway. Plus, I don't really understand why the hell the distributor or the backers decided for the coins to include as bonus material. Or the patch, keychain and postcards. There's nothing supplied to store them conviniently along with the discs, so at the moment they're just wasting space in a cupboard.

A small art book of some sorts with reprints of Sonoda's drawn works for Bubblegum would have made so much more sense.

Edit2: The price of the premium set did not worry me too much. Back in the day of the VHS tapes, I would have had to pay around 150 US$ to get all 4 PAL tapes with subs + the Hurricane Live tape, distributed by ACOG.

Still, I had to overthink long before I was willing to pay that amount of money today for the BDs.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2016, 07:59:38 PM by ClodBuster »

I said no, no, no

DragonmasterDan

« Reply #658 on: February 22, 2016, 09:19:48 PM »
You mean I should raffle off the hideous coins instead here on the forums?

Edit: I'd take Mason over Largo anyway. Plus, I don't really understand why the hell the distributor or the backers decided for the coins to include as bonus material. Or the patch, keychain and postcards. There's nothing supplied to store them conviniently along with the discs, so at the moment they're just wasting space in a cupboard.

A small art book of some sorts with reprints of Sonoda's drawn works for Bubblegum would have made so much more sense.

Edit2: The price of the premium set did not worry me too much. Back in the day of the VHS tapes, I would have had to pay around 150 US$ to get all 4 PAL tapes with subs + the Hurricane Live tape, distributed by ACOG.

Still, I had to overthink long before I was willing to pay that amount of money today for the BDs.

A lot of those premium items were voted on by Kickstarter backers. I was admittedly lazy and didn't vote.
--DragonmasterDan

ClodBuster

• A real powerhouse!
    • Cumonreprocarts.com
« Reply #659 on: February 22, 2016, 09:26:05 PM »
Ah thanks.
If I won't come up with better ideas, I'll build a plywood box where I can stuff all the useless bonus junk along with the BD box set. Maybe I'll sew the patch onto my gym/travelling bag just for fun, right next to the Wacken 2011 patch.

I said no, no, no