Author Topic: The Anime Thread: Finding Good Anime  (Read 30609 times)

Medic_wheat

Re: The Anime Thread: Finding Good Anime
« Reply #690 on: April 12, 2016, 07:44:17 AM »
Pretty much

« Last Edit: April 12, 2016, 07:46:09 AM by Medic_wheat »

NightWolve

« Reply #691 on: April 12, 2016, 07:15:24 PM »
Heh, and it works too.  :lol:

ClodBuster

• A real powerhouse!
    • Cumonreprocarts.com
« Reply #692 on: May 18, 2016, 09:07:00 AM »

f*ck YES!!! R-Type meets 80s space anime, or what?!
The animation is pretty smooth, and even the colours and shades resemble that time.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2016, 09:27:09 AM by ClodBuster »

They tried to make me do a recap
I said no, no, no

Digi.k

« Reply #693 on: May 18, 2016, 10:19:20 AM »

I agree that Anime had a totally different feel back then.  We had a little club and got new freshly taped shows as they aired for a while, and even though there's been a handful (pretty rare actually) of new shows that have come out in recent years, all of my favorites (including themes) are from yesteryear.  Cyberpunk, horror, giant robots, demons, etc. etc. etc. vs. now the cute and bubbly Chris Hansen from Dateline NBC summoning fare of late.  I admit my favorite of all time is Urusei Yatsura though, which is pretty cute and bubbly.  But great!

I am actually trying to watch all 190+ episodes of the TV series right now and currently up to 35 so some ways off.

Watching this today I really miss this kind of animation although I can see imperfections and rough bits here and there which is what I think gives it that charm.  The show is really bizarre to say the least and the pacing feels forced at times as in it flows to quickly and there is a lot to take in.  Each show is around 25 mins but they never seem to drag.

The japanese voice acting is superb and while the stories and supporting characters feel a bit insane at times if you stick to it you might find you end up craving to see more episodes.
I've no doubt the influence this anime show had on video games and sci fi anime at that time.
 I love the 80's music in this and somehow I feel this show had influenced a lot of the music you hear on pc engine CD-Rom tracks and some of Konami's crazier games such as Parodius...cute girls, aliens, space ships, japanese cultural references and underworld folklore all in one show...

Try and get it if you can. They don't make em' like they used to.

johnnykonami

« Reply #694 on: May 18, 2016, 11:27:54 AM »
Yeah, it's pretty great.  I've got a full run of the US released paperbacks from Viz, the Mega CD and PCE CD games, and the first 3 box sets from Animeigo, but I could never keep up with the $100 per box so I stopped after that.  I wish I had the whole TV series as well as the movie collection, but alas, it wasn't meant to be.  I need to upgrade my PCE Stay With You to a nicer copy, the extra Hudson audio CD is scratched and there's a chip in the plastic case.  The music in the UY TV show is amazing, especially the weird little incidental stuff.  All that 70's/80's synthesizer hotness!

Digi.k

« Reply #695 on: June 10, 2016, 12:49:53 AM »
Why do I find sailor moon fascinating ? O_o

I think the sailor moon S is perhaps the best arc so far with a slight hint of lesbianism from Sailor Neptune and Sailor Uranus.

Anyway for something a bit more modern, short and creepy I just got into a show called: Yami shibai

They are incredibly short but I like its unique style I can only find the intro for it on you tube but you will have to look around for the epsisodes.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2016, 09:50:06 AM by Digi.k »

wilykat

« Reply #696 on: June 10, 2016, 01:54:49 PM »
Watched some episodes here and there, couldn't get into any of Sailor Moon. Oddly I liked Card Captor Sakura.

Right now I am catching up to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/And_you_thought_there_is_never_a_girl_online%3F which seemed funny.  A girl who can't tell apart fantasy themed MMORPG game games from reality, a boy who somehow ended up marrying the said girl in game and has her clinging to him in reality, and a few more girls around in a school club trying to teach her the difference between fantasy and reality.  With hilarious result.

The latest episode #10 have the 4 of them getting wiped a few times trying to take on big guild in PVP combat.  The one on one practice PVP were pretty funny too and seems to suggest the pay-to-win scam most online game has is useless in PVP.

No boobies shot but in game characters have very revealing outfit, showing everything but the nipples.

Medic_wheat

« Reply #697 on: June 10, 2016, 02:18:09 PM »
Watched some episodes here and there, couldn't get into any of Sailor Moon. Oddly I liked Card Captor Sakura.

Right now I am catching up to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/And_you_thought_there_is_never_a_girl_online%3F which seemed funny.  A girl who can't tell apart fantasy themed MMORPG game games from reality, a boy who somehow ended up marrying the said girl in game and has her clinging to him in reality, and a few more girls around in a school club trying to teach her the difference between fantasy and reality.  With hilarious result.

The latest episode #10 have the 4 of them getting wiped a few times trying to take on big guild in PVP combat.  The one on one practice PVP were pretty funny too and seems to suggest the pay-to-win scam most online game has is useless in PVP.

No boobies shot but in game characters have very revealing outfit, showing everything but the nipples.

I enjoyed card capture as well but I am a bit of a clamp fan. To bad the original tv series has never been re-released and finding the individual DVDs is such a pain. I remember vaguely seeing the movie (if there was more then one then okay). I remember being some what surprised with the blaster lesbis mod the female characters best fire d who would make her different costumes to fight. Cards. Or what ever. More so that they didn't try and hide it in the dub

ClodBuster

• A real powerhouse!
    • Cumonreprocarts.com
« Reply #698 on: June 10, 2016, 08:24:11 PM »
Sailor Moon got released in a pretty faithful form to the original where I live in the mid to late 90s, with no visual cuts whatsoever, good dubbing actors and only a very slightly toned down translation. Among with the TV release of Nadia/Secret of Blue Water, it was one of the first series here that were seen by the public as a different kind of animation compared to the usual cartoon shows.

Sailor Moon eventually found its way on DVD in the last years, with both the German and Japanese versions included. Still, German anime fans like to moan about commercial releases, at least that's the feeling I got when browsing forums or visiting conventions. They seem to avoid DVDs and Blu-Rays like the plague, hoard lots of Manga books instead and since broadband internet access came in the mid 2000s, they crippled the already small German anime distribution business into a few competing companies. Most newer releases on disc consist mainly of T&A and moe, since sex and cuteness sells.

To get my anime fix, the only choice I'm left with is importing discs from the US and UK.

By the way, the last ones I bought and watched have been Jungle de Ikou and Labyrinth of Flames. Ok, both go into the direction of T&A, but are visually very appealing in that late 90s style, when cel animation was on its last breath and looked amazingly clean and colorful. I'd recommend both shows for a laugh with friends and beer.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2016, 09:11:38 PM by ClodBuster »

I said no, no, no

Digi.k

« Reply #699 on: June 11, 2016, 10:08:53 AM »

I enjoyed card capture as well but I am a bit of a clamp fan. To bad the original tv series has never been re-released and finding the individual DVDs is such a pain. I remember vaguely seeing the movie (if there was more then one then okay). I remember being some what surprised with the blaster lesbis mod the female characters best fire d who would make her different costumes to fight. Cards. Or what ever. More so that they didn't try and hide it in the dub

I still got the first 4 DVDs which I ordered from the US years ago
one thing I miss from the Japanese version is that it lacks the funky music you hear during kero beros corner in the US version.

« Last Edit: June 11, 2016, 10:25:14 AM by Digi.k »

Medic_wheat

« Reply #700 on: June 11, 2016, 11:44:25 AM »
I wonder what was in the uncut versions.  Clearly to lazy to look up on google or an anime forum.

Digi.k

« Reply #701 on: June 11, 2016, 12:44:31 PM »
I wonder what was in the uncut versions.  Clearly to lazy to look up on google or an anime forum.

quite a lot was changed between the japanese and usa version.

http://kss.mysticalaura.com/tv/main.php?page=tvdiff

some of them are:

1.Even though Sakura kept her name, her last name, which was originally Kinomoto, has been changed to Avalon.

2.Syaoran's name has been switched around to become Li Showron instead of Syaoran Li.

3.Meiling Li's name was changed to Meilin Rae, and Tomoyo Daidouji was changed to Madison Taylor.

4.Cerberus (Kero-chan) has been changed to Keroberus.

6.Yue's name was kept, but is now pronounced as "You-ay"

7.Eriol's new name is Eli Moon…and Spinel Sun's new name is…SPINNER?!

5.Sakura's friends, family members, and teacher's names have all been changed to sound more American-like. Nelvana wanted the names to be able to be pronounced by little kids watching the show.

Other Changes

6.The first episode of Cardcaptors began with the original episode 8, making us drop right into the middle of an ongoing story without any clue on what's going on. Episode 8 was the first episode in which Sakura's male rival/ally, Syaoran, was introduced. Eventually, they aired the first episode as part of a flashback during the Sand Card episode.

7.Meiling and Syaoran were originally cousins and fiancees, but Nelvana changed their relationship because they felt it wasn't appropriate.

8.The dubbed version is heavily edited, with a lot of scenes cut out and conversation being twisted around and changed.

9.Nelvana is not dubbing the Cardcaptors episodes in order. They're skipping around a lot, dubbing only the episodes they think would be interesting to the viewers. Originally, they were going to only air only 13 episodes; the 13 episodes with the most action and excitement.

10.To make up for skipping a lot of the episodes, they're adding in a lot of flashbacks of card captures in the episodes that they are dubbing, which takes time away from the storyline of that particular episode. (If they're going to add in all these dumb flashbacks, why not just dub all the episodes? Geesh...)

11.The relationship between Yukito (Julian) and Touya (Tori) is completely cut out.

12.There is no sign whatsoever of Li having a crush on Yukito.

13.Sakura seems to slightly have an attitude problem and seems like a brat in the dub.

14.Sakura, Li, Madison, and Kero's vices are much deeper and mature than their original voices, making them sound older than they seem. Sakura had a really cute, sweet voice in the original.

Digi.k

« Reply #702 on: June 13, 2016, 01:59:56 PM »
Just finish watching the 4th season of Sailor Moon Super S. This would be soooo much better without the filler crap and just cut to the main story.  When it works it just has you gripped and you find yourself compelled to watch the next episode as soon as the previous ends.  It's somewhat strange how a series that starts off somewhat clumsily and and whimsical and at times downright embarrassing but towards the end of the road it takes a turn and becomes terrifying and you are just gripped in this life and death struggle of a bunch of girls fighting to keep the loves and dreams alive from supernatural and alien forces that want to take the world down in terror!

I just started watching the 5th and final season Sailor Moon Stars and already the tone is just much darker and I anticipate with both dread and curiosity of how this is going to turn out as the enemies become more stronger and stronger and the girls lives and thrown into deeper peril and the strain on their relationship with each other.  Plus the ever overflowing optimism and compassion of the main protagonist in believing everything will work out fine in the end... will it end up being her downfall?

You do not want to mess with this woman!

« Last Edit: June 13, 2016, 02:07:22 PM by Digi.k »

ClodBuster

• A real powerhouse!
    • Cumonreprocarts.com
« Reply #703 on: June 13, 2016, 06:33:16 PM »
What I found interesting even back then when Sailor Moon aired for the first time is the change in animation quality from one episode to another. It looks like several different studios must have had worked on different episodes. One of those studios has a pretty distinctive style, with rounder heads, less shading and more thin black lines to make up for the lack of shading. The second episode of the Galaxy Fräulein Yuna anime looks like being made from the same studio.

However, it clashes a lot with the character design and animation style I'm used to from the better animated episodes. Kind of like those episodes from the original SDF Macross that had been outsourced to other studios with lessee quality standards, but not THAT bad, to be honest.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2016, 06:36:36 PM by ClodBuster »

I said no, no, no

munchiaz

« Reply #704 on: June 14, 2016, 01:44:04 AM »
anyone here ever watch violence jack? Im curious because the new Suda51 has inspirations from violence jack, so i think i will look into watching it