Author Topic: The Anime Thread: Finding Good Anime  (Read 30679 times)

johnnykonami

Re: The Anime Thread: Finding Good Anime
« Reply #705 on: June 14, 2016, 08:15:42 AM »
Now excuse me as I wear my a pair of panties with lace on my face like a super hero mask.

Like this?

Nice!  Had these babies since High School.  Missing Vol. 5, unfortunately.

Speaking of anime, and sorry if I missed another thread about it, but has anyone seen the new Voltron on Netflix yet?  I watched a bit of it and it's not bad but IMO they dropped the ball on the music.  No sign of the original theme I loved so much as a kid, now it's semi-generic sorta fantasy/movie type stuff.  They also made a Pidge into a girl.  I don't know why but that upsets me, but it does! I guess I just don't like the source material tampered with too much.  On the upside they got that guy who played the manager from Flight of the Conchords and the werewolf leader from What We Do in the Shadows to be the voice of Coran, which is sweet.  Princess is no longer white bread, I guess your mileage may vary on that.  I wasn't too bothered by it but again I prefer the original models.  Looks like a design more out of Lunar or similar (has more of a 90's-ish feel than an 80's one to me).  The lions looked a little more menacing in the original, I think, which is preferable to me.  Voltron's design is mostly the same though I think it was missing the crest on it's chest and the star belt.  Biggest change that I noticed was in the face.  The new one is more squared off and has a frown.  I kinda prefer the DSL of the original, plus I love that 70's/80's/Giant Robot/Glam Rock look it had going on.  None of that remains.  The Robeasts so far have been alright, no complaints, feels like daikaijuu stuff which I like.  They used to get dropped off in giant coffins (awesome) and now it's a box and sorta coffin shaped but a little less descript.

I read a few reactions online and it seems like a few people are disappointed in the joining sequence.  I think it's mostly the same but the key element again was the music for me, and with that missing it doesn't have the same feel.  They also cut the "dynatherms connected/megathrusters are go/etc/and I'll form the head" stuff which I always thought was pretty awesome.  The majority of the other comments were from those freaks who want to make the characters into yaoi couples. (Same people ruining Fire Emblem (devs included)).  They scare me, so that's all I saw.

Overall, there is a bit more depth to the writing so it has that over in the original in most cases (except for pidge!) and it's probably worth a look if you were ever a fan of the original.

ClodBuster

• A real powerhouse!
    • Cumonreprocarts.com
« Reply #706 on: June 14, 2016, 08:29:22 AM »
anyone here ever watch violence jack? Im curious because the new Suda51 has inspirations from violence jack, so i think i will look into watching it
I only watched the infamous chainsaw torture scene that floats on Youtube. Was enough for me, even though I've got no issue with other brutal human dismemberings, e.g. MD Geist. It's just that I can't stand watching somebody being tortured.

They tried to make me do a recap
I said no, no, no

esteban

« Reply #707 on: June 14, 2016, 12:18:35 PM »
I know I am late to the party but I am having a great time watching Full Metal Alchemist with my daughter (12 years old) and she really likes Cowboy Bepop (I'm rewatching it).   

She is giving Record of Lodoss War a chance, too...but I don't know if she likes it as much as I did.
  |    | 

DragonmasterDan

« Reply #708 on: June 14, 2016, 01:40:25 PM »

I agree that Anime had a totally different feel back then.  We had a little club and got new freshly taped shows as they aired for a while, and even though there's been a handful (pretty rare actually) of new shows that have come out in recent years, all of my favorites (including themes) are from yesteryear.  Cyberpunk, horror, giant robots, demons, etc. etc. etc. vs. now the cute and bubbly Chris Hansen from Dateline NBC summoning fare of late.  I admit my favorite of all time is Urusei Yatsura though, which is pretty cute and bubbly.  But great!

I am actually trying to watch all 190+ episodes of the TV series right now and currently up to 35 so some ways off.

Watching this today I really miss this kind of animation although I can see imperfections and rough bits here and there which is what I think gives it that charm.  The show is really bizarre to say the least and the pacing feels forced at times as in it flows to quickly and there is a lot to take in.  Each show is around 25 mins but they never seem to drag.

The japanese voice acting is superb and while the stories and supporting characters feel a bit insane at times if you stick to it you might find you end up craving to see more episodes.
I've no doubt the influence this anime show had on video games and sci fi anime at that time.
 I love the 80's music in this and somehow I feel this show had influenced a lot of the music you hear on pc engine CD-Rom tracks and some of Konami's crazier games such as Parodius...cute girls, aliens, space ships, japanese cultural references and underworld folklore all in one show...

Try and get it if you can. They don't make em' like they used to.

I picked up the first 25 volumes on DVD inexpensively a few years back. After about 15 episodes they get kind of repetitive. But I love that 80s animation
--DragonmasterDan

Digi.k

« Reply #709 on: July 06, 2016, 02:48:57 AM »
oh if you folks are into demon slaying, blade runner-esque vistas and an all female cast of of devil hunters look out for Silent  Mobius. 

I am a huge fan of Kia Asamiya's work and been collecting his stuff over the years.  There are two short movies and a 26 episode tv series (released many years after the movies) which you could check out.  I had no idea that the movies got western release and completely forgot about them over the years.  So I was extremely surprise and happy to have found the first movie released by Bandai for fairly cheap on US import.  The 2nd movie however is a lot more harder to come by and pricier too...

Shame a pc engine game never materialized.

The TV series starts of cool but somewhere halfway it seems like they began to run out of money as the quality begins to fall a bit but don't let that put you off.

« Last Edit: July 06, 2016, 11:50:10 AM by Digi.k »

esteban

« Reply #710 on: July 06, 2016, 05:42:08 AM »
Silent Möbius.

Damn.

The list grows.
  |    | 

ClodBuster

• A real powerhouse!
    • Cumonreprocarts.com
« Reply #711 on: July 08, 2016, 08:47:03 AM »
I watched Silent Möbius back in 2002 on TV. To me, back then it made the impression of being a spiritual sequel to Bubblegum Crisis. I wasn't very fond of both Asamiya's visual character design as well as the story, but it held my interest until the end of the series.

On another note.

I'm watching the SDF Macross TV series for the second time on DVD. Still very entertaining.

They tried to make me do a recap
I said no, no, no

NightWolve

« Reply #712 on: July 08, 2016, 09:43:14 AM »
Yes, she is. ;)

SignOfZeta

« Reply #713 on: July 08, 2016, 10:31:41 AM »
I got a copy of Project A-Ko 3 (first pressing, not the "Dual Disc"). It's a great series, but we probably know all that. What I found interesting was a sorta promo real at the end all in Chinese, with digitally censored boobies to go with it.

Also, a music video for the closing theme where the two idols are wearing super baggy acid washed overalls and dancing around a farm...

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g780857-d1395744-Reviews-Makaino_Farm-Fujinomiya_Shizuoka_Prefecture_Chubu.html

That place, actually.

I love 80s anime. I really do.

I also got EP3 of a short lived OVA (probably there is a manga) called Shakotan Boogie. I bought it because I never saw it before. Bosuzoku style low riders, basically. A lot like Initial D, just a decade earlier and nowhere near as good. It doesn't seem to be listed at LDDB.com yet. It's amazing that we're still uncovering unlisted LDs even now in 2016 with something like 60,000 known releases.

Also, I have my own copy of Angel's Egg now. :) My word that movie is absolutely unique. A masterpiece.

Sarumaru

• I hate you all.
    • FX Unit Yuki Official Website
« Reply #714 on: July 08, 2016, 11:03:03 AM »
Best animuus evarrrr
:yuki: "Go forth, FX-Unit Yuki!" http://www.fxunityuki.com
            Available NOW for the PC Engine and Dreamcast!

Digi.k

« Reply #715 on: July 08, 2016, 12:50:04 PM »

Also, I have my own copy of Angel's Egg now. :) My word that movie is absolutely unique. A masterpiece.

I've forgotten about that anime

SignOfZeta

« Reply #716 on: July 08, 2016, 03:39:44 PM »
Somewhere on Youtube I saw an HD transfer of Angel's Egg. It was obvious when I saw it that anyone who saw this movie only in SD hasn't really seen the movie yet. Its a decent LD, but still just an LD. There is so much detail in this movie that's been hidden since 1986 and only now being seen.

The HD one I saw didn't have English subs, but really there's almost no dialogue and none of it makes sense anyway, don't worry about it.

Arbitern1

« Reply #717 on: July 09, 2016, 01:42:56 AM »
Angels egg looks absolutely beautiful. It's certainly a film that would drive many people up the wall. I love it though. It's a movie you can just sit in. Why won't Oshii do anime anymore? I know his later output is pretty hit or miss, but almost all his live action films are terrible.

esteban

« Reply #718 on: July 09, 2016, 02:24:30 AM »
OK, I don't think I have ever seen Angel's Egg...the title fete only doesn't ring a bell.

ONE MORE ITEM ADDED TO NEVER-ENDING LIST.
  |    | 

BigusSchmuck

« Reply #719 on: July 09, 2016, 03:57:32 AM »
The new Berserk anime is pretty good. I would say a step above the movies, but not as good as the original anime.