Author Topic: The Anime Thread: Finding Good Anime  (Read 30657 times)

esteban

Re: The Anime Thread: Finding Good Anime
« Reply #735 on: August 11, 2016, 01:15:22 AM »
Did I mention I found Grave of the Fireflies tedious to watch?

That's a shame, since it is a great film.

Not enough sex/motorcycles/tits/magic/guns/tits/jidaigeki/vampires/supernatural cocks/pre-pubescent girls/Squirtles/anthropomorphized cats/sex?

That is a shame.

|    | 

ClodBuster

• A real powerhouse!
    • Cumonreprocarts.com
« Reply #736 on: August 11, 2016, 02:05:04 AM »
No. Just tedious, that's all.

They tried to make me do a recap
I said no, no, no

BigusSchmuck

« Reply #737 on: August 11, 2016, 02:51:17 AM »
Got the wife to watch Food Wars! since its basically a cooking anime show on steroids. Very very goofy, enough said.

esteban

The Anime Thread: Finding Good Anime
« Reply #738 on: August 11, 2016, 07:07:53 AM »
No. Just tedious, that's all.

Stay away from:

Los Olvidados
The Shining
Walkabout
Fitzcarraldo
Aguirre, Wrath of God
Redbeard
The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

And countless other tedious films.

:)

Yes, I am teasing you about your taste and your tolerance for slower pacing.

Seriously, though, stay away from every film Antonioni ever made. Even Blow Up.

Sorry to tease :)
« Last Edit: August 11, 2016, 07:13:51 AM by esteban »
  |    | 

ClodBuster

• A real powerhouse!
    • Cumonreprocarts.com
« Reply #739 on: August 11, 2016, 07:21:34 AM »
Thanks for the advice. I'll keep it in mind.

I said no, no, no

SignOfZeta

« Reply #740 on: August 11, 2016, 08:36:25 AM »
I'm so glad someone else played art snob instead of me this time. I'm worn the hell out putting the taste smack down on cavemen Internet-wide.

To prove I'm as low as anyone, a Family Guy reference. What was it he said when asked why he didn't like The Godfather? I can't remember.

esteban

« Reply #741 on: August 11, 2016, 08:10:36 PM »
I'm so glad someone else played art snob instead of me this time. I'm worn the hell out putting the taste smack down on cavemen Internet-wide.

To his credit, he didn't take the bait

BACK ON TOPIC:

By the way, I actually am having fun watching Noragami.

I finished the first season.

Maybe I lost all credibility by acknowledging this?
« Last Edit: August 11, 2016, 08:15:52 PM by esteban »
  |    | 

TR0N

« Reply #742 on: August 12, 2016, 05:43:21 PM »
Did I mention I found Grave of the Fireflies tedious to watch?

Let's face it, the current Japanese animation market caters to grade school kids and otaku. The bottom has fallen out of a lot of different markets in Japan.

This got me thinking about when I quit bothering to even check the new anime each season in Japan. I'm thinking around 2011 was when I just gave up. I vaguely pay attention to US releases and use that as a quasi-filter now. Lately I've been rewatching a lot of older oavs.

Been watching aura battler dunbine as of late.Last year i pick it up on dvd and so i figure id watch it finally.Interesting mix of fanta
Ergo proxy started well... But then got shit towards the end.   

Yeah pretty much. I had high hopes for it too.

Let's face it, the current Japanese animation market caters to grade school kids and otaku. The bottom has fallen out of a lot of different markets in Japan.

Been watching aura battler dunbine as of late.Last year i pick it up on dvd and so i figure id watch it finally.Interesting mix of fantasy and sci-fi.This show is directed by yoshiyuki tomino of gundam fame,so yeah you will have characters die randomly out of nowhere  :lol:

I remember this being decent. 7/10 material or so, but it's been a long time and I am biased positively towards mecha.

Did you actually managed to get all the dvds btw? Vol 11 and 12 are pretty hard to find. I torrented that shit.
lost in quotation.
Damn edit wasn't working right  ](*,)

PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

ClodBuster

• A real powerhouse!
    • Cumonreprocarts.com
« Reply #743 on: August 12, 2016, 08:10:35 PM »
I liked watching Tampopo (funny movie about a female ramen cook and for the love of food in itself) and I'm a fan of everything directed by Takeshi Kitano (apart from Blood and Bones, what an annoying waste of time).

Otherwise, to hell with any arthouse cinema bullshit. Most of these just exist to make viewers feel pseudo intellectual.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2016, 08:13:37 PM by ClodBuster »

I said no, no, no

seieienbu

« Reply #744 on: August 13, 2016, 07:34:57 AM »
BACK ON TOPIC:

I watched the first season and thought it was better at the start than at the end.  I tried to watch the second season but never got through the second episode.
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

esteban

« Reply #745 on: August 13, 2016, 08:16:02 AM »
BACK ON TOPIC:

I watched the first season and thought it was better at the start than at the end.  I tried to watch the second season but never got through the second episode.

I am going to try to watch Season 2 soon.

I also want to finish watching Full Metal Alchemist (which has been enjoyable, as well).

I liked watching Tampopo (funny movie about a female ramen cook and for the love of food in itself) and I'm a fan of everything directed by Takeshi Kitano (apart from Blood and Bones, what an annoying waste of time).

Otherwise, to hell with any arthouse cinema bullshit. Most of these just exist to make viewers feel pseudo intellectual.

I've seen Tampopo. :)

Anyway, don't worry so much about other folks (there will always be silly people)...and don't worry about how something is labeled/marketed... see if *you* enjoy it.

No, I don't think you will rush out to see Los Olvidados.

But I bet you *might* find it intriguing, especially for the time it was made.

FUN TANGENT:
If Dracula X/Snatcher/Metal Slug were "art house gaming", would we care? (Hint: they are!)

I can pseudo-intellectualize anything: great games, crappy video games, the swirling mass in the toilet I sit upon now, the lyrics to "Sea of Love" on TG-CD, vapid anime, XaviX, all the films by Jackie Chan, etc.

|    | 

Gypsy

« Reply #746 on: August 13, 2016, 08:59:30 AM »
Anyway, don't worry so much about other folks (there will always be silly people)...and don't worry about how something is labeled/marketed... see if *you* enjoy it.

This. Just watch what you enjoy. Too many times with anime people try to make people feel bad for what they watch. f*ck that.

SignOfZeta

« Reply #747 on: August 13, 2016, 12:09:47 PM »

GotF isn't "art house cinema". Its not 8 1/2 or even Stardust Memories. It's a really straightforward movie with only two main characters, less than 90min IIRC. If you can't handle something simple as that then forget enjoying huge portion of the best movies ever made.

ClodBuster

• A real powerhouse!
    • Cumonreprocarts.com
« Reply #748 on: August 18, 2016, 06:38:44 PM »
Can't handle it, and I'm not ashamed to admit it in the public. I never understood why grave was so hyped. I found it acceptable, though. Maybe not as bad as I made purposefully up, for the fun. But ultimately, that film doesn't mean much to ME. I'd rather watch Aliens or the first Terminator for the tenth time, they never get old.

Don't blame me that you're enjoying a boring-as-hell movie like grave. That's ok, since it is YOUR taste, but you can't make everybody in the world share that taste.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2016, 07:06:21 PM by ClodBuster »

I said no, no, no

esteban

« Reply #749 on: August 19, 2016, 03:31:08 AM »
Can't handle it, and I'm not ashamed to admit it in the public. I never understood why grave was so hyped. I found it acceptable, though. Maybe not as bad as I made purposefully up, for the fun. But ultimately, that film doesn't mean much to ME. I'd rather watch Aliens or the first Terminator for the tenth time, they never get old.

Don't blame me that you're enjoying a boring-as-hell movie like grave. That's ok, since it is YOUR taste, but you can't make everybody in the world share that taste.

Well, in the form of a simple drama (brother and sister trying to survive), it masterfully delves into personal, moral, political, social, existential, economic, historical, etc. issues. It is *not* simply about war. Hell no. Yes, it deals with war, but so much more (existential).

And it does it in a *meaningful* way against the backdrop that is still relevant today (yes the film is about WWII, and yes, it has specific meanings for the pre- and post- WWII generations, but the issues in GotF remain relevant today and transcend that specific era in history).

Surely you know about the firebombings of Dresden?

Think about how that *alone* (let alone the backdrop of Grave) has relevance to 2016 and the tactics used by governments/politicians today.

Even if you were ignorant of history (I am *not* suggesting you are), nearly all viewers would still be able to engage with the moral/political/social/economic ramifications of *inequality* and GotF. Hardship is not equally distributed in a society divided by inequality.

Notice I didn't even mention "war"...because Grave of the Fireflies is *not* simply about war. It is about what is happening, every day. I worry about my flaky internet connection whilst millions of people are simply trying to survive another day.

WATCH "THE BICYCLE THIEF" .... If you find that film boring, then I understand why you would call GotF boring.

I have always thought that The Bicycle Thief and Grave of the Fireflies were connected in some meaningful way, beyond the obvious WWII backdrop.

Anyway, if those are boring films, may I suggest The Battle of Algiers as a film that might match your preferences? It is less boring, perhaps. And, more obviously relevant to issues of 2016.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2016, 03:41:35 AM by esteban »
  |    |