Author Topic: The Anime Thread: Finding Good Anime  (Read 30685 times)

BigusSchmuck

Re: The Anime Thread: Finding Good Anime
« Reply #750 on: August 19, 2016, 04:43:18 PM »
The new Berserk anime is finally getting interesting. If you disregard a whole ark missing (The Black Swordsman and The Lost Children Ark) its doing the Conviction Ark justice. I just wish they ditch the cheesy CGI.

SignOfZeta

« Reply #751 on: August 19, 2016, 05:35:33 PM »
Can't handle it, and I'm not ashamed to admit it in the public. I never understood why grave was so hyped. I found it acceptable, though. Maybe not as bad as I made purposefully up, for the fun. But ultimately, that film doesn't mean much to ME. I'd rather watch Aliens or the first Terminator for the tenth time, they never get old.

Don't blame me that you're enjoying a boring-as-hell movie like grave. That's ok, since it is YOUR taste, but you can't make everybody in the world share that taste.

Why would I blame you for me enjoying a movie? Never mind what sort of mechanism would take place to make that happen in the first place. Why would anyone be blamed? I'm nothing but thankful that I have a love of boring things.

Its not really taste, exactly. Apparently you're a retarded 9 year old because if if its not full on scifi action with both barrels blazing nonstop its unwatchable. I have a hard time even imagining what life would be like if I had zero attention span or breath of interests.

I imagine you only have one CD, Andrew WK's "I Get Wet".

You're really missing out on a LOT. And I'm not saying that like some hipster trying to tell you licorice isn't disgusting or when you watch sports without a DVR. I mean you seriously have missed out on a LOT if you can't handle a movie more complex than a GI Joe cartoon. I'm not going to list movies here or anything, there's no point. From what you're saying probably %90 of all movies ever made bore you to tears. In other words, you don't actually like movies.

Ah! I remmeber. "It insists upon itself". That's what he said.

SignOfZeta

« Reply #752 on: August 19, 2016, 05:38:03 PM »
Can't handle it, and I'm not ashamed to admit it in the public. I never understood why grave was so hyped. I found it acceptable, though. Maybe not as bad as I made purposefully up, for the fun. But ultimately, that film doesn't mean much to ME. I'd rather watch Aliens or the first Terminator for the tenth time, they never get old.

Don't blame me that you're enjoying a boring-as-hell movie like grave. That's ok, since it is YOUR taste, but you can't make everybody in the world share that taste.

Well, in the form of a simple drama (brother and sister trying to survive), it masterfully delves into personal, moral, political, social, existential, economic, historical, etc. issues. It is *not* simply about war. Hell no. Yes, it deals with war, but so much more (existential).

And it does it in a *meaningful* way against the backdrop that is still relevant today (yes the film is about WWII, and yes, it has specific meanings for the pre- and post- WWII generations, but the issues in GotF remain relevant today and transcend that specific era in history).

Surely you know about the firebombings of Dresden?

Think about how that *alone* (let alone the backdrop of Grave) has relevance to 2016 and the tactics used by governments/politicians today.

Even if you were ignorant of history (I am *not* suggesting you are), nearly all viewers would still be able to engage with the moral/political/social/economic ramifications of *inequality* and GotF. Hardship is not equally distributed in a society divided by inequality.

Notice I didn't even mention "war"...because Grave of the Fireflies is *not* simply about war. It is about what is happening, every day. I worry about my flaky internet connection whilst millions of people are simply trying to survive another day.

WATCH "THE BICYCLE THIEF" .... If you find that film boring, then I understand why you would call GotF boring.

I have always thought that The Bicycle Thief and Grave of the Fireflies were connected in some meaningful way, beyond the obvious WWII backdrop.

Anyway, if those are boring films, may I suggest The Battle of Algiers as a film that might match your preferences? It is less boring, perhaps. And, more obviously relevant to issues of 2016.

The Bicycle Thief *needs* to be boring to work. You have to be genuinely sedated so that when the end comes you won't KILL YOURSELF.

BTW, I'm not sure why you are recommending other movies. GotF was on a double bill with My Neighbor Totoro. Its a cartoon for children, preteens, 9 year olds even. Heavy as f*ck? Yes, but its Japan's Last Temptation of Christ so the whole family sees it. If he can't handle a little baby's cartoon like GotF then he's not going to make it two frames into The Bicycle Thief. As soon as he sees its in black and white he'll throw his Captain Caveman club high through the screen.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2016, 05:42:08 PM by SignOfZeta »

esteban

« Reply #753 on: August 19, 2016, 05:56:02 PM »
^ Hey, you never know. He might be curious to check out stuff :)
  |    | 

ClodBuster

• A real powerhouse!
    • Cumonreprocarts.com
« Reply #754 on: August 19, 2016, 07:50:57 PM »
I watch movies to enjoy them. Can I get enjoyment about watching two kids starving slowly to death? Hell no.

They tried to make me do a recap
I said no, no, no

Digi.k

« Reply #755 on: September 03, 2016, 10:26:05 AM »
Really am enjoying rewatching the 2003 tv series of Astro Boy.  I wish I could watch it with the original japanese just to see how much was changed when it was westernized but still great production values.  I' m not a huge fan of Osamu Tezuka's work but here I feel they gave the series some love and charm.

PunkicCyborg

« Reply #756 on: September 03, 2016, 10:54:04 AM »
I finished Maison Ikkoku and was having a hard time finding something to follow up that amazing series with. Watched most of Super Dimension Century Orguss but started to feel like a chore. Just got really boring but I need to finish it since I'm almost done. Wife wanted something to watch with me so we started Macross Frontier but she kept falling asleep. Then she wanted to switch to Inu Yasha but man thats just too long at almost 200 episodes for the first series!
Finally started Gurren Lagann and think that will be the one we stick with, whether she falls asleep or not on me (I work late so our sleep schedules kind of suck) because it's so fun. I'm just gonna binge watch this all week. Gotta love Gainax!
(19:28:25) GE0: superdead told me in whisper that his favorite game is mario paint

SignOfZeta

« Reply #757 on: September 03, 2016, 01:12:07 PM »
Even I like Gurren Lagann.

I don't know how it rates overall but if you like really long soap opera stuff that goes in strange places sometimes (Maison) then try Touch. A word of warning. If you think you want to watch the long TV version then do so. You could also watch the movies instead. However there is a major event that takes place somewhat early on in the series and the TV/films will spoil it for each other.

I'd recommend the movies, honestly.

DragonmasterDan

« Reply #758 on: September 03, 2016, 01:41:19 PM »
Really am enjoying rewatching the 2003 tv series of Astro Boy.  I wish I could watch it with the original japanese just to see how much was changed when it was westernized but still great production values.  I' m not a huge fan of Osamu Tezuka's work but here I feel they gave the series some love and charm.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZ7U-XbAp-s

I got six of the DVDs of this series from dollar tree of all places. I've thus far only watched the first episode though.

I really love the 1980 version of Astro Boy as well if you enjoy this one.
--DragonmasterDan

SignOfZeta

« Reply #759 on: September 03, 2016, 05:07:35 PM »
The GBA game from that era is maybe my favorite game on the system. I haven't seen the TV series though since I'm waiting for a Japanese language version. Been waiting 10 years or more now 12?

The Astro Boy manga is like nothing else. Amazing.

wildfruit

« Reply #760 on: September 03, 2016, 10:24:29 PM »
No. Just tedious, that's all.
You have no soul?

ClodBuster

• A real powerhouse!
    • Cumonreprocarts.com
« Reply #761 on: September 03, 2016, 11:03:07 PM »
My hair is blonde, and I don't have freckles.

I said no, no, no

DragonmasterDan

« Reply #762 on: September 04, 2016, 01:07:47 AM »
The GBA game from that era is maybe my favorite game on the system.

It's my favorite game made by Treasure too.
--DragonmasterDan

esteban

« Reply #763 on: September 04, 2016, 01:13:25 AM »
My hair is blonde, and I don't have freckles.

We tease you too much! Sorry. :)

By the way, have you seen Fires on the Plain?

I think it is the perfect film for you. Lots of mocaccino, mocha, Marvel superheroes and explosions and tits with an occasional penis. NOT BORING AT ALL.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fires_on_the_Plain_(1959_film)

NOTE: Not tedious.

:)
« Last Edit: September 04, 2016, 01:15:54 AM by esteban »
  |    | 

ClodBuster

• A real powerhouse!
    • Cumonreprocarts.com
« Reply #764 on: September 04, 2016, 02:54:31 AM »
When somebody gets butthurt about hearing others opinions, he should hide himself in a deep hole isolated from the rest of the world and shouldn't visit online forums.

:)

I said no, no, no