Author Topic: The Anime Thread: Finding Good Anime  (Read 30665 times)

Gypsy

Re: The Anime Thread: Finding Good Anime
« Reply #810 on: April 21, 2017, 03:40:10 AM »
Yeah, I picked up the full season in slim cases releases. The master appears to be the same one from the split season releases.

I'm a pretty big cheapskate when it comes to anime. I typically pre-order nothing.

Medic_wheat

« Reply #811 on: April 21, 2017, 05:14:23 AM »
Yeah, I picked up the full season in slim cases releases. The master appears to be the same one from the split season releases.

I'm a pretty big cheapskate when it comes to anime. I typically pre-order nothing.

I am the same. I'll go for the cheapest option that allows me to complete a series and save as much space on the DVD wall.

Minus my days of just torrenting the shot out of everything and having my apartment littered with HDDs wfilled with tv shows movies and anime.

Haven't torrented in nearly three years so now I just look for deals.

roflmao

« Reply #812 on: April 22, 2017, 04:13:27 PM »
Both of these I've had as either VHS or DVD, but I finally got around to adding them to my LaserDisc library, and the both look phenomenal in that format.

SignOfZeta

« Reply #813 on: April 22, 2017, 05:21:01 PM »
You should consider a version of GitS that isn't shit! I recommend the Premium Box (BEAL-921). You get both languages and the video doesn't look like dirareah like all Manga's LDs did. It also has CCs/LD+G.

ClodBuster

• A real powerhouse!
    • Cumonreprocarts.com
« Reply #814 on: April 22, 2017, 11:14:28 PM »

Yes.

Source: https://twitter.com/colonydrop/status/851960447766978560

Oh and by the way, I found Ghost in the Shell with Scarlett Johannson quite decent. I wasn't expecting much when friends asked me to go with them to the cinema, but eventually I was pleasantly surprised. Not mindblown, but since I forgot most about the story from when I saw the Anime on DVD over ten years ago, I was able to enjoy it without having to compare the new and old one back and forth in my mind.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2017, 11:19:31 PM by ClodBuster »

They tried to make me do a recap
I said no, no, no

SignOfZeta

« Reply #815 on: April 23, 2017, 01:45:19 AM »
Getting my mind blow is why I watch GiTS. I have no need for a $200M large print edition for the punters. Totally f*cking pointless. I'm glad to hear it isn't bad, but "not bad" isn't high enough praise for GitS. I still think about Stand Alone Complex on a daily basis and I haven't seen a single episode in probably five years.

Gypsy

« Reply #816 on: April 23, 2017, 02:16:19 AM »
Getting my mind blow is why I watch GiTS. I have no need for a $200M large print edition for the punters. Totally f*cking pointless. I'm glad to hear it isn't bad, but "not bad" isn't high enough praise for GitS. I still think about Stand Alone Complex on a daily basis and I haven't seen a single episode in probably five years.

:lol: But yeah I hear you, this version is no doubt pretty pointless.

@Clod That's pretty awful. Never much understood the desire to watch unboxing videos myself.

That Bubblegum Crisis set is pretty nice, much much much better than say, the recent blu release of GiTS SAC. Referring purely to the quality of the release. Unfortunately, it's really a complete joke that no one should buy, out of fear of showing a penny of support for such shit practices.

esteban

« Reply #817 on: April 23, 2017, 02:56:30 AM »

Hollywood.

Nuff said.
  |    | 

TR0N

« Reply #818 on: May 26, 2017, 10:45:02 PM »
Well this is a pleasant surprise,record of the lodoss war ova and tv series being released again on bluray.
It pop up on my recommendations through amazon.This is a must buy for me since i like to replace my copy of it on dvd.Still i wish funimation would redub it i all ways thought CPM did a terrible job of it.By the way it's release will be in july.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2017, 10:48:14 PM by TR0N »

PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

esteban

The Anime Thread: Finding Good Anime
« Reply #819 on: May 28, 2017, 12:12:16 AM »
Well this is a pleasant surprise,record of the lodoss war ova and tv series being released again on bluray.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hJ7SJC1vFY
It pop up on my recommendations through amazon.This is a must buy for me since i like to replace my copy of it on dvd.Still i wish funimation would redub it i all ways thought CPM did a terrible job of it.By the way it's release will be in july.

I have the DVDs, too.

I was going to rewatch them and see if my kids were interested.

Now, I don't even want to think about how much better the picture quality could be if I wasn't watching DVD.
  |    | 

TR0N

« Reply #820 on: May 28, 2017, 10:14:31 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hJ7SJC1vFY

I have the DVDs, too.

I was going to rewatch them and see if my kids were interested.

Now, I don't even want to think about how much better the picture quality could be if I wasn't watching DVD.

Ditto have both on dvd as well.I did watch the ova and the tv series originally on vhs first before getting it on dvd.If the transfer is done right i assume it will look better on bluray.The most i'm buying it for the ova it's one of my favorites from the 90's.

Digi.k

« Reply #821 on: May 31, 2017, 06:40:11 AM »
Gonna keep a look out for this one in the coming months.

Ex-Ghibli Director Yonebayashi's Mary and the Witch's Flower

Also if you don't mind the slight bromance and pretty boys in speedos there is Free! Iwatobi Swim Club which I actually enjoyed the characters develop.

ClodBuster

• A real powerhouse!
    • Cumonreprocarts.com
« Reply #822 on: June 06, 2017, 07:32:10 PM »

I just watched Project A-Ko on DVD yesterday.

Hilarious story, likeable characters and so much parody everywhere (without the need for the audience to have seen the parodied references). Is this where Gunbuster got its idea of girl schools and mech training? The animation is pretty good with lots of smooth scenes, impressive tracking shots over towns, mechs and spaceships, battles, etc.

You won't get this much hand drawn animation out of today's anime.

They tried to make me do a recap
I said no, no, no

TR0N

« Reply #823 on: June 06, 2017, 07:45:05 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MP9gB4Oa5q4

Hilarious story, likeable characters and so much parody everywhere (without the need for the audience to have seen the parodied references). Is this where Gunbuster got its idea of girl schools and mech training? The animation is pretty good with lots of smooth scenes, impressive tracking shots over towns, mechs and spaceships, battles, etc.

Project A-ko is pretty much one big parody.I remember when i first watched it on vhs originally thinking how ridiculous it was  :lol:
« Last Edit: June 06, 2017, 07:47:26 PM by TR0N »

DragonmasterDan

« Reply #824 on: June 07, 2017, 06:50:42 AM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MP9gB4Oa5q4

I believe it was already borrowing a lot of those tropes from existing Manga and Anime. I know A-Ko is very nostalgic for a lot of people and I see why people like it so much, but it isn't exactly a favorite of mine either.

With that said, I really do prefer the fully hand drawn look, painted backgrounds before traditional animation went digital.
--DragonmasterDan