Author Topic: The Anime Thread: Finding Good Anime  (Read 30646 times)

DragonmasterDan

Re: The Anime Thread: Finding Good Anime
« Reply #855 on: July 14, 2017, 10:46:34 AM »
picture quality is exactly the same as the official western bandai release and uses the same assets ie american voice dialogue track

Well it's a DVD, it is digital so assuming they used the same source and didn't re-encode to use single layer discs or something the picture quality wouldn't be suspect.
--DragonmasterDan

Digi.k

« Reply #856 on: July 14, 2017, 11:00:14 AM »
picture quality is exactly the same as the official western bandai release and uses the same assets ie american voice dialogue track

Well it's a DVD, it is digital so assuming they used the same source and didn't re-encode to use single layer discs or something the picture quality wouldn't be suspect.

Well the problem I have is that no one is selling the official US copy for a reasonable price.  It's out of print. there is nothing on Youtube showing the full movie or even something like KODI and I wanted to see the movie with western audio as I have been watching the first movie and TV series all in english and this is the only way I can ever get to watch the 2nd motion picture and now I get sneered at by anime snobs O_o

I can't even feed the malay DVD through a capture device as it says it has HDCP encoding on it.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2017, 11:11:46 AM by Digi.k »

Gypsy

« Reply #857 on: July 14, 2017, 11:23:51 AM »
I understand why you bought it, I just thought it was funny that you said Malaysian release instead of bootleg.

Really it's a shame that the situation is what it is. The series and the first movie are so cheap in the aftermarket that I would guess most companies don't see much of a profit in getting the license.

SignOfZeta

« Reply #858 on: July 14, 2017, 12:03:25 PM »
It's worth $10 to not have to torrent it yourself, especially if it's on a pressed disc. Everyone's got bootlegs. I'm rolling hundreds deep in OG LDs and even I have assloads of bootlegs. 

(I don't generally pay very much, if anything for them however.)
« Last Edit: July 14, 2017, 12:06:55 PM by SignOfZeta »

Medic_wheat

« Reply #859 on: August 13, 2017, 02:31:46 PM »
So thought I'd take this thread in new direction. I nothing else to spark a conversation about Anime without the need to a new thread.

-what holes are you currently trying to complete in your anime sets?

-what are some "rare" hard to find anime you are still on the hunt for?

-what are some of your most prized anime VHS/Laser Disk/DVD/Bluerays?

-what are some upcoming anime dvd/blue rays you are looking forwored to picking up?

Thought this would stimulate some conversation and possibly garner attention to something new or old to watch.

DragonmasterDan

« Reply #860 on: August 13, 2017, 02:37:07 PM »
So thought I'd take this thread in new direction. I nothing else to spark a conversation about Anime without the need to a new thread.

There aren't a lot of "holes" persay. I'd really like a DVD of Neo Tokyo or for a US Blu-Ray to come out.

See above. almost everything else is stuff I "want" but only if it's a really good deal.

I have a handful of movies that haven't been released on DVD or BR in the US that are on laserdisc. Lensman, Twilight of the Cockroaches and Lupin the Third: Gold Babylon are three that come to mind

-what are some upcoming anime dvd/blue rays you are looking forwored to picking up?

Besides some much buy stuff for me (I'm a huge Lupin the third fan) there aren't a lot of super exciting releases that I'm aware of on the horizon.

--DragonmasterDan

SignOfZeta

« Reply #861 on: August 13, 2017, 02:45:52 PM »
Inspired by this amazing scratch build superpower: https://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/index.php?topic=10062.855;topicseen

I decided to watch the finale again myself. I watched both the TV series and third movie. These being from the Master Grade Box and the 1998 TV box. It. Was really cool to see how much new animation was really added to the movie version. (A lot). When you don't watch them side by side you don't notice it as much. I usually watch the movies anyway. Also, the 15 sec trailer for this third movie made me want to watch the whole thing again.

After this I decided to keep going so I watched the last ep of Z and ZZ, the last real and a half of Char's Counterattack, and now I'm going for EP 6 of 0080.

Gundam Finalefest 2017.

So far my opinion is that the third movie had the best finale. You really got a cohesive sense of all the shit that was happening at once. The new scenes are in many cases vastly improved or expanded upon. In Zeta the show seems very focused on the heroes, those that are left by the end anyway, and this kind of gives it that fake/superficial X Men vibe where it seems like only cool badasses exist. ZZ has a decent ending but CCA is terrific with all that whispy triply rainbowy Newtype stuff happening all over the place. I'll never understand this movie but I'll always love it. Maybe the best example of hand drawn mecha? Possibly.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2017, 03:05:17 PM by SignOfZeta »

Medic_wheat

« Reply #862 on: August 13, 2017, 02:51:42 PM »

For me I am still missing: Robotech Legacy 5/6/8, Planetes 3/4, ROD TV 1/3/4, Magic Knight Rayeart Memorial box 2, Gasaraki 1, Irrisponsable Captian Taylor box set (only have the OVA), full metal alchamest brotherhood part four, Gankutsuou II, V, Lupin the 3rd final haul movie pack,

I don't really have an answer for this as I dot. Know what's "rare". So let's just say the holes I have are rare to me. As 95% of what I have I buy from used stores.

I'd have to say it's mostly the old stuff that's been re-released. My Lupin the 3rd collection from disco diskotech, big-o blue ray and cowboy bebop and outlaw star.

I'll be honest so much of the urgent anime I see released is girls with big tits and that's about it.

However I hear good things about one punch man, the next season of attack on Titian. Erased sounds interesting.

I have torrented/seen

Parasite and bought it I liked it so much. Then again I remember reading the Managa when new type USA existed. Death Parade (plan to buy), Pyscho. Honestly I have torrented so much anime it's hard to list. Simply can't own it all on the up and up lol.

Medic_wheat

« Reply #863 on: August 13, 2017, 02:52:57 PM »
I could have sworn twilight if the cockroaches got a DVD release in NA.

Well I'll be. It's never had a DVD release. Just looked.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2017, 02:55:11 PM by Medic_wheat »

SignOfZeta

« Reply #864 on: August 13, 2017, 03:26:50 PM »

For me I am still missing: Robotech Legacy 5/6/8, Planetes 3/4, ROD TV 1/3/4, Magic Knight Rayeart Memorial box 2, Gasaraki 1, Irrisponsable Captian Taylor box set (only have the OVA), full metal alchamest brotherhood part four, Gankutsuou II, V, Lupin the 3rd final haul movie pack,

I don't really have an answer for this as I dot. Know what's "rare". So let's just say the holes I have are rare to me. As 95% of what I have I buy from used stores.

I'd have to say it's mostly the old stuff that's been re-released. My Lupin the 3rd collection from disco diskotech, big-o blue ray and cowboy bebop and outlaw star.

I'll be honest so much of the urgent anime I see released is girls with big tits and that's about it.

However I hear good things about one punch man, the next season of attack on Titian. Erased sounds interesting.

I have torrented/seen

Parasite and bought it I liked it so much. Then again I remember reading the Managa when new type USA existed. Death Parade (plan to buy), Pyscho. Honestly I have torrented so much anime it's hard to list. Simply can't own it all on the up and up lol.

I actually have the Final Haul Lupin box. I don't hate it but if you really wanted it I could trade you something for it.

My kid (2) loves Lupin now. I have this weird Cagliostro LD that came out in the late 90s that has two soundtracks 1) the 1992 Streamline dub and 2) music and FX isolated. It also comes with a script so you could dub it yourself if you hate Carl Macek so f*cking much.

So anyway, he fell in love with that movie so I got him the Discotek BR, which is amazing, and even has the same 1992 dub on it.

Gypsy

« Reply #865 on: August 13, 2017, 04:18:39 PM »

I know I still have a few shows where I'm missing 1 or 2 singles. Nothing is a huge hole though, and I have the episodes on an hdd, but still I would like to complete these shows that I enjoyed.

Hmm, not too much. I just knocked out a few shows I had been trying to track down for years (without breaking the bank) so that was nice. Thank goodness for Madman entertainment who is based in Australia. I got their releases of Nana (really good) and Karin (comedy nonsense). Way cheaper than the US releases usually fetch online.

I'd have to go with my Slayers and Lupin stuff. Some of my favourite anime right there. Also Macross.

Nothing upcoming but there are a few Discotek releases that are still in print that I'd like to pick up. Probably soon-ish. Mostly old mecha that is seeing its first US release like Dancougar and Giant Gorg. I'm making sure to buy these new, it's not much of a price difference and I want to see more old mecha put out by them. So nothing new, that's for sure.

Do yourself a favour and don't get Robotech. Just get the original stuff. I mean, unless you really want to watch that version for some reason.

Medic_wheat

« Reply #866 on: August 14, 2017, 01:33:32 AM »
Robotech

That's the funny thing I grew up watching it so I enjoy it. Sure I think everyone be knows it's actually three shows merged into a single show. It's funny how things like this seems to become more enjoyable to some then the original versions. Much like your Mario Bros 2, Transformers made form merged toy lines, and what not.

Considering the two or three box sets I am missing go for $10 or less I plan on picking them up sooner or later.

esteban

The Anime Thread: Finding Good Anime
« Reply #867 on: August 14, 2017, 03:00:42 AM »
Robotech

That's the funny thing I grew up watching it so I enjoy it. Sure I think everyone be knows it's actually three shows merged into a single show. It's funny how things like this seems to become more enjoyable to some then the original versions. Much like your Mario Bros 2, Transformers made form merged toy lines, and what not.

Considering the two or three box sets I am missing go for $10 or less I plan on picking them up sooner or later.

I agree. :)

------

Forgive me, for I will rant:

I totally enjoy the RoboTech "hybrid" that we watched.

It is its own, unique experience and perfectly awesome as its own thing.

It has a purpose in this universe, regardless of what purists say.

Purists (let's say "zealots") would want to delete/cleanse the world of a lot of wonderfully unique pop culture: banish all sampling in music! Burn all mash-ups!

We get it!

RoboTech is a bastard!

Well, guess what, I love my little bastard! He's still a part of this family, whether or not his older brothers agree.

YOU WILL ALWAYS BE LOVED.

That doesn't mean I don't love the original source material, too.

PRO TIP: You can enjoy RoboTech for what it is. No need to make excuses. You can also have love for the source material. The categories are *not* mutually exclusive, unless you choose to make it that way.

TRIVIA: LEGENDARY AXE II is a friggin' charming game and the fact that it is a "sequel" only *adds* to my enjoyment of *both* games. I know LAII isn't actually a sequel, but life is *way more fun* in the North American mythos were it is a sequel. I actually feel bad for the Japanese folks who see the games as merely "similar" instead of a "series"... yes, I am easily amused. My heart is big, too. Don't hurt me.

/rant

-------

:)
« Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 03:07:48 AM by esteban »
  |    | 

DragonmasterDan

« Reply #868 on: August 14, 2017, 04:37:23 AM »

My kid (2) loves Lupin now. I have this weird Cagliostro LD that came out in the late 90s that has two soundtracks 1) the 1992 Streamline dub and 2) music and FX isolated. It also comes with a script so you could dub it yourself if you hate Carl Macek so f*cking much.

So anyway, he fell in love with that movie so I got him the Discotek BR, which is amazing, and even has the same 1992 dub on it.

Any chance you know the LDDB entry or anything on which LD of Cagliostro has an English dub on it?
--DragonmasterDan

Gypsy

« Reply #869 on: August 14, 2017, 04:50:32 AM »
Robotech

I'd say Robotech is clearly worse. Obviously just my opinion but I didn't like how they changed characters around. Southern Cross just sucks so there is that. I greatly prefer the original versions of Macross and Genesis Climber Mospeada.

But I mean if you do want it you might as well go for it. I have a couple lying around I'll double check to see if they are the ones you need. I could just throw them in with your raffle package for you. For free of course.