Author Topic: The Anime Thread: Finding Good Anime  (Read 31017 times)

johnnykonami

Re: The Anime Thread: Finding Good Anime
« Reply #900 on: September 18, 2017, 09:57:43 AM »
Nice, looks like you got a few more than I did!  I'll buy Movie 2 again also which I already have on DVD but is being re-released at some point soon by discotek, in hopes it would encourage the series to be re-released.

Beautiful Dreamer is an odd one, I enjoy it on many levels but it's so drastically different than the tone of the TV show that it's kind of hard to get into. I really need to be in a certain type of mindset to watch and enjoy it.

I agree with that, it's much less light-hearted for sure.

SignOfZeta

« Reply #901 on: September 18, 2017, 10:02:46 AM »
I find it the easiest to get into because I don't normally watch a lot of high school stuff.

Gypsy

« Reply #902 on: September 18, 2017, 11:32:28 AM »
I finished up the original Mobile Suit Gundam a few days ago. It was okay. Really ramped up in the last few episodes. Going to start 08th MS Team tonight.

Got the Ranma 1/2 Movies and OAV collection on Blu-ray to complete my Viz special edition set a couple days ago.  Still working my way through the series so I haven't watched it yet, I'm on set 4 I think.  I am still waiting for UY to get the same treatment and then I'm all over that too.

I did the same as to complete my Ranma 1/2 series.

UY?

I'm assuming he means Urusei Yatsura, you know, Lummy with the tiger stripe bikini and the horns?

I've love a UY TV box set myself but I think AnimEigo has lost the rights to it.

With the caveat that it's wiki, there is a list.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AnimEigo#Anime_Titles

And yeah, they lost UY.

ClodBuster

• A real powerhouse!
    • Cumonreprocarts.com
« Reply #903 on: September 18, 2017, 07:27:37 PM »
Today I noticed that living with a cosplaying girlfriend sometimes results in wig heads being randomly placed as decorative objects in the living room. :shock:

On another note, she posed as Eileen from Silent Hill 4, fake bruises and all. Shameless plug:

https://www.facebook.com/morninglorycosplay/photos/a.918824914829324.1073741838.873433509368465/1651316428246832/?type=3&theater

They tried to make me do a recap
I said no, no, no

Winniez

« Reply #904 on: September 19, 2017, 02:00:42 PM »
ClodBuster A Real Powehouse

No Guts, No Glory
Anytime Baby!
Being Nuts Is Neat
Way Out Running!
:)

I have never been a huge fan of anime but grown to somewhat appreciate it. Just recently watched the Ace Attorney series on Crunchyroll. Too bad their selection for my country is very lacking, propably better in the US. Enjoyable series anyway.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2017, 02:05:11 PM by Winniez »

DragonmasterDan

« Reply #905 on: September 19, 2017, 03:20:00 PM »
Though I've seen it many times before. I watched The Castle of Cagliostro in a Cinema for the first time this evening
--DragonmasterDan

Gypsy

« Reply #906 on: September 19, 2017, 04:16:39 PM »
Though I've seen it many times before. I watched The Castle of Cagliostro in a Cinema for the first time this evening

Nice. I don't think it was happening anywhere close enough for me to go. I did watch the blu recently though.

NightWolve

« Reply #907 on: September 20, 2017, 05:35:37 PM »
Thought I'd pass along a Studio Ghibli ad I ran into the other day. Hm, I guess I haven't seen this yet...
From the legendary Studio Ghibli comes NAUSICAÄ OF THE VALLEY OF THE WIND, considered by many to be Oscar-winning director Hayao Miyazaki's masterwork. This epic tale of warring clans, heroism and future worlds ranks not only among the finest animated films, but also among the finest works of science fiction
https://www.facebook.com/GKIDSfilms/videos/10155730577576880/

xelement5x

« Reply #908 on: September 21, 2017, 05:41:49 AM »
First Lupin and now Nausicaa!  How cool!
Gredler: spread her legs and push her down to make her more lively<br>***<br>majors: You used to be the great man, this icon we all looked up to and now your just a pico collecting 'tard...oh, how the mighty have fallen...<br>***<br>_joshuaTurbo: Sex, Lies, Rape and Arkhan. A TurboGrafx love story

DragonmasterDan

« Reply #909 on: September 21, 2017, 06:00:21 AM »
First Lupin and now Nausicaa!  How cool!

It's like the episode of Lupin where Nausicaa rides around in one of the robots from Castle in the Sky.

« Last Edit: September 21, 2017, 06:03:35 AM by DragonmasterDan »
--DragonmasterDan

xelement5x

« Reply #910 on: November 06, 2017, 08:09:12 AM »
So I watched The Eccentric Family on Crunchyroll recently (both seasons) and it was a cute well executed little show.  Nothing amazing animation wise (what is up with the ears) but the premise is fun and the characters are diverse and given decent backstory/characteristics. 
Gredler: spread her legs and push her down to make her more lively<br>***<br>majors: You used to be the great man, this icon we all looked up to and now your just a pico collecting 'tard...oh, how the mighty have fallen...<br>***<br>_joshuaTurbo: Sex, Lies, Rape and Arkhan. A TurboGrafx love story

SignOfZeta

« Reply #911 on: November 06, 2017, 08:19:55 AM »
Nausicaa is my favorite movie ever. Lately my 2.5 year old kid has gotten into it, but only through the soundtracks. He hasn’t seen the movie yet but he loves Joe Hisaishi I guess (kind of like a Japanese Vangelis) and he loves the covers of the albums (which were all Miyazaki watercolors back then since there was to “Ghibli staff artist” team to do them). Weird.

DragonmasterDan

« Reply #912 on: November 06, 2017, 08:31:37 AM »
Nausicaa is my favorite movie ever. Lately my 2.5 year old kid has gotten into it, but only through the soundtracks. He hasn’t seen the movie yet but he loves Joe Hisaishi I guess (kind of like a Japanese Vangelis) and he loves the covers of the albums (which were all Miyazaki watercolors back then since there was to “Ghibli staff artist” team to do them). Weird.

In the Summer they were doing digital screenings of various Ghibli movies (Yes, I'm aware Nausicaa is technically a Topcraft production and not Ghibli) and Nausicaa was among them. Any chance you got to see it on the big screen?
--DragonmasterDan

xelement5x

« Reply #913 on: November 06, 2017, 08:54:33 AM »

Yeah, my 4 year old loves Totoro like to the ends of the earth at this point.  It's funny that since she's just used to the English version of the opening (and she sings it all the time) the JP version really puts her off as the "wrong words".

Gypsy

« Reply #914 on: November 06, 2017, 10:16:20 AM »

Nausicaa is pretty enjoyable. Ran into some people on another forum that hated it. I was surprised but there is always someone that hates something I suppose.

Yeah, my 4 year old loves Totoro like to the ends of the earth at this point.  It's funny that since she's just used to the English version of the opening (and she sings it all the time) the JP version really puts her off as the "wrong words".

Heh. At least the English dubs for Ghibli stuff are generally quite good. I've watched the dub and sub for all that I've seen.