Author Topic: The Anime Thread: Finding Good Anime  (Read 30663 times)

SignOfZeta

Re: The Anime Thread: Finding Good Anime
« Reply #915 on: November 06, 2017, 11:31:52 AM »
I didn’t see Nausicaa this summer. I was too exhausted. It will return though, GKids will go broke selling only BRs. We did see Totoro though, which my kid loves. He loves Mei specifically. My kid also has a preference for the English dub but specifically the Fox/Macek one since that’s what’s on the LD box and that’s where he first saw the movie. He has his own BR now.

His favorite overall thing is Loony Toons and trucks. Anything with trucks. Trucks trucks trucks trucks.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2017, 12:15:49 PM by SignOfZeta »

Gypsy

« Reply #916 on: November 06, 2017, 01:51:09 PM »
Are they really not selling dvd versions or including them with the blu? I haven't looked at all since I have the Disney release of all the ones I want.

SignOfZeta

« Reply #917 on: November 06, 2017, 01:56:50 PM »
I have no idea and I didn’t mean to imply otherwise. It’s just that, from what I’ve heard, Ghibli more or less ensures their US licensed will issue to theaters by charging so much that home video alone won’t pay the bill. They also don’t do streaming.

I consider the DVD ver a “backup copy” so I’d prefer they kept up with that system. I’ll buy them all again just get have the Disney stank scrubbed off them though.

xelement5x

« Reply #918 on: November 07, 2017, 04:39:47 AM »
We still have the DVD version of Totoro.  I wish I'd known they were doing a theater showing of the film as I'd have loved to take my daughter to it, looks like it was back in June apparently. 
Gredler: spread her legs and push her down to make her more lively<br>***<br>majors: You used to be the great man, this icon we all looked up to and now your just a pico collecting 'tard...oh, how the mighty have fallen...<br>***<br>_joshuaTurbo: Sex, Lies, Rape and Arkhan. A TurboGrafx love story

DragonmasterDan

« Reply #919 on: November 07, 2017, 09:34:32 AM »
We still have the DVD version of Totoro.  I wish I'd known they were doing a theater showing of the film as I'd have loved to take my daughter to it, looks like it was back in June apparently. 

I have the Blu-Ray that came in the Miyazaki box set which just has the Disney dub and subs.
--DragonmasterDan

SignOfZeta

« Reply #920 on: November 07, 2017, 10:18:18 AM »
Ok, maybe you’re confusing me now. Are you saying it has no original track? If so, f*ck that release totally. If you mean it lacks the Fox dub, that’s to be assumed. Only Discotek spends money rescuing vintage dubs (and bless them for it). Disney isn’t going to use a lofi mono dub from 1994 (even if the songs are better and the dad cooler).

DragonmasterDan

« Reply #921 on: November 07, 2017, 12:41:08 PM »
Ok, maybe you’re confusing me now. Are you saying it has no original track? If so, f*ck that release totally. If you mean it lacks the Fox dub, that’s to be assumed. Only Discotek spends money rescuing vintage dubs (and bless them for it). Disney isn’t going to use a lofi mono dub from 1994 (even if the songs are better and the dad cooler).

It has the original Japanese audio. But the subtitles are closer to dubtitles.
--DragonmasterDan

Medic_wheat

« Reply #922 on: November 07, 2017, 01:06:13 PM »
So I just found Mushi-shi volume 1 & 2 today. I picked them up remembering he much I enjoyed the series. Back in my pireate bay days. I am sure if I looked through my various USB External HDD’s I might find the. Series I downloaded.

I watched the episodes in the two DVD’s. I really like the cardbored slip case I looked on eBay to see how many volumes there are.

What I learned.

Mushi-shi is 26 episodes from funimation. 6 dvd set. For some reason Volume 3 is trending at $90 plus where Volume 4-6 can be had for around $45 all together on seperate lots. Or a ultimate collectors edition on eBay for $200 of all six slip cover DVDs. Or a SAVE Edition (I never liked the SAVE collections looks but their prices love them) for $34-45.

Then I learned there are two OVA’s a second season and a movie that ends the series. However all of that is licensed by Anipolex from 2014. However I can’t tell if there is a dub of it and there appears to be ZERO NA dvd/Blu-ray release of it. It would seem I’d need a Crunchyroll account.

And I am now swiftly reminded why I torrented a shit ton of Anime. lol.

Gypsy

« Reply #923 on: November 07, 2017, 01:58:03 PM »

SignOfZeta

« Reply #924 on: November 07, 2017, 02:10:22 PM »

It has the original Japanese audio. But the subtitles are closer to dubtitles.

Ah, that’s weird. I wouldn’t really care. I watch most anime raw anyway so really just any kind of translation works. I only need some help.

Medic_wheat

« Reply #925 on: November 07, 2017, 02:12:04 PM »
The save set is $17 brand new from amazon dot com.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B005HVWWB2/ref=tmm_dvd_new_olp_sr?ie=UTF8&condition=new&qid=1510109829&sr=8-1

Hey thanks that’s. Sweet sweet price. Maybe in payday (next Friday not this Friday) I can order it.

xelement5x

« Reply #926 on: November 08, 2017, 04:51:54 AM »
The Disney dub for Totoro is actually quite well done in my opinion, and I've watched it MANY times at this point.  I think it helps that the actresses for the dub are sisters in real life as well which seems to add a bit to it. 

@Medic
Mushishi is a neat series, I've got the version you actually didn't mention.  In between the singles box set and the SAVE edition they did a slimpack with a nested case.  It looks like this:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mushishi-Mushi-Shi-Complete-Box-Set-4-Disc-DVD-Set-Funimation-COMPLETE-TESTED/263299053478

My wife was saying the manga is also incredibly expensive now as well for some volumes.  With Aniplex taking the rights back it means everything will be expensive though.  I watched Season 2 on Crunchyroll, I believe they still have free/ad supported accounts as well but I'm not sure.  If you watch enough anime it's totally worth the money though, they have a lot of variety. 
Gredler: spread her legs and push her down to make her more lively<br>***<br>majors: You used to be the great man, this icon we all looked up to and now your just a pico collecting 'tard...oh, how the mighty have fallen...<br>***<br>_joshuaTurbo: Sex, Lies, Rape and Arkhan. A TurboGrafx love story

Gypsy

« Reply #927 on: November 08, 2017, 06:33:43 AM »
Yeah for anyone concerned about having physical releases, check what Aniplex USA has and when the licenses expire.

https://reelrundown.com/animation/Why-Aniplex-Reverting-Anime-Licenses-Back-To-AniplexUSA-or-Aniplex-Japan-Is-Driving-Collectors-Crazy

SignOfZeta

« Reply #928 on: November 08, 2017, 07:20:41 AM »
There’s nothing wrong with the Disney dub of Totoro (although you can sure find people complaining about it online...) its just that the Macek version is better and I was very familiar with it for many years before Disney released theirs.

Why the Macek version is better is, to me, two things.

The songs are sung by a woman who sounds like a kindergarten teacher and the Disney version sounds more “belted out” or kinda Hanna Montana-informed. Pop starish. Loud. I like whatever grandma sang the Fox version more. She understood the quiet nature of the movie better.

The dad has some dialog that makes him sound cooler and this is key since the dad being cool, a gateway between the forest magic and the kids, is absolutely key.

I have no opinion which is more accurate and I don’t care, it’s for the kids. I don’t usually watch translated anime.

The biggest problem with this and all Macek dubs is the sound quality which is muddy and mono which really hurts the sections with more expansive music. I wonder if anyone has the tapes...I would love  I make 5.1 ver of the Macek dub.

TR0N

« Reply #929 on: November 13, 2017, 08:42:12 PM »
I been watching fist of the north star tv series recently the bluray edition.I never got to watch the whole series fully and now i see how ridiculous the show can get.One of the most manly anime to be produce they sure don't make them like this any more.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 08:47:04 PM by TR0N »

PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec