Author Topic: The Anime Thread: Finding Good Anime  (Read 31046 times)

Medic_wheat

Re: The Anime Thread: Finding Good Anime
« Reply #960 on: December 11, 2017, 02:51:40 AM »
You must have been confused as shit by those movies. :)

It’s one of those things where you take the world for what it is. I think I had only seen the movies off toonami due to the popularity Of Gundam series in the mid 90s.

To think of it I don’t believe I have ever heard anyone speak of the Patlabor movies let alone the fact a tv series exist.

xelement5x

« Reply #961 on: December 11, 2017, 04:13:48 AM »
Last night my niece was over so we watched Magnetic Rose, the first part of Memories (1995). Anyone who hasn't seen that should and anyone who hoards old LDs should have this one, it even has English CCs/LD+G.

What a classic, I don't remember seeing Memories until like early 2000s though and didn't realize it came out in 95.  I've got a DVD release of it from years ago.
Gredler: spread her legs and push her down to make her more lively<br>***<br>majors: You used to be the great man, this icon we all looked up to and now your just a pico collecting 'tard...oh, how the mighty have fallen...<br>***<br>_joshuaTurbo: Sex, Lies, Rape and Arkhan. A TurboGrafx love story

Gypsy

« Reply #962 on: December 11, 2017, 05:21:15 AM »
You must have been confused as shit by those movies. :)

It’s one of those things where you take the world for what it is. I think I had only seen the movies off toonami due to the popularity Of Gundam series in the mid 90s.

To think of it I don’t believe I have ever heard anyone speak of the Patlabor movies let alone the fact a tv series exist.

Patlabor is underappreciated imo.

esteban

« Reply #963 on: December 11, 2017, 08:26:55 AM »
Last night my niece was over so we watched Magnetic Rose, the first part of Memories (1995). Anyone who hasn't seen that should and anyone who hoards old LDs should have this one, it even has English CCs/LD+G.

What a classic, I don't remember seeing Memories until like early 2000s though and didn't realize it came out in 95.  I've got a DVD release of it from years ago.

I just added Magnetic Rose to my list...my daughter and I love watching anime.
  |    | 

SignOfZeta

« Reply #964 on: December 11, 2017, 09:31:17 AM »
Magnetic Rose is the first of a three part anthology called Memories that was released theatrically. Since the LD is CAV it consumes three discs so each short has its own jacket with its own artwork which looks completely unique from the others because there are three directors. Normally nobody would ever watch/look for Magnetic Rose by itself, it just turned out that way because we only had an hour and the LD is divided up so well like that. Stink Bomb and Cannon Fodder are the other segments and they are great but Magnetic Rose stands out, particularly if you have the WATTS to blast Maddam Butterfly as loud as possible. The soundtrack is terrific and the surround very absorbing.

Warning: it has a very sad plot element!

Gypsy

« Reply #965 on: December 11, 2017, 09:55:52 AM »
The DVD is pretty cheap. There is a blu but it's region b.

I had a mini-pile of Lupin DVDs arrive today. Almost have all the movies/specials/oavs released in the US now...

esteban

« Reply #966 on: December 11, 2017, 11:43:24 AM »
Magnetic Rose is the first of a three part anthology called Memories that was released theatrically. Since the LD is CAV it consumes three discs so each short has its own jacket with its own artwork which looks completely unique from the others because there are three directors. Normally nobody would ever watch/look for Magnetic Rose by itself, it just turned out that way because we only had an hour and the LD is divided up so well like that. Stink Bomb and Cannon Fodder are the other segments and they are great but Magnetic Rose stands out, particularly if you have the WATTS to blast Maddam Butterfly as loud as possible. The soundtrack is terrific and the surround very absorbing.

Warning: it has a very sad plot element!

I don’t have surround sound, just good old-fashioned receiver with stereo speakers designed for blasting music.

:)

So, yes, we can WATTS.

Also, we can handle the somber and the sads.
  |    | 

Gypsy

« Reply #967 on: December 11, 2017, 02:32:18 PM »
Lupin Green vs Red. I'd put it in the same tier as Mamo. So definitely not the best.

Gonna watch some of the older tv specials tomorrow.

DragonmasterDan

« Reply #968 on: December 12, 2017, 01:32:37 AM »
Lupin Green vs Red. I'd put it in the same tier as Mamo. So definitely not the best.

Green vs Red is just kind of nonsense.

I actually like Mamo quite a bit, it's weird and very 70s.
--DragonmasterDan

Gypsy

« Reply #969 on: December 12, 2017, 01:46:39 AM »

Green vs Red is just kind of nonsense.

I actually like Mamo quite a bit, it's weird and very 70s.

I chalked both up to nonsense. Neither was an enjoyable for me as the average Lupin thing, but I don't exactly hate either of them.

ClodBuster

• A real powerhouse!
    • Cumonreprocarts.com
« Reply #970 on: December 12, 2017, 06:49:14 PM »
I got the first Patlabor movie on Blu-ray, but haven't got around watching it yet.

Some years ago, I grabbed the three theatrical movies of Mobile Suit Gundam on DVD for cheap when they were on sale at the German distributor, as well as the movies F-91 and Char's Counter Attack. So far, I've only seen the first half of the first Gundam movie. I wonder if I should give it another try.

When browsing through the PCE games catalogue, I got intrigued by Bakuretsu Hunters. Turned out this was released as Sorcerer Hunters by ADV USA. Oh, those titties. Did anybody of you watched this yet and could please tell me if this is worth for an old hog that's used to watch hand drawn and cel-colored animation of the 80s to late 90s?

Oh well, I just won the 7-DVD-collection from a UK based seller for around 32 pounds. So I'll let you guys know how it holds up.

(Sorcerer Hunters TV opening)

Yesterday I saw the first episode of the TV-series (contained on DVD 1 to 6).
Reminds me of Slayers and Dragon Half, although not as zany as the latter one. Still good for a laugh. Animation is done well. Chocolate Misu is darn sexy.

Also I saw the beginning of the first OVA-episode (contained on DVD 7).
Both the OVA opening* as well as the first scene (hot springs) include major boobage. Too risky to link a video here.

*censored on Youtube, though, strangely there's one shot of heavy boob jiggle missing that you'll only find on the DVDs.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2017, 11:41:14 PM by ClodBuster »

They tried to make me do a recap
I said no, no, no

nectarsis

« Reply #971 on: December 12, 2017, 07:05:09 PM »
The 08 MS Team is totally enjoyable but also pretty much totally forgettable. Sort of a waste of potential, IMO.

!!!!  DIEEEEE !!!!! lol

I like it because it's the most "realistic" by in large (besides the MA, and you know giant bipedal robots) ;)
My Blogger profile with all my blogs of wonderment:<br><a href="http://www.blogger.com/profile/08066967226239965436" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">http://www.blogger.com/profile/08066967226239965436</a>

Gypsy

« Reply #972 on: December 13, 2017, 12:22:56 AM »
Zeta Gundam is awesome.

SignOfZeta

« Reply #973 on: December 13, 2017, 03:10:01 AM »
Well, everybody knows that.

ClodBuster

• A real powerhouse!
    • Cumonreprocarts.com