Author Topic: The Official Pioneer LaserActive Player thread-  (Read 16863 times)

schweaty

Re: The Official Pioneer LaserActive Player thread-
« Reply #600 on: February 22, 2018, 11:58:49 AM »
It plays Super CDs, the N10 is basically a Turbo Duo in a small and very heavy metal rectangle case.  You will need the Arcade Card for the games that require it.
You will need an arcade card duo.  An arcade card pro will not fit in the slot.  In addition to system card 3.0, It also has the same built in battery save as the duo/super cdrom.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: February 22, 2018, 12:00:48 PM by schweaty »

SignOfZeta

« Reply #601 on: February 22, 2018, 01:44:12 PM »
Wow, I thought you were supposed to plug a Save-kun into it after spending $2000.

gilbert

« Reply #602 on: February 22, 2018, 06:00:27 PM »
Plugging in a Save-kun (which is the same thing as MB128; it was named differently just because it was sold by Koei) won't give you typical backup RAM function though. You could only save with games supporting(or requiring) the MB128, so if the PAC didn't have built-in backup RAM (which it did have) you're screwed up, unable to save in most of the games(and a large portion of the PCE library are RPGs).

As for SG support, IMO they should instead include SG support in the original DUO already, as it was meant to be the ultimate all-in-one system (and signified the death of the core concept as they eventually decided that you didn't need the expansion slot to connect to any other things). They just gave up the SG completely really early, long before even someone would consider making a CD game with SG support.

SignOfZeta

« Reply #603 on: February 23, 2018, 04:29:26 AM »
I was joking. The NEC PAC equipped LA is a Duo, almost exactly, as has been said. It has everything a Duo has, so of course it can save. NEC never made a CDROM2 system that couldn’t save. This isn’t really a thing that has to be explained in such detail.

It can also play CD+G! Because every Duo can...and regular audio CDs...because every Duo can.

And yeah, the SGX was canceled before it was released but got released anyway. They never cared to do anything with it beyond a launch to recover some expenses. The system was %100 dead as hell before any Duo was released let alone the LA. Any additional expense would have driven the cost up on a machine that was already TWICE the price of the competing system...in the name of playing five games nobody bought and don’t look very impressive compared to many CD games. The only real f*ckup with the SGX was its basic conception. NEC killing it as fast as possible with ultimately the right choice. It was a very dumb path they went down.

TaoPaiPai

« Reply #604 on: March 19, 2018, 09:53:31 AM »
I'd like to join the LA club, please.

Picked up a beautiful LaserActive unit from a local seller over the weekend. He even included about 40 LDs (regular movies, not games).
Can't wait to try out the NEC PAC I was lucky to find on the cheap in Japan.

TheClash603

« Reply #605 on: March 19, 2018, 12:20:08 PM »
I'd like to join the LA club, please.

Picked up a beautiful LaserActive unit from a local seller over the weekend. He even included about 40 LDs (regular movies, not games).
Can't wait to try out the NEC PAC I was lucky to find on the cheap in Japan.

What games have you picked up?

xelement5x

« Reply #606 on: March 19, 2018, 03:19:53 PM »
I think he just got movies?  If I could guess of a game that would be included, my prediction would be Pyramid Patrol though :p
Gredler: spread her legs and push her down to make her more lively<br>***<br>majors: You used to be the great man, this icon we all looked up to and now your just a pico collecting 'tard...oh, how the mighty have fallen...<br>***<br>_joshuaTurbo: Sex, Lies, Rape and Arkhan. A TurboGrafx love story

TheClash603

« Reply #607 on: March 20, 2018, 01:07:13 AM »
I think he just got movies?  If I could guess of a game that would be included, my prediction would be Pyramid Patrol though :p

Pyramid Patrol pops everyone's LA cherry.  That game has really been around the block.

TaoPaiPai

« Reply #608 on: March 21, 2018, 05:14:00 AM »
What games have you picked up?

The seller only had a huge LD movie collection and he gave me a bunch of his duplicates.
I found a copy of Hi-Roller Battle for my first LA game, however!

TaoPaiPai

« Reply #609 on: April 02, 2018, 08:22:49 AM »
I connected my XRGB-Mini to my LA with the Sega PAC over the weekend using just straight composite video.

It spit out this really strangely colored image with everything I tried on the PAC.

Strangely, LDs looked perfectly fine. Connecting the composite to the TV directly played perfectly fine and I tried several other consoles on the composite input of the XRGB and they all worked fine.

Anyone seen anything like this before?

Asmikace

« Reply #610 on: April 03, 2018, 09:48:07 AM »
Let me in the club, got the Genesis and TG 16 addons for mine with original controllers.
Does anyone have the JB Harold Blue Chicago Blues game? I just want to know if some has it since I cannot find one.

TheClash603

« Reply #611 on: April 03, 2018, 01:34:18 PM »
Let me in the club, got the Genesis and TG 16 addons for mine with original controllers.
Does anyone have the JB Harold Blue Chicago Blues game? I just want to know if some has it since I cannot find one.

It pops up here and there, I found mine a few years ago.

SuperDeadite

« Reply #612 on: April 03, 2018, 09:46:54 PM »

I have both the MegaLD and LD-ROM2 versions.
Stronger Than Your Average Deadite

xelement5x

« Reply #613 on: April 10, 2018, 04:18:47 PM »
It exists, the US version of Blue Chicago Blues is pretty rare,probably the rarest US release, but I've seen the JP versions show up occasionally.   
Gredler: spread her legs and push her down to make her more lively<br>***<br>majors: You used to be the great man, this icon we all looked up to and now your just a pico collecting 'tard...oh, how the mighty have fallen...<br>***<br>_joshuaTurbo: Sex, Lies, Rape and Arkhan. A TurboGrafx love story

Asmikace

« Reply #614 on: April 13, 2018, 02:24:20 PM »

I have both the MegaLD and LD-ROM2 versions.

I didn't realized they made a LD-ROM2 version. I am also looking for Don Quixote but you have to make sure to get the US release for English.