Author Topic: NPR  (Read 610 times)

GUTS

NPR
« on: September 20, 2005, 12:10:14 AM »
Any of you guys listen to public radio at all?  Since music is pretty much horrible all around these days and there's only one good old rock station in my area I've been listening to NPR quite a bit the last few months.  There are some kickass radio shows on there!  There's an awesome cooking show, an awesome comedy deal they do on saturdays, and tons of interesting news and weird stuff (like an auto mechanic show with 2 old guys who talk like joe peschi, it's rad).  They even have cultural music from around the world on some nights which can range from horrible to super rad (like this nordic sounding guitar stuff they had the other night).

lord_cack

Re: NPR
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2005, 01:02:34 AM »
Quote from: "GUTS"
Any of you guys listen to public radio at all?  Since music is pretty much horrible all around these days and there's only one good old rock station in my area I've been listening to NPR quite a bit the last few months.  There are some kickass radio shows on there!  There's an awesome cooking show, an awesome comedy deal they do on saturdays, and tons of interesting news and weird stuff (like an auto mechanic show with 2 old guys who talk like joe peschi, it's rad).  They even have cultural music from around the world on some nights which can range from horrible to super rad (like this nordic sounding guitar stuff they had the other night).

That radio show with the two guys talking about cars ROCKS...those guys are funny as hell and they give some good unconvetional advice sometimes...at anyrate the stuff they say is good to know....great show and I loev NPR....great programs....(of course I dont get to listen to it much...)
A dark tide will rise and she will walk again. He is coming.....

Keranu

NPR
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2005, 11:59:14 AM »
Out here in the Chicago area, I used to listen to Kevin Mathew's radio talk show which is pretty funny and this hilarious other talk show called Man Cow . To anyone from the Chicago area who knows of Man Cow (Dragon Master Dan!), did you ever see that TV version that used to come on at night? That was hilarious with how they sensored nudity showing the cartoon art of Man Cow's head and have it purposely bouncing away from the nude body part a bit so people could pretty much see it, haha.
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

esteban

NPR
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2005, 12:24:17 PM »
"Car Talk" is the name of the NPR show. There are a bunch of good NPR shows, but on all stations there is a mix of local / regional + national stuff. I like boston NPR best, not sure how NYC vs. LA NPR is concerning the local programming.

But check out the Pacifica radio stations (KPFK, WBAI, etc.) and then there's WFMU if you're in northern NJ.
  |    | 

GUTS

NPR
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2005, 01:22:20 PM »
Haha yeah Car Talk, those guys rule. Michael Feldman's (probably spelled wrong) What Do You Know? is awesome too.   I also dig the news on there since it's pretty interesting, they seem to cover actual important stories instead of the stupid "dog caught in tree!" shit.  Plus they never do that horrible "struggling to pick up the shattered pieces of their lives..." garbage that big news channels do to over hype shit.

doomfarer75

NPR
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2005, 03:42:13 PM »
I have been listening to Public radio for years..VPR here (Vermont Public Radio) has some pretty unique programs...All Things Considered and the Praire Home Companion are some of my Favs:)  sure beats traditionalmedia for news and info...

The next thing you need to investigate is Short Wave Radio...I was turned onto it while overseas in remote regions...came in real handy....:) a good Grundig is all you need.
"Look to your knives now, and 'ware the foeman."- The Doomfarers of Coramonde, by Brian Daley

http://www.brian-daley.com/default.htm
http://www.charlesatlas.com

nodtveidt

NPR
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2005, 04:08:40 PM »
I listened to VPR occasionally when I lived in Vermont...memories...hehehe :D

doomfarer75

NPR
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2005, 12:52:23 AM »
:)
"Look to your knives now, and 'ware the foeman."- The Doomfarers of Coramonde, by Brian Daley

http://www.brian-daley.com/default.htm
http://www.charlesatlas.com