Author Topic: Simple PC-FX utilities...?  (Read 3207 times)

punistation

Simple PC-FX utilities...?
« on: June 04, 2002, 11:58:00 PM »
I don't own a PCFX, but I'd like to get what I can out of an incoming PC-FX game through my Win98 PC.

I know there's no working emulator, but what about utilities?  I found an audio ripper, but I was hoping someone might know of an image viewer, or a movie ripper (if PC-FX games have movie files.  This'll be my first one.)

Are there such programs out there?  Ones that don't require some expensive adapter card?

Kisses XXOOXX
Jen

RURUiNa

Re: Simple PC-FX utilities...?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2002, 05:09:00 AM »
Hey, you're in luck.. there's picture and movie utilities. You can find them at the following URL (in japanese)..

home.highway.ne.jp/soltin/gametool.html

for video, you need to download the movie extractor and batch file (there are specific batch files for each game) which will copy the movie tracks into .mix files on your harddrive. Then you use mixplay to view them or mix2avi to convert them to avi format.

ask away if you need any more help.. i'm sorry that i'm pressed for time now..

-RUiNa

RURUiNa

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2002, 05:11:00 AM »
sorry forgot this one for the mixplay and batch files:

pc-fx.moemoe.gr.jp/mixhokan.html

-RUiNa

punistation

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2002, 10:27:00 AM »
Let's see...

The 1st converts PCFX to MIX, the 2nd is a MIX player, and the 3rd converts MIX to AVI. Sadly, the very 1st one says I need a PCFX-GA... an adapter card I don't have. That pretty much rules out 2 & 3. Tragic...

The 4th appears to be an image viewer. Believe it or not, this was the 1st place I visited for PCFX utilities before coming here. I downloaded the 4th, but when I tried to unzip it, it said the file was corrupted. I was left with nothing.

...but NOW, I download and unzip it again, and it works! What was wrong the first time? Hmmmph.

Oh well, thanks for linking me there again. Your link was the magic touch that made everything better. I guess the website didn't like strangers, but feels better now it knows I'm from here. (that's the only explanation... right?)

Kisses XXOOXX
Jen

P.S. Thanks for the mixhokan link, but the game I'm getting is Tenchi Muyo... which isn't available on the list. Drat! Thanks anyway!  

RURUiNa

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2002, 05:19:00 AM »
Hi,

The video ripping tools and so on do not require the pcfx-ga.. After I sold my first pc-fx I used my plain old PC to keep watching all my pc-fx video files without any trouble at all.. You must've misread or are looking at the wrong tools..

As for Tenchi Muyou, the problem is that that game has no video in it! Well there's an intro but based on the way it looks I'd say its not a .mix file.. so thats why there's no batch..

on a side note about that game.. for anyone that has it on pc-fx, you should try filling up your save-game memory before inserting it in your pc-fx.. This will go to a nice little Washuu OS computer system animation thing where she'll tell you all about the scientific ins and outs for why you can't run the game!

Anime Freak Vol. 3 includes tenchi muyou video and there is a batch file available for this disc as well.

Hope that helps.

-RUiNa

RURUiNa

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2002, 05:20:00 AM »
Hm.. I'm guessing you're a tenchi fan.. If you ever want to discuss tenchi stuff, I'm definitely up for it.. As you can see I know quite a bit about the tenchi content on pc-fx and I know quite a bit about some other rare tenchi stuff..

Pcenginefx

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2002, 08:37:00 AM »
I've ripped video from many FX games with those tools also.  I didn't know about the audio ripper though... Aaron Nanto
Webmaster Pcenginefx.com
www.pcenginefx.com

The ultimate resource for NEC console information!
//Aaron
Owner/Creator of PCENGINEFX.com

punistation

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2002, 07:50:00 PM »
Well, the 1st file on the SOLTIN page (PCFX->MIX) has at the bottom of it's lil' description "PC-FXGA‚Æmixplay.exe‚ª•K—v‚Å‚·", which means "PC-FXGA & mixplay.exe are required".  However, if you say it doesn't need it... well, that's good news indeed.  

(I'm a newbie to the PC-FX, but I'm guessing that MIX files are the movie files, ne?)

As for the audio ripper, I found it in my exploration of Japanese pages for PC-FX goodies.  Without any games yet, I obviously haven't tested it.  If you'd like to have a go, feel free to have a looksie

I'm going away for the long weekend, starting... pretty much now; but I'd love to talk Tenchi Muyo some more.  See you in a few days!

Kisses XXOOXX
Jen

punistation

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2002, 06:38:00 PM »
Woops.  Broken link.  Sorry.

Kisses XXOOXX
Jen

punistation

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2002, 08:29:00 AM »
Yay!  Tenchi Muyo FX finally arrived!    Wai!  Wai!

...now if only I had a PC-FX.

Of course, I'd jump for joy if there were any utilities that could help me grab some goodies from it.  I can't seem to get the PCFX2WAV program to work, but that's not too suprising.  The FXVIEW file would be ideal, but my PC only identifies the game as an audio CD.  I know I'm supposed to use CDdump to make a .CDF file from it, but I can't seem to get it running.  Could someone tell me how to work it?

If this isn't possible, are there any other PC-FX goodies I can use on this game?

Kisses XXOOXX
Jen Edited by: punistation at: 6/10/02 3:34:15 pm

Pcenginefx

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2002, 06:24:00 AM »
Jen,

I plan to mess with it this week, so I will let you know what I find.  I've been wanting to post info about those utilites on Pcenginefx.com for a while now, but I always seem to be busy....

Aaron Nanto
Webmaster Pcenginefx.com
www.pcenginefx.com

The ultimate resource for NEC console information!
//Aaron
Owner/Creator of PCENGINEFX.com

punistation

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2002, 11:36:00 AM »
Thanks for the helping hand, Aaron!  I could use all the help I can get!

(Sniff... it's so unfair.  The PSX has 50 or so nice utilities.  Zophars Domain doesn't even have a PCFX page.  I cry.)

Kisses XXOOXX
Jen

RURUiNa

« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2002, 08:09:00 AM »
The problem is of course that the PC-FX isn't emulated yet. Once that happens (hopefully it does.. for other reasons) we'll end up with a lot of stuff..

The truth is there's a lot of PC-FX stuff hiding about on japanese webpages.. I've found at least 3 homebrew games, another 20 coding demos, and that was only on a cursory search.. Once the emulation happens, a lot of this will make it our way..

I've been trying to get the development software so I can make images of these unreleased softwares to release to everyone.. so far I've only gotten one of the two development discs (and its the one that doesn't have the compiler and cd tools)..

I'm going to make a new post here about something else related to PC-FX emulation..

-RUiNa

punistation

« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2002, 06:51:00 PM »
Alrighty, here's the funny thing:

CDdump is the program included with the Image Viewer FXview.  What it's meant to do is create a CDF file from PCFX CD's.  FXview can open these CDF files, and view the lovely images within.

Sadly, I can't get it to work.  But then, I've mentioned that already.

Now:  I've done a lil' internet scouring, and sought out CDF files & CDdump.  It turns out, CDdump is a LINUX program, not a WINDOWS program.  CDdump is just another CD backup utility, but it's LINUX only.

I thought about partitioning off part of my PC, and setting up LINUX on it... but before I do that, I wanna' put it before you guys.

Has anyone been able to get CDdump to work on their PC?

Kisses XXOOXX
Jen

punistation

« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2002, 07:22:00 PM »
(This message was left blank) Edited by: punistation at: 6/16/02 2:32:04 am