Author Topic: TurboExpress: Debris on LCD Screen?  (Read 190 times)

BigT

TurboExpress: Debris on LCD Screen?
« on: October 30, 2011, 07:52:32 AM »
Hi,

I recently bought a Turboexpress on Ebay for a reasonable price.  The unit plays great (aside from low sound) and an LCD issue:

I don't see any dead pixels and the picture is fine (aside from the normal ghosting), but in the lower left corner there is a small faint gray line present on the LCD screen itself (below the protective plastic screen).  There are no dead pixels.  It looks as if there may be a small scratch, dust, or debris there.  I could not find any description of this on these forums.  Has anyone noticed anything like this before?  I don't have much experience with Turboexpresses.

I've tried to take a picture, but couldn't get it to show up.  I will try again with a better macro lens and with better lighting and I'll post it if I can get a reasonable image.

I'm going to take the unit apart anyway to re-cap.  However, is it easy to take apart the screen and get a look on the LCD surface?  Or would it be a disaster to put back together again?  I was not able to find a guide on how to do this... don't want to embark on a fool's errand  :P

BigT

Re: TurboExpress: Debris on LCD Screen?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2011, 11:43:37 AM »
Here's the best picture that I can get:

The affected area is circled.

BlueBMW

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2011, 12:26:28 PM »
That is strange....

The TE Screen can be disassembled, but be warned it is very delicate inside.  There are ribbon cables on each side of the screen that if damaged will cause you to lose full lines of picture.  IIRC you'll need a soldering iron to disassemble the screen completely because one side of the shell is soldered to ground points on the screen's PCB.
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

nat

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2011, 01:53:46 PM »
That looks like a scratch on the LCD screen itself. If so, there's not going to be much you can do about it short of replacing the screen.

BigT

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2011, 02:44:55 PM »
I wonder how it could get there... manufacturing defect?
The unit does not look like it's ever been opened; screws look to be in mint condition... when I'm less busy, I'll open it up and will take a look.

thesteve

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2011, 06:36:24 PM »
it could be dust between the polarizer and the lcd.
when you separate the front and back of the display the polarizer and diffuser tend to fall out