Author Topic: NES emulator  (Read 3270 times)

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
    • Incessant Negativity Software
Re: NES emulator
« Reply #30 on: November 09, 2011, 01:27:18 AM »
The PCE is easy in comparison to other 6502 based machines (NES, C64). 

So if you can deal with those, the PCE is simple.

But the expectations are higher, apparently. :-/ lol
[Fri 19:34]<nectarsis> been wanting to try that one for awhile now Ope
[Fri 19:33]<Opethian> l;ol huge dong

I'm a max level Forum Warrior.  I'm immortal.
If you're not ready to defend your claims, don't post em.

Black Tiger

« Reply #31 on: November 09, 2011, 03:51:35 PM »
I like just murdering everyone.  It makes you evil and the shop wont sell you stuff, but once you are buff as hell, you can go back out and murder only bad people and get your FORTH back up, and be a good guy!

That's how I used to play Ultima IV, when trying to beat it as fast as possible. :P It was so much faster when you know exactly who to talk to become enlightened with each virtue. :)
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
« Reply #32 on: November 10, 2011, 12:44:34 AM »
I like just murdering everyone.  It makes you evil and the shop wont sell you stuff, but once you are buff as hell, you can go back out and murder only bad people and get your FORTH back up, and be a good guy!

That's how I used to play Ultima IV, when trying to beat it as fast as possible. :P It was so much faster when you know exactly who to talk to become enlightened with each virtue. :)

Ultima 1, I just robbed the weapons shop until I got a blaster or phazor, then stole a reflect suit, and then shot the whole planet :D

It's an interesting bug on Origins part.  They don't check the current game era (time and technology progress as you play/complete tasks) while stealing things.

So even if you're in primitive medieval times, you can steal the space age gear.  It's completely random, so just keep stealing til you get the good shit.

Bonknuts

« Reply #33 on: February 23, 2012, 04:04:27 AM »
I saw this today:

I recently released a SCD version of the newest build for people without flashcards (not the CDDA/red book version) and I guess someone made a cover for it. I recently made a trainer menu for Raiden with fragmare, so got me thinking of why not just including both the hucard and red book versions into a single SCD release. I'll need to get some art assets to make the boot menu (maybe some members from here could contribute; sprites,tiles,images,ideas. It's just the menu screen, but why not make it fun/fancy/whatever). What do you guys think? Again, this is just the boot menu. I'm not hacking the game sprites (though I do have a working build for that, a shame too) as I'm putting that free time into other more important things.

PS: I won't provide links here since per forum rules, but you can find links to the site in my signature.

Bernie

« Reply #34 on: February 23, 2012, 04:39:25 AM »
I saw this today:

I recently released a SCD version of the newest build for people without flashcards (not the CDDA/red book version) and I guess someone made a cover for it. I recently made a trainer menu for Raiden with fragmare, so got me thinking of why not just including both the hucard and red book versions into a single SCD release. I'll need to get some art assets to make the boot menu (maybe some members from here could contribute; sprites,tiles,images,ideas. It's just the menu screen, but why not make it fun/fancy/whatever). What do you guys think? Again, this is just the boot menu. I'm not hacking the game sprites (though I do have a working build for that, a shame too) as I'm putting that free time into other more important things.

PS: I won't provide links here since per forum rules, but you can find links to the site in my signature.

Nice!!!  Do you happen to have images of the covers/inserts or just this pic?
« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 04:42:20 AM by Bernie »

burn_654

« Reply #35 on: February 23, 2012, 07:50:30 AM »
Quote from: RegalSin
You know for that r-tard who goes like "oh something retro, let me put down my vabagelina, stop drinking my cheeze wine, and get to playing".

esteban

« Reply #36 on: February 23, 2012, 08:00:29 AM »

Well, it is a good day to be a PCE enthusiast! 

|    | 

Bonknuts

« Reply #37 on: February 23, 2012, 10:29:19 AM »
Nice!!!  Do you happen to have images of the covers/inserts or just this pic?
Just this pic. And I only found it via a link from the forum is was posted at (that just happen to redirect to my blog). Which is why I'm ask, if pce fans (individuals or the community in general) wants to do something like this. I.e. make a manual, back jewel case insert, etc. That and some other stuffs.

Shrapnoid

« Reply #38 on: February 23, 2012, 11:25:38 AM »
Bonknuts, do you know Vagla, Speh3 or any of those guys? Vagla has done some Mega Man hacks and he, Seph3 and another guy were working on Mega Man Vengeance (The NES homebrew where you play as Bass/Forte).

If you can get in touch with any of these guys, they may be willing to help out on your Megaman to pc-engine port.

I've played it some and you did a great job. I've also noticed that if I change the file extension to .nes on the rom, Tile Layer Pro will display it.
Don't know if any of that matters but, I have a Megaman hack that I've been working with and if I ever find the time to get it done, thought about making it so it would work with your Megaman, especially since yours can run on PC-Engine and NES.

I wanted to try playing around with using the Wily Wars Sprites for enhanced graphics but, due to my vast ignorance and complete lack of coding knowledge, I've been running into some dead ends.

Anyway, just thought I'd run it by you and see if it's okay with you if I try anything like that.
I really would like to see a 16-bit quality graphics version of PC-Engine Megaman.
I'm VERY interested and I still think that doing 4, 5 and 6 would be a great 16-bit style continuation of what Wily Wars was.

Bonknuts

« Reply #39 on: February 23, 2012, 11:44:17 AM »
Bonknuts, do you know Vagla, Speh3 or any of those guys? Vagla has done some Mega Man hacks and he, Seph3 and another guy were working on Mega Man Vengeance (The NES homebrew where you play as Bass/Forte).

If you can get in touch with any of these guys, they may be willing to help out on your Megaman to pc-engine port.

I've played it some and you did a great job. I've also noticed that if I change the file extension to .nes on the rom, Tile Layer Pro will display it.
Don't know if any of that matters but, I have a Megaman hack that I've been working with and if I ever find the time to get it done, thought about making it so it would work with your Megaman, especially since yours can run on PC-Engine and NES.

I wanted to try playing around with using the Wily Wars Sprites for enhanced graphics but, due to my vast ignorance and complete lack of coding knowledge, I've been running into some dead ends.

Anyway, just thought I'd run it by you and see if it's okay with you if I try anything like that.
I really would like to see a 16-bit quality graphics version of PC-Engine Megaman.
I'm VERY interested and I still think that doing 4, 5 and 6 would be a great 16-bit style continuation of what Wily Wars was.

Shrapnoid, no - I don't know those guys. I don't know any Megaman/Rockman hackers. I did upgrade the PCE version for easy sprite enhancement - as if you're still working with the NES system (no PCE experience really needed at all). I'd love to get a community project going for this. If you know any megaman hackers, definitely let them know about this and that I'm interested in helping out in a PCE version hack.

Also yes, the huge majority of the rom is just the NES rom itself. Graphics and all. I didn't replace the any of the game code (music, video, etc). I just emulated it. But I also added emulation enhancement to unused bits of the NES regs. So you could in theory (and I've done in practice) include new graphic assets into the rom and use those instead. The problem is that you need to hack all the meta-sprite and tile stuff of the game engine. I started doing this for all the frame of Megaman himself, but didn't finish editing all the meta tables. An experienced megaman hacker probably knows all these tables or has tools for editing them. I'm definitely willing to add more enhancements to the emulation code if someone were to use it. I'm just not interesting in making my *own* hack of the game and when it comes down to it - no one seems really interested in doing such a hack on the PCE (I've pretty much advertised on RHDN).

Other enhancements I did was add CDDA/redbook support. I could add ADPCM sound FX as well if needed.

Here's a pic of the sprite enhancement in action:

It might not be apparent, but the sprites frames are now all 32x32 cells instead of 8x8 cells. Colors are upgrade too, but only one frame shows it (16 color sprites instead of 3 color NES sprites).

Shrapnoid

« Reply #40 on: February 23, 2012, 02:41:02 PM »

Shrapnoid, no - I don't know those guys. I don't know any Megaman/Rockman hackers. I did upgrade the PCE version for easy sprite enhancement - as if you're still working with the NES system (no PCE experience really needed at all). I'd love to get a community project going for this. If you know any megaman hackers, definitely let them know about this and that I'm interested in helping out in a PCE version hack.

Also yes, the huge majority of the rom is just the NES rom itself. Graphics and all. I didn't replace the any of the game code (music, video, etc). I just emulated it. But I also added emulation enhancement to unused bits of the NES regs. So you could in theory (and I've done in practice) include new graphic assets into the rom and use those instead. The problem is that you need to hack all the meta-sprite and tile stuff of the game engine. I started doing this for all the frame of Megaman himself, but didn't finish editing all the meta tables. An experienced megaman hacker probably knows all these tables or has tools for editing them. I'm definitely willing to add more enhancements to the emulation code if someone were to use it. I'm just not interesting in making my *own* hack of the game and when it comes down to it - no one seems really interested in doing such a hack on the PCE (I've pretty much advertised on RHDN).

Other enhancements I did was add CDDA/redbook support. I could add ADPCM sound FX as well if needed.

Here's a pic of the sprite enhancement in action:

It might not be apparent, but the sprites frames are now all 32x32 cells instead of 8x8 cells. Colors are upgrade too, but only one frame shows it (16 color sprites instead of 3 color NES sprites).

Yes, I see what you mean. Very nice! I'll see what I can do with getting in touch with the guys I told you about and talk to some of the other gifted Megaman/Rockman hackers as well.
I honestly don't see any reason why any of them wouldn't be excited about this project.
If all goes well, this should be an incredible game!
I'll let you know what I find out.

If anyone here is nuts about MegaMan then, PLEASE help Bonknuts with his requests.   

Bonknuts

« Reply #41 on: February 24, 2012, 01:01:38 AM »
Oh crap, I found out more:
http://page9.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/k150484293
http://page9.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/k150680165

No, these are not my auctions.

Pics in case the auctions/links are down:

and

The curious side of me wonders what build he/she's using... >_>

Also, for any future talk for the development of Megaman (manual, insert, intro, boot menu, etc) should be in a new thread specifically for Megaman.

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
« Reply #42 on: February 24, 2012, 01:04:47 AM »
Welcome to the wonderful world of jackf*cks gouging things you work on.

futureman2000

« Reply #43 on: February 24, 2012, 01:10:25 AM »
That sucks. I'll bet Capcom wouldn't like this sale one bit.
Take off yer flip flops and set up the tripod: it's bag kickin' time!

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
« Reply #44 on: February 24, 2012, 01:24:30 AM »
I honestly didn't think Japan had the retard-equivalent of RoyVegas, and the people who buy things he sells for too much.