Author Topic: Should I buy a PC-FX or a Turbo Duo?  (Read 403 times)

TheGreatWrestlerVACANT

Should I buy a PC-FX or a Turbo Duo?
« on: June 22, 2002, 07:16:00 AM »
Hi, It's my first time posting here, and I'm considering purchasing a PC-FX or a Turbo Duo but am not entirely certain which one I should choose.

On the one hand, the PC-FX only has Japanese games which is actually a pro for me as I'm trying to learn Japanese at the moment.  I've heard the PC-FX has really great 2D graphics and plenty of great anime games.  I'm really interested in buying one.

On the other hand, the Turbo Duo has a larger selection of games as well as a greater variety.  The graphics aren't as good as the PC-FX but the Duo has plenty of great games that I've already tried out and liked, and I'm also really interested in buying one.

So the dilemma here is that I really want to buy both consoles but can really only afford one of them, and I have no idea which one to choose.  Can you guys help me out and tell me which one you'd recommend that I buy along with the two games for the console you'd most highly recommend to me.   I'd greatly appreciate it.  Thanks.

RURUiNa

Re: Should I buy a PC-FX or a Turbo Duo?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2002, 06:45:00 AM »
My advice is to go with a turboduo. The PC-FX will have nothing to do with learning japanese. I know. Some years ago I was learning japanese and bought a PC-FX. I didn't have much fun and wondered why the hell it seemed everyone liked the PC-FX. I sold it rather quickly.. Learning japanese is a big undertaking, and for the most part, it'll take you years and years before a japanese videogame will make much sense. As for games without much japanese required, a person with no japanese knowledge can pretty much understand these by using a kana table and dictionary. anyway these games are few and far between.

Later on, when my japanese was good, I bought another PC-FX and have had more fun with it, but still, in all honesty, there aren't too many reasons to own one. I'd probably sell mine again but I'm afraid I'd end up buying one a third time for some other reason. Just as an aside, while learning japanese, the only part of videogames that helped was their manuals. Japanese takes a lot of effort to learn and in my opinion, playing japanese videogames as a method of learning is just plain awful. You wouldn't enjoy the game and you won't learn much, simply. The Dragon Knight 4 intro is like an hour long.. And it'd probably take a beginner (maybe a year of japanese study) about 3 months of part-time work to translate it, and then most of it wouldn't make sense. Japanese videogames are a lot more fun when you understand Japanese but they won't do much to help you learn.

The turboduo has a lot of great games. I'd probably pick this one.. however, I see most of them going for a lot of money and I might actually pick a newer console (PS2 or something) for all the new features, the support, the new games, etc. Anyway thats my 2 cents.

-RUiNa

Pcenginefx

Re: Should I buy a PC-FX or a Turbo Duo?
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2002, 06:18:00 AM »
I agree with RURUiNa on this one.  You will get more enjoyment out of a TurboDuo...plus owning a Turbo will cost you less money than owning a PC-FX.  FX games are almost always more expensive (and a LOT harder to find) than Turbo games, plus you got a good library of US titles to choose from before you even get into the hundreds of great Japanese titles. Aaron Nanto
Webmaster Pcenginefx.com
www.pcenginefx.com

The ultimate resource for NEC console information!
//Aaron
Owner/Creator of PCENGINEFX.com