Author Topic: Core Grafx rgb mod cable options  (Read 407 times)

77FordTruckMan

Core Grafx rgb mod cable options
« on: January 02, 2012, 08:41:49 AM »
I bought my Core Grafx on Ebay and it has an rgb mod and came with a scart cable. I've had it for over a year and have been using the composite video because I am in the U.S and don't have anything with a scart connection. I did buy a scart to component adapter but it did not work. I was thinking about trying another series of adapters to use the vga monitor connection on my tv, but I don't know if that will work either. Is there somewhere I can buy a cable that goes from the PCE connection right to component or vga? The hdmi port on my tv is fried.

Flare65

Re: Core Grafx rgb mod cable options
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2012, 09:34:19 AM »
If you find out, let me know.  I got a RGB modded Duo R that is still using the component hook ups.

HercTNT

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2012, 11:19:47 AM »
What your looking for is one of these:
http://www.jammaboards.com/store/cga/ega/yuv-to-vga-converter-pcb-gbs-8220/prod_291.html
You can also find them on ebay.
you also need one of these
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SCART-RGB-RGBS-cable-RGB-CGA-EGA-YUV-VGA-converter-Genesis-SNES-Sega-/200694228811?pt=Video_Games_Accessories&hash=item2eba4ee74b
and finally you will need a ac adapter to power the converter board. all three of those will allow you to output your rgb modded duo with the scart cable to a modern lcd tv. The converter board is also an upscaler and filter and provides in my opinion excellent video output. the cable that you buy above will also let you hook up your sega genesis, and snes to a modern lcd as well.  The arcade board will auto setup itself. I hope this helps.

77FordTruckMan

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2012, 11:54:57 AM »
Looks good thanks for the help, I just wish I didn't have to spend $70+. Guess I will have to hold off on that for a while, right now all my money is going into my 68 Oldsmobile.

thesteve

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2012, 02:10:44 PM »

77FordTruckMan

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2012, 03:15:34 AM »
I was wondering about that, I will have to try it.

HercTNT

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2012, 12:55:02 PM »
my tv does scale the picture, but only to a degree. the jamma upscaler gives me a full screen picture at a higher quality than just the cable itself. Thats my tv however. Steve is right, its much cheaper just to buy the cable. if your really adventurous, you can go to this site http://mmmonkey.co.uk/  and try to build one yourself.  I have the cable that steve linked and its really well made.

thesteve

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2012, 09:30:20 AM »
that looks like it should work

HercTNT

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2012, 09:16:36 PM »
I did some testing on this earlier today and that cable by itself may not display a picture on your lcd tv at all. I have no idea why, i'm not a technician. I hooked my duo-r up to my lcd tv first using the composite cables, then the scart to vga cable without the scaler, then then scart to vga with the scaler. without the scaler that the cable was built to work with, there was no picture.  Also the scaler does in incredible job of taking the picture and smoothing it out without any loss of detail.  using only the composite cable i can scale the picture full screen if i want to, but it looks like my cat barfed on the screen.  The jamma scaler and scart cable may be expensive, but the picture quality on modern lcd's is excellent. Keep in mind, i'm an amatuer at best, so ultimately steve will know way better than me, just be warned that some cables options may not work were others will. 

77FordTruckMan

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2012, 05:38:09 AM »
It probably won't display on my tv either since it didn't with the component adapter.

77FordTruckMan

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2012, 05:44:52 AM »
that looks like it should work

My only concern is that it does not have that little connector that plugs in on the board.

thesteve

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2012, 01:22:00 PM »
without opening it up and looking i couldnt tell you for sure.
it may be using the +5 off the scaler board for the sync seperator.

even so in can be made to work, possibly with a mod

Duo_R

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2012, 04:16:15 PM »
What box did u buy that didnt work? Unless you build an encoder internally you will have to use a box
Add my YouTube channel: http://youtu.be/sOg93QUtlg0

For sale trade list: http://tinyurl.com/2csm7kq