Author Topic: Double Dragon II  (Read 1354 times)

esteban

Double Dragon II
« Reply #30 on: October 19, 2005, 02:42:32 PM »
Quote from: "Michael Helgeson"
I think this topic should stay at the top of the list here,sorry to pcengine radio or whatever its called.Im more concerned with games to be then music of yesteryear.
Blasphemy! :)
  |    | 

Michael Helgeson

Double Dragon II
« Reply #31 on: October 22, 2005, 06:31:10 AM »
LOL,now its at the top yet again!!! BWAA HA HA HA HA!!!

akamichi

Double Dragon II
« Reply #32 on: October 23, 2005, 02:16:32 AM »
I stumbled onto this site totally by accident just now.
http://www.classicgaming.com/doubledragon/

Compares all the Double Dragon games on every imaginable system.  Check out the Double Dragon 2 page from the Video Games link for some reviews of PCE, MD, and NES versions in particular.

Keranu

Double Dragon II
« Reply #33 on: October 23, 2005, 02:24:22 PM »
Hey thanks for the link, I love it!
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

TR0N

Double Dragon II
« Reply #34 on: November 06, 2005, 10:56:31 PM »
Quote from: "ParanoiaDragon"

Come to think of it, I'm not even sure if Tradewest or Technos are even still around(they probably are, I mean, I recently found out that Telenet is a part of Namco :shock: ).

Technos has been dead for a while now.

Still in the end some good came out of it. Some of people who use to be with, Technos made a new company called, Millon. They did make, RCR EX&Double Dragon Advance for the GBA that Atlus publish.

Pretty much that compeny... now holds the right to those serise.

PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

ParanoiaDragon

Double Dragon II
« Reply #35 on: November 07, 2005, 03:17:32 PM »
We do indeed have planned releases, one of which I can elaborate on, it's a surprise, & it's becoming a bigger project, in otherwords, a real kick arse game.  I'll say it's totally original, no copyrights to worry about, we may end up making official copies as well.  We do also have Mysterious Song, that we're still waiting on the cinemas for.  We've had alot of set back's with our members.  The latest, is Nod has a newborn baby(his first I might add), so obviously, he had more important things to take care of then making games.  That's alot of responsibility.  

Plus, both Lord_Cack & DeveloperX have lost their homes for different reasons, & are trying to get settled into new lives.  We also lost our cinema guy LCPL who just up & disapeared.  We do have Seldane working on tiles now, & Keranu is working on sprites, & me on music, getting things finished for our secret project.  Plus, Neutopia 3 has already started, Seldane might end up being the tile maker for that, since DevX is still kind of MIA for now.  These things take time, we don't want our games to look or feel like hacks.  But we also like to plan ahead of time, & we are always looking to recruit more coders, tile/sprite artists, & we already have atleast 1 back up musician, with myself & Jevax at the helm.  We have big plans, but we also like to bring some of our "plans" to the public, to get opinions to see if people want our plans.

I'm not sure when the cinemas will be ready, Fragmare of Mindrec is now doing the cinemas, & he's good at what he does.  Personally, I'm thinking of remaking music from other Turbo games, just for incase we do any sequals in the future, like, remaking music that wasn't redone in Dungeon Explorer 2, for the prospect of maybe someday making Dungeon Explorer 3, if anyone makes one, or, even if they don't, it'd be cool to do.  Plus I'm always coming up with more ideas for new games, not to mention exsisting games we're working on.

Keranu

Double Dragon II
« Reply #36 on: November 07, 2005, 06:41:53 PM »
Yep, it's mainly just me, PD, and Seldane these days now. We are the super trio!
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

_joshuaTurbo

• Global Moderator
Do the Double
« Reply #37 on: November 15, 2005, 04:31:24 AM »
Double Dragon II on NES and SCD was way better than the arcade ver.

The SCD was really excellent I was alittle dissapointed with the remix'd music not being very much like the NES version, but the final boss fight was perfectly translated to CD from the NES ver.  I loved Double Dragon II on SCD, its a blast to run thru!  The Heli scene was super sized on turbo too, as the NES version was only one screen, while the SCD version had a HUGE Helicopter to go thru!!

some other cool games that were great on both NES and turbo, were Ninja Gaiden, Bomberman, and don't foget about the Bonk ports.... heehee, too bad we never got any Battletoads or TMNT tho.... :(

ONE huge dissapointment when comparing NES to Turbo games is BATMAN,  when I saw that Batman was released on Hucard by Sunsoft I dropped $35US on it and waited for it to arrive at my home.  While it did have some remixed NES tunes on it, it played NOTHING like the NES version.  NES Batman was one of my favorite 8bit games, and I was really hoping a 16bit upgrade would be available, but I was wrong....  poop, the damn game played more like bomberman, total crap.

Anyone doing Turbo projects and adding to the library of killer games we can play, are extremely cool!  And I am greatly thankful for them!!  No matter what type of games they are.
Period!

L8r G8r's

Keranu

Double Dragon II
« Reply #38 on: November 15, 2005, 09:07:41 AM »
Haha, I wish they made the NES version of Batman for PCE also, but I enjoy the puzzle brainer one we got instead. The music is truely rad, is it not? ;)

ParanoiaDragon

Double Dragon II
« Reply #39 on: November 15, 2005, 01:31:39 PM »
Batman, another game I wouldn't mind porting to the Turbo!

akamichi

Double Dragon II
« Reply #40 on: November 16, 2005, 01:32:06 AM »
I believe that NES Batman is the best movie to game translation available up to now. :)  It would be hard to beat IMO, but I'm sure you could find better movie adaptions out there.  

Then again, movie->game adapations didn't get the reputation for being crap for nothing!

A PCE ver of NES Batman would just rock though.

SNKNostalgia

Double Dragon II
« Reply #41 on: November 19, 2005, 11:58:54 PM »
It seems like movie to game ports were a lot better back in the day. Hell even Gremelins 2 was a fun game on NES. Same goes for some others like Robocop 1 NES (Of course the Arcade version is really awesome). Batman is the best of them all though. Sunsoft made some really great games in the early 90's.

Anyway, Double Dragon 2 for SCD is a nice port, it is much more like the arcade version except without the horrible slowdown and it has improved graphics. I just like all 3 versions, they are different.

esteban

Double Dragon II
« Reply #42 on: November 20, 2005, 04:02:26 AM »
OK, I might as well say this (I've been holding back :) ). I just want to go on the record to say that I actually appreciated the Red Book audio tracks in DD2 SCD. So many folks have dissed the soundtrack, but I feel it was for the same reason why folks dissed the R-Type Complete soundtrack (namely, because it was dated, late 80's sounding). While I TOTALLY love DD tunes (especially NES tunes), and I would have loved to hear reworkings of them, I totally get a kick out of the DD2 SCD tunes. Personally, they really help "re-capture" the late 80's, so they add to the game. Sure, some elements of the songs were corny, but so were the late 80's :)

I've discussed my appreciation for the R-type Complete soundtrack elsewhere -- stop the hate, folks :)

rant/
  |    | 

ParanoiaDragon

Double Dragon II
« Reply #43 on: November 20, 2005, 07:19:40 AM »
I love the DD2 soundtrack, except for the 1st level, & I love the entire R-type Complete soundtrack....I didn't know people thought it sucked!?

esteban

Double Dragon II
« Reply #44 on: November 20, 2005, 06:25:31 PM »
Quote from: "ParanoiaDragon"
I love the DD2 soundtrack, except for the 1st level, & I love the entire R-type Complete soundtrack....I didn't know people thought it sucked!?
Yeah, a lot of folks were disappointed by R-Type... we discussed it here not too long ago, but it's been something that comes up frequently among R-Type fans who were hoping the SCD wouold have really killer adaptions of the classic tunes.
  |    |