Author Topic: Double Dragon II  (Read 1353 times)

akamichi

Double Dragon II
« on: October 13, 2005, 12:52:19 AM »
Hi all,

Finally got around to playing some games.  For some reason, all of a sudden I felt the need to play Double Dragon II.  It's probably the best game of its kind on PCE.  Definitely better than Riot Zone.

After all these years, I still like the NES version better than this one.  There's nothing wrong with the PCE version, but Naxat decided to "remix" everything.  The characters don't even look like the typical Technos-style.  It doesn't make the game worse, but I simply prefer the NES/Kunio game/arcade style.

Other than that, I believe the NES and PCE have the same stages.  I think I'll try out the NES and MD versions to fully compare the two.  I think the MD version's graphics are the closest to the arcade.

Well, that's my quick review of Double Dragon II.  Good game to pick up for PCE but nothing particularly special compared to NES.

Keranu

Double Dragon II
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2005, 08:50:37 AM »
I love the PCE version of Double Dragon II. I have to play the NES version again to compare them better, but I would probably think it's better too, but I love the music in the PCE one, along with the cinemas.
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

Michael Helgeson

Double Dragon II
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2005, 02:26:03 PM »
I thought it was a great port too,but honestly i love the arcade more,but the story elements trown in were excellent on Nes,and the Pc ENgine graphics were really nice.
I liked the ninja helecopter stage on Nes too.Seemed this was opted out of the PcEngine,unless it was moved soemwhere and I didnt play far enough into it.
Super Double Dragon was the best for me.

Keranu

Double Dragon II
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2005, 10:52:07 AM »
There is just some kind of law out there where the NES versions are better than the original arcade versions in the NES days. The NES is such a charm.  8)
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

GUTS

Double Dragon II
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2005, 12:35:49 PM »
That's because the NES was so underpowered that the companies actually had to put some effort into adapting the game to the console.  As the gap between arcades and consoles shrunk, so did the creativity in the ports.

Michael Helgeson

Double Dragon II
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2005, 03:43:15 PM »
I actually thought Double Dragon 3 on Nes looked better and played better then on the arcade.Same for Bionic Comando.

Keranu

Double Dragon II
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2005, 06:34:03 PM »
Interestingly enough, the NES ports of arcade games are even better than some other ports to consoles. One that comes to mind is Double Dragon on the Sega Master System. I guess developers tend to enjoy the NES more.

ParanoiaDragon

Double Dragon II
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2005, 09:35:13 PM »
There is a helicoptor stage in the PCE version.  I gotta say I like the PCE version the best IMO.

Black Tiger

Re: Double Dragon II
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2005, 09:05:04 AM »
Quote from: "akamichi"
Hi all,

Finally got around to playing some games.  For some reason, all of a sudden I felt the need to play Double Dragon II.  It's probably the best game of its kind on PCE.  Definitely better than Riot Zone.

Anyone played Warriors Of Fate? If so, is that any good?

If the people who ported Forgotten Worlds for NEC had gotten to port Final Fight as well, it would've featured the strengths of both the Sega/Mega-CD and SNES/SFC games.

There aren't many independant scrolling bg's so flat ones would've been fine and we all know how well the PCE handles piles of sprites.

Yet another 'what could've been'...

Speaking of which, I would've really loved a faithful Double Dragon 1 PCE port.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

ParanoiaDragon

Double Dragon II
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2005, 11:10:17 AM »
I don't doubt that there someday will be a port of the 1st game, along with the first 3 Castlevania's someday.  Not saying it's deffinitly going to happen for sure, but, I can see it happening.

Keranu

Double Dragon II
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2005, 02:22:00 PM »
The first game rules (NES version mainly), a port of that would be nice. Speaking of beat'em up ports, I want to try out that expensive River City Ransom port. Looks like the NES version with a touch-up makeover and killer CD audio.

Black Tiger

Double Dragon II
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2005, 03:32:51 PM »
Quote from: "ParanoiaDragon"
I don't doubt that there someday will be a port of the 1st game, along with the first 3 Castlevania's someday.  Not saying it's deffinitly going to happen for sure, but, I can see it happening.

Yeah, sooner or later, someone will port some game to some platform until you can play anything on anything.

And within a couple decades or so there'll probably be programs that'll convert/program games from one platform to any other.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

ParanoiaDragon

Double Dragon II
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2005, 05:16:42 PM »
When I say someday, I'm saying us(Frozen Utopia) if not some other dev team.  Frankly, redoing Double Dragon should be too hard.  It's not like we'd have to come up with new music, a level design, etc.  We'd just copy the arcade version.  That's why I say it could very possibly happen.  We have so many ideas for projects, that if we get stuck on one, we can just work on another while the other problem is being fixed, which is actually happening right now as I speak, but, I can't say what it is that we're doing, you'll just have to wait, cuz I'm not aloud to divulge about our secret project.

vestcoat

Double Dragon II
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2005, 08:15:06 PM »
Quote from: "Keranu"
There is just some kind of law out there where the NES versions are better than the original arcade versions in the NES days. The NES is such a charm.  8)

I think an exception to that rule would be TMNT 2.
I still had some good times playing the NES version, but it was a big letdown after playing the arcade.

cybersalad

Double Dragon II
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2005, 08:52:09 PM »
I don't get why you guys copy old games.  What's the point?  There's already emulators out there.  And all that's going to happen is you're going to remake an old game, and then get a cease and desist letter from whoever owns the rights, and it will get shut down.

Why not just make your own double-dragon style brawler?