Author Topic: PC Engine color use  (Read 2254 times)

spenoza

PC Engine color use
« on: January 19, 2012, 02:19:16 PM »
OK, so I suspect this post may raise a few hackles, but what the heck, here I go! One of the things our community uses to lord over the MD is the PCE's high on-screen color count. Problem is, a lot of early games didn't make good use of colors. Later CD titles and a few HuCard titles did bust out some nice color use, but I suspect even some of our favorite titles don't really push the color counts. Compare to the Genesis which has actually done some pretty darn impressive things with quite limited color capabilities. Is this related to memory limitations? Is this a lack of artistic vision? What's going on?
<a href="http://www.pcedaisakusen.net/2/34/103/show-collection.htm" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">My meager PC Engine Collection so far.</a><br><a href="https://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">PC Engine Software Bible</a><br><a href="http://www.racketboy.com/forum/" c

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
    • Incessant Negativity Software
Re: PC Engine color use
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2012, 02:25:56 PM »
I think its a matter of skill development.

whether you use 2 colors or you use 15 colors on a sprite, the palettes are still there.  They're just undefined.  Before the PCE though, there weren't exactly any platforms that gave you 16 colors per sprite, and such a wide variety of colors per block for the background.

So, basically, no one knew wtf they were doing...and got better as they progressed.  The PCE did something groundbreaking as far as color goes. 

It's kinda like if you look at early C64 games compared to later ones.  You'll see how people learned and developed skill and stopped making games that looked like shit. (but they still played like shit! :) )
[Fri 19:34]<nectarsis> been wanting to try that one for awhile now Ope
[Fri 19:33]<Opethian> l;ol huge dong

I'm a max level Forum Warrior.  I'm immortal.
If you're not ready to defend your claims, don't post em.

SignOfZeta

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2012, 02:27:53 PM »
I'd guess it's a matter of picking better colors.

RegalSin

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2012, 02:44:22 PM »
Many of the games were ported from the Arcade systems. Since the Arcade systems were all using limited color space to begin with, that is what you got with games.

SEGA on the other hand, was moving towards the future, while the PCE was just made to imitate animation data. The SEGA-CD is basically a pre-DVD game machine. The PCE outlasted the Sega Saturn, only after the N64 came about PCE was on the short end of the stick.

That is probably why SEGA decided to favor NEC, because everybody knew the saw it as a second PCE, even if it was censored as hell. This could also explain Hudson Soft, and red making so many Saturn titles.

This brings us back, why didn't SEGA just implemented support for the Hu-cards on the Saturn. Another swing and miss.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 02:47:44 PM by RegalSin »

spenoza

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2012, 07:06:40 PM »
RegalSin, that post made no sense whatsoever. That your sentences use English words does not mean you are actually communicating in English.
<a href="http://www.pcedaisakusen.net/2/34/103/show-collection.htm" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">My meager PC Engine Collection so far.</a><br><a href="https://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">PC Engine Software Bible</a><br><a href="http://www.racketboy.com/forum/" c

Tatsujin

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2012, 08:05:31 PM »
Lol, nothing new there.
www.pcedaisakusen.net
the home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games coundown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^

fragmare

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2012, 09:09:59 PM »
OK, so I suspect this post may raise a few hackles, but what the heck, here I go! One of the things our community uses to lord over the MD is the PCE's high on-screen color count. Problem is, a lot of early games didn't make good use of colors. Later CD titles and a few HuCard titles did bust out some nice color use, but I suspect even some of our favorite titles don't really push the color counts. Compare to the Genesis which has actually done some pretty darn impressive things with quite limited color capabilities. Is this related to memory limitations? Is this a lack of artistic vision? What's going on?

Yea man, when the PCE initially came out, artists were still in "8-bit graphics" mode, for the most part, and were still figuring out what they could and couldn't do with the PCE's (at the time) huge global palette and monstrous palette handling capabilities.  That's why a lot of early games looked like ass.  As for games using all (or nearly all) of the 482 on-screen colors the system could produce, that's not really practical for a game.  You could technically make a game that used 482 out of 512 colors, but that doesn't mean you should.  It would look like a trainwreck at a gay pride parade lol.  The beautiful thing about the PCE is that, as an artist, you don't really have to worry much (or at all) about conserving/combining palettes.  There's 16 unique palettes available for sprites and another 16 available for tiles.  That's MONSTROUS, even compared to the SNES.

Many of the games were ported from the Arcade systems. Since the Arcade systems were all using limited color space to begin with, that is what you got with games.

SEGA on the other hand, was moving towards the future, while the PCE was just made to imitate animation data. The SEGA-CD is basically a pre-DVD game machine. The PCE outlasted the Sega Saturn, only after the N64 came about PCE was on the short end of the stick.

That is probably why SEGA decided to favor NEC, because everybody knew the saw it as a second PCE, even if it was censored as hell. This could also explain Hudson Soft, and red making so many Saturn titles.

This brings us back, why didn't SEGA just implemented support for the Hu-cards on the Saturn. Another swing and miss.

what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul

Bernie

• Facebook URL
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2012, 11:46:43 PM »
He is a moron, a total village idiot.  However, he is out village idiot....  Poor little feller.

soop

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2012, 12:22:24 AM »
I have to say, I think there are a lot of games that made really bad colour choices.  In fact, you can kind of see on PCEnine.co.uk, in comparison with arcade originals or in fact, any other version, the PCE is generally TOO bright.  Sometimes it can mar the aura of a game.  The same (well the opposite) with the Amiga.  The reds were often very rust coloured and the colours seemed washed out.

I can't say the same for the Megadrive or the SNES.  No idea why - maybe it's something to do with the PCEs superior AV output?  Nah, that can't be true, screenshots were taken under emulation...

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2012, 12:51:52 AM »
what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul

Aww he's the puppy who lost his way.

SOCIETY.

ccovell

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2012, 01:18:15 AM »
Yea man, when the PCE initially came out, artists were still in "8-bit graphics" mode, for the most part...

Not just that, Hudson's main graphics compression routine for a lot of games worked with 3 bitplanes only (8 colours per tile) rather than the full 4 bitplanes!  That helped give a lot of Turbo games a low-colour, dithery look in the beginning.

Thank goodness for developers like FACE, Arc, Atlus, NCS, that helped push the per-tile colour counts farther.

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2012, 01:27:07 AM »
Admittedly, some of the early dithered looking stuff looks kind of charming.

(China Warrior)

and some of the stuff that just uses a weird shading style, like Vigilante.

nectarsis

« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2012, 02:34:10 AM »

Okay, a simple "wrong" would've done just fine.   :wink: :lol: :lol:
My Blogger profile with all my blogs of wonderment:<br><a href="http://www.blogger.com/profile/08066967226239965436" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">http://www.blogger.com/profile/08066967226239965436</a>

fragmare

« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2012, 03:38:08 AM »
I have to say, I think there are a lot of games that made really bad colour choices.  In fact, you can kind of see on PCEnine.co.uk, in comparison with arcade originals or in fact, any other version, the PCE is generally TOO bright.  Sometimes it can mar the aura of a game.  The same (well the opposite) with the Amiga.  The reds were often very rust coloured and the colours seemed washed out.

I can't say the same for the Megadrive or the SNES.  No idea why - maybe it's something to do with the PCEs superior AV output?  Nah, that can't be true, screenshots were taken under emulation...

The PCE/TG16 and the MD/Genesis used the exact same global palette.  That is 9-bit (512 colors).  Where as many games on the Genesis had to be reduced in their colors, due to the 4 palette on-screen limit, and looked washed out and/or dithered because of it, The TG16 did not have such limitations.  Sometimes TG16 artists were probably a bit guilty of going a little overboard with their choices of color saturation/brightness... likely due to a combination of feeling out the hardware limits and getting a little overly excited about their newfound color freedom.  As for the A/V and RF output quality of both machines, I really don't know anything about that.  Didn't the Genesis have some infamously bad chroma encoder or something like that?

On a side note, i think NEC foresaw the need for a lot of palettes in doing arcade conversions with only one background layer on the PCE.  If you simply paste one parallax layer on top of another and have them scroll as one single layer, you'll need at least one palette for both layers, plus several palettes for where the two layers meet up.  Makes sense to me, as an artist anyway.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2012, 03:42:59 AM by fragmare »

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2012, 03:47:44 AM »
Emerald Dragon is one instance where the colors are like WHOOOO BRIGHT! :)

but its a good thing.