Author Topic: Playing Gameboy games on the DS??  (Read 914 times)

ParanoiaDragon

Playing Gameboy games on the DS??
« on: October 17, 2005, 10:18:46 PM »
This might sound like a dumb question, but, has anyone tried altering there DS to see if GB or GBC games will work in the GBA slot?  I get tired of brining my DS somewhere, & remembering that I can't play my old games on it.

GUTS

« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2005, 11:29:58 PM »
The way I understand it is that the DS doesn't have the necessary chip for GBC compatibility, they left it out to save cost.  The only reason it plays GBA games (from the articles I've read) is because one of the chips the DS uses is the same as the main processor of the GBA or something like that, so they included GBA compatibility as a great selling point that wouldn't cost them much.

cybersalad

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2005, 06:03:00 AM »
I dunno, a friend of mine told me he got a GBC game to run by copying it to a GBA flash cart and using that in the DS.  I haven't verified this though.

ParanoiaDragon

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2005, 08:16:29 AM »
Quote from: "GUTS"
The way I understand it is that the DS doesn't have the necessary chip for GBC compatibility, they left it out to save cost.  The only reason it plays GBA games (from the articles I've read) is because one of the chips the DS uses is the same as the main processor of the GBA or something like that, so they included GBA compatibility as a great selling point that wouldn't cost them much.

This is pretty much what I figured.  I didn't have real high hopes for being able to play GBC, but I would like to get a confirmation on that GBA flash card with GBC games on it.  And ultimatly, I'd like to hear from somebody who's been brave enough to alter there DS in some way to be able to fit GB & GBC games in it.  I was brave enough to open mine up(for me, it took alot of bravery) but the little tabs or whatever that stop you from inserting a GB game all the way, & are too darn small, & I couldn't find anything at the time to break them off with.  I was assuming it would be easy enough, like breaking the tabs in a SNES to play SFC games.  But that compartment is so small, I just don't like like I have enough room, & I'll end up busting the GBA portion of the DS.......or, the DS all together!

GUTS

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2005, 08:53:11 AM »
You could just remove the pcb from a GBC cartridge and cram it in there, without the plastic cartridge casing it should fit fine and answer your questions toot sweet.

ParanoiaDragon

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2005, 02:04:44 PM »
Hmm, didn't think of that, I'll have to find the right screw bit for it though.  Anyone know a good place to find a screw bit for GBC cartridges?

GUTS

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2005, 04:20:59 PM »
You can heat up the tip of a ball point pen (without the ink cartridge in it, of course) then press it over the screw heads until it hardens, that worked for me way back before I knew you could buy them on ebay.

Keranu

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2005, 06:58:10 PM »
I was pissed off when I first heard the DS couldn't play Gameboy or Gameboy Color games since I knew it could play Gameboy Advance games.
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

ParanoiaDragon

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2005, 07:30:41 PM »
Quote from: "GUTS"
You can heat up the tip of a ball point pen (without the ink cartridge in it, of course) then press it over the screw heads until it hardens, that worked for me way back before I knew you could buy them on ebay.

Too late, I bought some on ebay.  I got a 3.8mm, 4.5mm, & a Triwing.  Though, I found that you don't always need a Triwing, which is what my DS has, I opened it up just fine, by finding just the right philips :D

FM-77

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2005, 11:28:37 PM »
There is only one way to play GB/GBC games on the DS.

Get a GBA flash cart, put some GB/GBC games on it, and install the GBA-GBC emulator on the flash cart. Run the emulator via your DS and voila! You're playing GB/GBC games.

ParanoiaDragon

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2005, 11:45:09 AM »
I might just end up doing that!

Ninja Spirit

« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2005, 04:45:32 PM »
Perhaps they should make an adapter for GB/GBC games for DS.

ParanoiaDragon

« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2005, 05:58:54 PM »
I'm sure somebody will, if Nintendo never does.  BTW, where's the best place to get a GBA flash cart???

Keranu

« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2005, 07:33:49 PM »
That sounds like something Nintendo will end up releasing :P .
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

Keranu

« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2005, 07:34:40 PM »
Speaking of which... there IS a headphone port on the DS, right?