Author Topic: "Plays Well With Others" poll  (Read 1267 times)

Sadler

Re: "Plays Well Together" poll
« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2012, 02:35:50 AM »
I, uh, sorta misunderstood this thread. LoX2 is what I voted for, and it is probably the easiest game for non-english speakers in the list, but I'd rather play through LoX1 so we can help each other. How can I change my vote?

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
    • Incessant Negativity Software
« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2012, 03:04:29 AM »
oh.  I didnt read that thread I guess lol
[Fri 19:34]<nectarsis> been wanting to try that one for awhile now Ope
[Fri 19:33]<Opethian> l;ol huge dong

I'm a max level Forum Warrior.  I'm immortal.
If you're not ready to defend your claims, don't post em.

Senshi

« Reply #32 on: January 31, 2012, 05:46:34 AM »
Feasably, I think it should start tomorrow.  Tuesday with nothing better to do, plus we can set aside a clear month and do another in March if it's popular.

Not sure how to resolve a tie-break though - another poll with just the two winners?

That seems like a good idea.
PSN: Dynastic_Hero
Steam: Dynastic_Hero

SignOfZeta

« Reply #33 on: January 31, 2012, 12:09:22 PM »
f*cking hell. Now it's a three way tie.

Sadler

« Reply #34 on: January 31, 2012, 12:44:43 PM »
f*cking hell. Now it's a three way tie.

No it isn't. My LoX2 vote is a vote for LoX1. We're doing LoX1 and it's going to kick ass. :D Now let's get started already before someone else votes. :D

SignOfZeta

« Reply #35 on: January 31, 2012, 02:22:57 PM »
Run Button started this thread. It's up to him to end it.

nectarsis

« Reply #36 on: January 31, 2012, 02:33:21 PM »
Not to be a downer on this.  I LOVE (what I played of) Legend of Xanadu.....but in my years here I can honestly think of 3 people off the top of head that beat this...runin, bluraven, and IIRC nat.  I'm sure there are others, but this game is LONG, and pretty hardcore.....just my 2 cents.
My Blogger profile with all my blogs of wonderment:<br><a href="http://www.blogger.com/profile/08066967226239965436" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">http://www.blogger.com/profile/08066967226239965436</a>

PUSH RUN BUTTON!

« Reply #37 on: January 31, 2012, 02:39:16 PM »
Well, we've got a good three way tie going on here. So I think letting the poll run through Friday would be a good way to see a winner come out of this. I really appreciate the interest and enthusiasm from everyone! Regardless of the game we pick, I think this is going to be a awesome.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2012, 11:45:55 PM by PUSH RUN BUTTON! »
Check out PUSHRUNBUTTON.COM!

Sadler

« Reply #38 on: January 31, 2012, 02:41:28 PM »
From what I've read it appears that the day/night cycle makes things a pain in the ass. My hope is that a group of us playing though it would be able to help each other get through it. But it might be too much to bite off, and like you guys said, it isn't my choice. :)

SignOfZeta

« Reply #39 on: January 31, 2012, 08:21:04 PM »
Not to be a downer on this.  I LOVE (what I played of) Legend of Xanadu.....but in my years here I can honestly think of 3 people off the top of head that beat this...runin, bluraven, and IIRC nat.  I'm sure there are others, but this game is LONG, and pretty hardcore.....just my 2 cents.

I agree. That's why I pushed for Kabuki Den or Tengai II (or CF 3/4, Poem of the Angel 2, Emerald Dragon, anything from Rayforce, etc). We WILL beat Kabuki Den with normal levels of determination. Someone is going to flake on Xanadu, possibly everyone. The point of this venture, I think, is to beat games we've had sitting on a shelf for years. Therefore I highly recommend something as gaijin-friendly as possible.

For the record I can read very very little Japanese. I've been playing import RPGs since 1994 or so. Some I finish, some are still sitting on the shelf after 10+ years. I know about success, I know about failure. Xanadu 1 feels like failure. Regardless, I will begin whatever we decide to begin.

Black Tiger

« Reply #40 on: February 01, 2012, 12:34:09 AM »
From what I've read it appears that the day/night cycle makes things a pain in the ass. My hope is that a group of us playing though it would be able to help each other get through it. But it might be too much to bite off, and like you guys said, it isn't my choice. :)

The night/day cycle is only one variable in the strongest gaijin protection I've ever encountered in a JPRG. A single chapter's number of specific required actions is equal to the total number of actions required to complete some entire games. I can comfortably play through most JRPGs without a guide, but I got stuck regularly in LoX while using a translated guide.

I think that this "plays well together" idea is a perfect way to take down a game like LoX down the road. But it will literally probably be the hardest game to get through even as a group, as others will have a hard time understanding exactly which point you are at in a chapter and exactly what they had to do in the correct order.

If everyone is fine with the prospect of attempting Xanadu, having a number of people quite along the way, everyone waiting the longer than average time it will take even the fastest player to complete... and then try again with a different game once you hear that the rest of the players have finally either finished or given up... then go right ahead. But just the downtime between players struggling with the game vs those who managed to get through will be enough to play through multiple other PCE JRPGs and would make the "plays well together" experience seem less enjoyable for some people.

At the very least, playing through games that everyone is guaranteed to complete would be good training for those who are going to have the hardest time with LoX.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

shubibiman

« Reply #41 on: February 01, 2012, 01:26:04 AM »

I've cleared it too :)
Self proclamed Aldynes World Champion

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #42 on: February 01, 2012, 02:24:51 AM »
Since you guys think Xanadu is too hard to start out on, change my vote to Kabuki Den or whatever.  I'd hate to have this fall flat on its face before we even finish one title.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

incrediblehark

« Reply #43 on: February 01, 2012, 05:45:41 AM »
I'll play whatever, I'll probably be the slowest though :P

SignOfZeta

« Reply #44 on: February 02, 2012, 07:32:21 AM »
I'm bumping this sucker because we need a tie breaker, hopefully tonight. I'd love to start on this (whatever) game tomorrow.