Author Topic: Pyramid Plunder Public Beta  (Read 5053 times)

ParanoiaDragon

Re: Pyramid Plunder Public Beta
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2012, 03:12:53 PM »
Seems like he always pops up whenever I hold I during the loading & Title screens.  Haven't tested it further to see if it's only during the loading, or only during the Title screen, but he pops up every time for me.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 03:31:01 PM by ParanoiaDragon »

TheOldMan

« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2012, 03:25:47 PM »
Here's a screenshot the first time I encountered the bug. I believe it happened out of no where.
Thank You. Now for some explanation of what you see....

The leftmost number is the ghost id. It happens on both ghost 1 (Blinky, I think) and 0 (Inky), so it is not
something ghost specific....
The next number is the tile value (024c). Note that it happens on the same tile both times.
The next two numbers are the tile coordinates (on the big map). So the ghosts are trying to walk through
the wall at 17,10. That happens to be the right side of the ghost house.

So the working theory (and glad you contributed evidence to it) is that there is a problem when the ghosts go to spawn. I suspect it has something to do with the ghost house being only 2 squares wide (Hey, I didn't make the boards) causing problems when a reverse event occurs....
The only other report I've had of this was on 2-4, where the ghost house is 2 squares wide, also.
Okay, we have a start. I will put in a full debug screen, so we can see everything I need next week.  In the mean time, see if you can repeat it with a particular pattern. If we can do that, I can get it fixed for good :)
Look for a newer release later in the week, at aetherbyte.

[For those who are interested, ghosts going through walls due to reversals has been a long-standing problem in the game. It's a large part of why it's not out yet :)]

Vecanti

« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2012, 05:50:53 PM »
Suck!  I haven't had it freeze once.  Guess I'm not going to win the free copy.  This has sucked hours from my life.  Haven't found any bugs yet.

Only thought is that the you have to get really close to the edge of the screen before it starts scrolling so you can't tell whats coming.  Get's my heart rate up!  Maybe an easy mode so it scrolls sooner? :)  Keeps it exciting though! (i know there's a map) 

touko

« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2012, 07:07:45 PM »
Eh i like it ..

This pac-man remake has great ideas, like run,teleport and radar, and i was surprised by sfx  :wink: ..
However the in game music is too reptitive i think ..

I applaud the big effort to renew the genre, which (with sound fx) is for me the great part .. :clap:
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 06:03:28 AM by touko »

Keranu

« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2012, 07:32:29 PM »
However the in game music is too reptitive i think ..
I like the song, but I was wondering if there were plans to add new songs for each level to reduce the repetition. At least you can turn the music off with the select button.
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

touko

« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2012, 07:40:17 PM »
Yes, but I prefer by far the insanity, or atlantean in game musics, more likely to show the squirrel capabilities .
« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 07:50:45 PM by touko »

Vecanti

« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2012, 08:00:12 PM »
brb gonna print up some awesome arwork and spine cards and sell on YJA... erm I mean thanks!

http://pcedev.wordpress.com/2012/02/24/megaman-complete-casemanualgame/#comments

Somebody just did that to Megaman SCD that was release like a week ago. :(

grahf

« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2012, 08:03:06 PM »
Sweet. I gotta pick up some CD-Rs. I don't think I own any anymore.

I was thinking about ordering Insanity, but I might hold off until this is released - if it will save on shipping that is.

nodtveidt

« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2012, 04:09:55 AM »
Got a few pretty big gripes with this.

1. I'm not entertained. :( It's interesting at first but because the levels are so big, it gets redundant. Fast. Smaller maps would help a lot. I had to shut it off after the second level.
2. Scrolling thresholds are too wide. This is the same problem Exile II has.
3. Music gets irritating quickly.
4. No pause button.
5. The sprites aren't very impressive-looking.
6. The "teleport" detail looks amateurish. It would look better if you did some kind of melt-and-vanish effect rather than just having the screen scroll.

On the positive side:

1. The backgrounds are nice. The tilework is pretty damn good.
2. The sound effects are good. I don't think I heard them all though (never died).
3. The ability to run in the game is a very nice touch. Gives ya an additional sense of strategy.
4. The control scheme works beautifully. Y'all got that one spot-on.

esteban

« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2012, 05:29:23 AM »
OK, who is willing to send me a copy so Rover isn't the only one with a constructive critique .

I'll be playing it on many hardware configurations TG-16+TG-CD, US DUO, JP DUO, CG+SCD.

I'll pay for shipping/materials.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2012, 05:32:24 AM by esteban »
  |    | 

roflmao

« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2012, 05:58:07 AM »
OK, who is willing to send me a copy so Rover isn't the only one with a constructive critique .

I'll mail you a copy.  PM me your address and I'll try to get it out tomorrow.

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
    • Incessant Negativity Software
« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2012, 07:18:37 AM »
I guess I could make the ghost houses bigger and see if it fixes things, lol.

1. I'm not entertained. :( It's interesting at first but because the levels are so big, it gets redundant. Fast. Smaller maps would help a lot. I had to shut it off after the second level.
If you aren't entertained by the concept of Pac Man, this won't help you either.

3. Music gets irritating quickly.
It's a beta.  There are going to be more songs to mix it up, lol.  Wouldn't be very useful to release a beta with the entire soundtrack!

4. No pause button.
It's coming.  Fixing the crashbug has to be done before any other things get added.

5. The sprites aren't very impressive-looking.
Aw, I thought Keranu did a good job on the stuff.  I drew the hero-guy, and the mummies though.  The mummies are kinda special looking.

6. The "teleport" detail looks amateurish. It would look better if you did some kind of melt-and-vanish effect rather than just having the screen scroll.
Another detail to be worked out after the crashbug.  I anticipate blinking him and scrolling him over, faster. 

Freezing the enemies while scrolling is a definite no-go.  That's part of the gamble of teleporting.
[Fri 19:34]<nectarsis> been wanting to try that one for awhile now Ope
[Fri 19:33]<Opethian> l;ol huge dong

I'm a max level Forum Warrior.  I'm immortal.
If you're not ready to defend your claims, don't post em.

Keranu

« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2012, 08:05:14 AM »
Yeah I only designed the enemy sprites from level 2 and up. I was thinking though Arkhan, I can touch up on your player and mummy animations if you want so they don't look so "waggily" when they move. You know, like I did for Insanity X.
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

esteban

« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2012, 08:20:29 AM »

I'll mail you a copy.  PM me your address and I'll try to get it out tomorrow.

You rock . PM forthcoming.
  |    | 

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
    • Incessant Negativity Software
« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2012, 08:58:37 AM »
Yeah I only designed the enemy sprites from level 2 and up. I was thinking though Arkhan, I can touch up on your player and mummy animations if you want so they don't look so "waggily" when they move. You know, like I did for Insanity X.

if you want to, lol.

I'm pretty shitty at animating.
[Fri 19:34]<nectarsis> been wanting to try that one for awhile now Ope
[Fri 19:33]<Opethian> l;ol huge dong

I'm a max level Forum Warrior.  I'm immortal.
If you're not ready to defend your claims, don't post em.