Author Topic: Finally got my Duo, and started playing Dragon Slayer!  (Read 2191 times)

tpivette

Finally got my Duo, and started playing Dragon Slayer!
« on: March 19, 2012, 02:38:42 PM »
So my PC Engine Duo arrived today from Japan... looks great! Hooked everything up and popped in my US copy of Dragon Slayer. I've always wanted to play this game ever since I saw it previewed on the Turbo Duo promo VHS tape I sent away for when I was a kid, so my excitement was high. Watched he opening scenes and all the memories came flooding back.

At first, the monsters were quite easy, but once I left Revere and crossed the bridge heading towards The Pits, the foes became very difficult! Its gonna take some time to save up for the Wolf equipment! Anyway, just wanted to share my excitement about finally getting a Duo and being able to play this game. More CD/Super CD RPGs will be in my future
Original owner of a TG-16 since 1989!

CURRENTLY PLAYING:
Vita - Conception 2
PS3 - Tales of Graces f
Wii U - Monster Hunter 3 Ulltimate

ParanoiaDragon

Re: Finally got my Duo, and started playing Dragon Slayer!
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2012, 03:54:28 PM »
To this day, this is one of my favorite all time games!  It might not be the longest RPG in the world, but it's damn fun! 

Keranu

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2012, 04:12:21 PM »
To this day, this is one of my favorite all time games!  It might not be the longest RPG in the world, but it's damn fun! 
I wouldn't want it to be any longer than it already is! I think I'll replay Dragon Slayer this summer.
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

BigusSchmuck

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2012, 04:42:30 PM »
Damn shame we never saw the sequel make it here to U.S shores. Then again, if someone were to do a fan translation of it I wouldn't be opposed to that even if I had to wait a while for it...

motdelbourt

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2012, 04:52:23 PM »
I liked the voices in that one. There are scores of Legend of Heroes games apparently.

incrediblehark

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2012, 04:57:34 PM »
Legend Of Heroes is a lot of fun! I really enjoy Falcom games

Black Tiger

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2012, 04:58:58 PM »
Dragon Slayer has aged much better than the average RPG for my tastes. Worth owning even just for the soundtrack if you're the type who absolutely refuses to play RPGs.

Wait as long as possible to cash in your lottery ticket to get the biggest reward. :)
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

tpivette

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2012, 01:07:35 AM »
Stayed up til 11pm playing last night, finished the 1st chapter. This game rules, definitely a great RPG. I've heard this one is short, tho, that's kind of disappointing. Oh well, I've got Cosmic Fantasy 2 as a backup if I finish Dragon Slayer quickly
Original owner of a TG-16 since 1989!

CURRENTLY PLAYING:
Vita - Conception 2
PS3 - Tales of Graces f
Wii U - Monster Hunter 3 Ulltimate

Bernie

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2012, 01:24:53 AM »
You will love the game.  Prepare for some level grinding towards the end tho.  :) 

DragonmasterDan

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2012, 02:38:22 AM »
Are you enjoying the dub?
--DragonmasterDan

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2012, 03:23:15 AM »
'Tis a great game.  I wish its cinemas were lengthy and plentiful like in other Falcom games, but it's still a lot of fun and full of silliness.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

Black Tiger

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2012, 12:52:09 PM »
Are you enjoying the dub?

It's on par with Snatcher Sega-CD.

Dragon Slayer isn't short, it just isn't longer than it needs to be. The battle system works fantasticly and isn't tedius or full of filler like pop RPGs. So the time it takes to finish the game reflects actual gameplay much more than many other games.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

Keranu

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2012, 12:59:35 PM »
I don't like having to play RPGs for hours and hours on end, unless it can actually keep me interested and motivated enough the entire time. Better to keep it short and sweet than long and dragged out. More than 30 hours is too much for me, 10-25 hours is ideal.
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

Bernie

« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2012, 01:16:47 PM »
I don't like having to play RPGs for hours and hours on end, unless it can actually keep me interested and motivated enough the entire time. Better to keep it short and sweet than long and dragged out. More than 30 hours is too much for me, 10-25 hours is ideal.

Really?  Man, I love it.  I guess if there is NOTHING left to gain, then I wouldnt care too much.  Howeve, I've always loved level grinding, to get something out of it in the end.  Such as optional hard as shit dungeon, or other optional things in a game.  Final Fantasy X comes to mind here.  I know its apples and oranges tho.  lol. 

ParanoiaDragon

« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2012, 07:43:04 PM »
This game takes me about 10 hours level grinding to 99.  In a way, that's short to me, but it's fun the whole way, just like how Ys games tend to be.  They may not be the longest games(not even the newer ones) but they're fun thru the whole experience.

As for more Legend of Heroes games, there are more, but they aren't part of the Dragon Slayer series.  Legend of Heroes 3-5 are the Gagharv Trilogy.  You can get all three(renumbered so that they are LOH 1-3) on PSP, but....the translation is horrible, & Bandai apparently messed around with the original battle system & made it kinda boring.  I still enjoy them regardless of this, but I can tell they were originally MUCH better games.

There's also Legend of Heroes 6, known over here as Trails in the Sky for PSP.  That game, is near perfect.  It's VERY well written & VERY well translated, & it was originally ported to the PSP by Falcom themselves, rather then Bandai, so it's just really well done over all.  Only problem is, the 2nd game in the Trails trilogy is massive, so it's taking forever & a day to translate.  Plus, when Falcom originally ported Trails 2 to the PSP, it was on 2 UMD's, so that when you get to near the end of the game, you have to switch back to the first UMD(the game is huge), & they haven't been able to get it up on PSN because of this, which means less sales(especially for those with a Vita would want to play PSP games).  So, Xseed is basically just waiting for Falcom to have some spare time(months perhaps?) to re-code it so it can be put up on PSN.  I'm still keeping the faith that somehow it will be released for PSP eventually.  Even if it's in limited number of UMD's.  OR, there's been the talk of possibly putting it on Steam, but, I'd prefer PSP myself.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 07:23:43 AM by ParanoiaDragon »