Author Topic: "Sharp x1 PC ENGINE"  (Read 440 times)

kakutolives

"Sharp x1 PC ENGINE"
« on: March 20, 2012, 08:46:27 PM »
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SHARP-X1-TWIN-CZ-830C-COMPUTER-NEC-PC-ENGINE-ACCESSORIES-BOXED-/320869636641?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4ab5521a21#ht_12375wt_1185

anybody else seen this monster? thought it was pretty cool I have never heard of this combination either.
Good Sellers (in my experience)
Samurai Ghost, Keith Courage, Bernie, tggodfrey, bartre (hoping to add more to this list soon)

People who are just plain Awesome:
BlueBMW (to this day i thank you for hooking me up with Sapphire and getting me started with collecting PCE games)

Tatsujin

Re: "Sharp x1 PC ENGINE"
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2012, 09:02:27 PM »
yeah most of us here are aware of the X1 and a fellow member even owns/owned(?) one. it's a pretty kewl item, although bit redundant if you have other PCE hardware to play with. sure you can play some sharp x1 deticated games with it.
www.pcedaisakusen.net
the home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games coundown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^

Keith Courage

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2012, 10:15:53 PM »
What I don't understand is why it didn't have a CD drive in it to play the CD games or even use sharp CD software. I mean it is a PC after all.

Tatsujin

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2012, 10:42:19 PM »
yeah, but basically a quite old PC released in Dec. 1987, so only two month after the original PC Engine was released.

And we all know, when CD-Roms for the first time rolled into "le gamebiz".
www.pcedaisakusen.net
the home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games coundown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^

SuperDeadite

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2012, 12:53:52 AM »
lol there are no X1 CD-Rom drivers let alone games.  The X1 Twin is a lame machine really, as no SGX, no PCE-CD-Roms, and as an X1 it's a pure X1.  Meaning you can't run X1 Turbo nor Turbo Z games on it.  So for collectors only really.  Back when that was released the X1 Turbo Z was already out, so no point in buying the Twin unless you're name was Adolfark.
Stronger Than Your Average Deadite

majors

• Have cabs, will travel
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2012, 01:35:49 AM »
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the PCE part is not intergrated with the computer part, Meaning, you still have to run composite cables to play Hu's on your TV and a VGA to run computer. In fact, you can't have both running at the same time? There was a switch on the front that indicates PCE-Off-Computer.

Mad-gear had one FS at MAGFest, it's looks pretty mean, but at the end of the day, it only plays Hu's and is quite large. For the collector, sure it's a prize but I'd rather have a Shuttle
PCE Daisakusen RIP - "Booze should be a choice, not a privilege" -KCDC (The FP)
"The dumb are mostly intrigued by the drum"

Mishran

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2012, 02:28:34 AM »
That $900 price tag is overly rediculous. Especially for a system with such limited capability. I never even heard of the thing before coming here. On the computer side, is there even a decent selection of software for it? As for the PC Engine side, I'm assuming it is just a gutted PCE stuffed in the case. Should be easy enough to mod to allow US games to play on it. But without the CD or SGX support, yeah... not really desirable. If I found one for $50 at a local flea market though, I'd be all over it as it does look rather nice as a collectable.

Black Tiger

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2012, 03:40:44 AM »
If not this one, then there is another PCE/computer combo which does display the PCE on the same monitor, but internally the signal is only carried by composite.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

SignOfZeta

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2012, 06:14:35 AM »
What I don't understand is why it didn't have a CD drive in it to play the CD games or even use sharp CD software. I mean it is a PC after all.

Because it would have added $1500 to the price and there wouldn't be anything to play on it but Manhole.

RegalSin

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2012, 11:31:27 AM »
That is like going old old old school homes........

The PCE is good enough for me for now.

kazekirifx

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2012, 02:33:53 PM »
Aesthetically, it's a cool piece of hardware. I don't think anyone ever needed one, since PCE hardware has always been relatively cheap, and this was an expensive piece of hardware. It's even more useless capability-wise today. Niece collection piece for hardware collectors, though.

roflmao

« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2012, 04:44:37 PM »
Wow, it's shiny!  And about half the price of the other one.  It'll be interesting to see if the first one sells (really, I wouldn't be surprised).

Deletion

« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2012, 06:05:27 PM »
I didn't know there was such a beast. It's not the most practical choice for your primary system to play Hucards, but it does look cool.

esteban

« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2012, 08:39:19 AM »

Because it would have added $1500 to the price and there wouldn't be anything to play on it but Manhole.

Cook laughs his parser off!

|    |