Author Topic: Turbo Grafx games drop off the Virtual Console  (Read 3813 times)

motdelbourt

Turbo Grafx games drop off the Virtual Console
« on: March 30, 2012, 06:50:48 PM »
It begins: http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2012/03/three_turbografx_16_games_dropped_from_vc

I'm kicking myself for not having picked up Silent Debuggers in particular. Unlike most I have a lot of good memories of that game. And I don't have my Turbo console anymore, so I rely on PC emulation and the Virtual Console for my Turbo fix. Sadly this could be a trend with some of the smaller publishers on Virtual Console.

SignOfZeta

Re: Turbo Grafx games drop off the Virtual Console
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2012, 07:02:22 PM »
Sigh...yep. This is the main reason why physical copies and non-legit emulation are still the best way to collect stuff. You never know when this shit is going to just vanish.

Samurai Ghost

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2012, 07:04:21 PM »
I wonder what the reasoning is behind this... I mean, they can't be taking up much server space or bandwidth, so why delete games that you've already bothered to make available?

I personally don't care at all as I'd much rather play the real games on real hardware, but it seems kind of odd to me.

TheClash603

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2012, 10:25:30 PM »
Mortal Kombat 2 and Smash TV were two of the original Xbox Live games on the X360.  I bought each of them, and they are no longer online either.

This made me upset because that means that I could never say to a friend "hey, download Smash TV so we can play through it together."  No I am pretty much stuck with a game that cannot access one of its primary promises, online play.

TG16 games didn't have online play, but it is still shitty nonetheless.

Phyzikal Copie$ for Lyf3.

jperryss

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2012, 03:23:12 AM »
Mortal Kombat 2 and Smash TV were two of the original Xbox Live games on the X360.  I bought each of them, and they are no longer online either.

The irony is that the games are still out there. If you purchased them before and have to re-download them for some reason (new console) you can.

nat

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2012, 07:22:14 AM »
What the hell? These games take up a matter of kilobytes on a server somewhere. They're so small you'd have to delete like 6 of them just to have enough space to store a single average-length MP3.

It doesn't make any sense whatsoever. Nintendo can't be that hard up for a couple kilobytes that they just can't afford the cost of keeping them around. Hell, even if they sold 1 (or 0!) copies a year on these titles, it takes more effort to remove them than to just leave them there.

This makes no sense, and it makes me angry even though I never had any plans to buy these on VC since I already own the originals.

vestcoat

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2012, 07:41:10 AM »
I saw this on the wikipedia list of VC games last week.  Data East seems to be withdrawing their North American licenses, as all three games (Bloody Wolf, Silent Debuggers, Drop Off) belong to them.  The European games are Irem titles.

esteban

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2012, 10:55:41 AM »
I feel as if the Wii's launch was only a year or two ago, but we've entered Wii's twilight period.

As far as the VC is concerned, I never really thought about what the terms of the licensing entailed. I shouldn't be surprised...

I saw this on the wikipedia list of VC games last week.  Data East seems to be withdrawing their North American licenses, as all three games (Bloody Wolf, Silent Debuggers, Drop Off) belong to them.  The European games are Irem titles.

Drop Off is such a worthless title, Data East!

|    | 

motdelbourt

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2012, 10:23:01 AM »
I feel as if the Wii's launch was only a year or two ago, but we've entered Wii's twilight period.

As far as the VC is concerned, I never really thought about what the terms of the licensing entailed. I shouldn't be surprised...

Drop Off is such a worthless title, Data East!

Worse in a way is some of the Hudson WiiWare disappearing, since that stuff is really gone forever, unless it's hacked/emulated somewhere. The Military Madness WiiWare game was pretty much broken though, so I won't miss it. I'm thinking about picking up the WiiWare Adventure Island before it's too late though (maybe it already is)?

Samurai Ghost

« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2012, 01:55:17 PM »
Meh, that's another reason I'll never pay some middle-man to allow me to download some data I could just easily get myself for free. They can decide at any point just to pull the title and screw you. And unless there are some serious extras, what are you really paying for, really? Would you pay me $5 to let you download an ISO of Valis 2 for the DUO when you could just get it for free from another site? It's not like the creators of the game are getting any revenue from this.

If you want to do console emulation, just mod an Xbox and throw every ROM for every system up to the the Genesis/SNES along with some MAME on there and be done with it. I'll stick with physical copies thank you!

esteban

« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2012, 07:31:40 PM »
Meh, that's another reason I'll never pay some middle-man to allow me to download some data I could just easily get myself for free. They can decide at any point just to pull the title and screw you. And unless there are some serious extras, what are you really paying for, really? Would you pay me $5 to let you download an ISO of Valis 2 for the DUO when you could just get it for free from another site? It's not like the creators of the game are getting any revenue from this.

If you want to do console emulation, just mod an Xbox and throw every ROM for every system up to the the Genesis/SNES along with some MAME on there and be done with it. I'll stick with physical copies thank you!

I'd pay $50 for Valis II since I deeply look forward to marrying each and every Red Book song on that beloved disc. I have to go Mormon/polygamist, but I feel it will be worth it.

I'm not joking. It's OK if you don't feel the same way, since I don't want to compete with you for the object of my desire.

|    | 

Gogan

« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2012, 06:41:16 AM »

Turbo Grafx games drop off the Virtual Console

Good.
Nothin beats the real thing.

Duo_R

« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2012, 07:57:53 PM »
I am thinking it might be good to download Dyanstic Hero (US ver) if it is still there. I got the JP version but might be a good idea.
Add my YouTube channel: http://youtu.be/sOg93QUtlg0

For sale trade list: http://tinyurl.com/2csm7kq

esteban

« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2012, 10:50:16 PM »
I am thinking it might be good to download Dyanstic Hero (US ver) if it is still there. I got the JP version but might be a good idea.

I think it would definitely be a good idea .

|    |