Author Topic: Turbo Grafx games drop off the Virtual Console  (Read 3809 times)

reno5

Re: Turbo Grafx games drop off the Virtual Console
« Reply #30 on: August 10, 2012, 01:10:14 AM »
Physical copies is the way to go. I do not own any roms. I prefer to buy games and then play what i have then buy more.

esteban

« Reply #31 on: August 10, 2012, 03:43:06 AM »
Physical copies is the way to go. I do not own any roms. I prefer to buy games and then play what i have then buy more.

Sure, but to play Dynastic Hero in English, I can understand someone playing it via the Virtual Console.

Then, subsequent playthroughs can be done with an actual Japanese CD-ROM.

|    | 

ctophil

« Reply #32 on: August 19, 2014, 08:16:26 AM »

I'm with you.  I have almost every console that was released in America.  And I buy the games to collect and have the physical copies.  On Virtual Console, I only own Ys Book I & II for Turbografx-CD.  At the time, I thought I would never buy a Turbografx-CD.  But now that I do have a Turbo CD, I can care less about a virtual copy.

Like Steam, Xbox Live, PSN, Virtual Console, Origin, and every other system that carry virtual games, they could take down the games at any time either due to licensing issues, servers taken down, clear some space, or they believe the games no longer will sell.  You don't really own these virtual games, you just bought the rights to play them. 

PixyJunket

« Reply #33 on: October 18, 2014, 01:40:09 AM »
There were some hints about the Irem situation before they actually removed games, so I managed to grab Ninja Spirit and Hero Tonma before it happened and I'm very glad that I did, they are both really good games. I can't say I'm missing much from the others removed, though.
Drink Craft Beer and Play PC-Engine.
Compile, Westone and Falcom.

ishiyakazuo

« Reply #34 on: October 23, 2014, 10:47:38 AM »
Meh, that's another reason I'll never pay some middle-man to allow me to download some data I could just easily get myself for free. They can decide at any point just to pull the title and screw you. And unless there are some serious extras, what are you really paying for, really? Would you pay me $5 to let you download an ISO of Valis 2 for the DUO when you could just get it for free from another site? It's not like the creators of the game are getting any revenue from this.

If you want to do console emulation, just mod an Xbox and throw every ROM for every system up to the the Genesis/SNES along with some MAME on there and be done with it. I'll stick with physical copies thank you!

I'd pay $50 for Valis II since I deeply look forward to marrying each and every Red Book song on that beloved disc. I have to go Mormon/polygamist, but I feel it will be worth it.

I'm not joking. It's OK if you don't feel the same way, since I don't want to compete with you for the object of my desire.

I know this was said ages ago, but Valis II (and the first Valis) are (were?) available on the Japanese PlayStation Store under Game Archives.
Looks like they might be gone now.  Dang it, expiring licenses, etc.!  I was hoping they'd eventually put up Valis III and Valis IV.

esteban

« Reply #35 on: October 23, 2014, 12:23:44 PM »

Meh, that's another reason I'll never pay some middle-man to allow me to download some data I could just easily get myself for free. They can decide at any point just to pull the title and screw you. And unless there are some serious extras, what are you really paying for, really? Would you pay me $5 to let you download an ISO of Valis 2 for the DUO when you could just get it for free from another site? It's not like the creators of the game are getting any revenue from this.

If you want to do console emulation, just mod an Xbox and throw every ROM for every system up to the the Genesis/SNES along with some MAME on there and be done with it. I'll stick with physical copies thank you!

I'd pay $50 for Valis II since I deeply look forward to marrying each and every Red Book song on that beloved disc. I have to go Mormon/polygamist, but I feel it will be worth it.

I'm not joking. It's OK if you don't feel the same way, since I don't want to compete with you for the object of my desire.

I know this was said ages ago, but Valis II (and the first Valis) are (were?) available on the Japanese PlayStation Store under Game Archives.
Looks like they might be gone now.  Dang it, expiring licenses, etc.!  I was hoping they'd eventually put up Valis III and Valis IV.

I wish Sony released data/details for each title so we could see how many folks have actually downloaded each retro title.

I wan to to believe that the Valis series still has a few fans out there.

|    | 

nat

« Reply #36 on: October 26, 2014, 10:47:12 AM »
The Valis series holds great nostalgia for me, especially that timeless Valis III cover art.

esteban

« Reply #37 on: October 26, 2014, 10:48:13 AM »

The Valis series holds great nostalgia for me, especially that timeless Valis III cover art.

Tranny Sandra Bullock is special for me, too.
  |    | 

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #38 on: October 27, 2014, 05:40:59 AM »
I want to believe that the Valis series still has a few fans out there.

Some day I'll acquire a copy of that elusive Valis X.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

ishiyakazuo

« Reply #39 on: October 28, 2014, 02:42:29 PM »
I want to believe that the Valis series still has a few fans out there.
Dude, I played the living hell out of Valis III on Genesis as a kid.  I even played SD Valis way too much to be healthy... cuz that game sucked.  But I still played it because IT WAS VALIS.  I didn't have a TG16 CD as a kid, so the Genesis versions were what I had.  Now I've got Valis and Valis II on PS3 :D

Some day I'll acquire a copy of that elusive Valis X.
1) There are 5 of them in the Valis X series
2) Everyone says they suck (wouldn't know -- haven't played them)
3) They're hardly elusive... they go for like $5 each on Amazon.co.jp

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #40 on: October 29, 2014, 02:33:34 AM »
1) There are 5 of them in the Valis X series
2) Everyone says they suck (wouldn't know -- haven't played them)
3) They're hardly elusive... they go for like $5 each on Amazon.co.jp

1)  Goody, that's five times teh tittehs for me!
2)  I don't give a f*ck what others say.
3)  I'm not in Japan, so they are indeed elusive compared to other games that I can easily pick up off of eBay, Amazon, or a local retailer.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

Punch

« Reply #41 on: October 29, 2014, 04:16:50 PM »
Illusion Soft's 2006 PC hit Rapelay is hardly elusive. Some stuff is simply too hard to obtain outside of Japan -- and should remain so in my opinion.