Author Topic: can an express be mated to a cd like a duo?  (Read 362 times)

420GOAT

can an express be mated to a cd like a duo?
« on: April 11, 2012, 06:06:28 AM »
so before i had researched, i so badly wanted an express, ever since i was a 13 year old kid i wanted an express but was limited to my home tg16. but now i see the really cool games are on the cd. is there a way that i can link a cd to an express, i already have the av, regional, screen, turbo tap mod in mind, and im dreaming a cd to be connected to my express. is it simple or crazy? ive searched with no luck or mention of this. thanks.
I want to be more like 337.

The Wolf: If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the f*cking car.

SignOfZeta

Re: can an express be mated to a cd like a duo?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2012, 06:08:31 AM »
Its certainly not possible out of the box. It might be possible with a crapload of work, but it would just be a huge ugly mess regardless.

An LT fits in the CDROM2 IFU natively. That setup will run your a grand though.

Sadler

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2012, 06:11:54 AM »
Check out secret 6 on the 101 PC Engine Secrets page. Apparently you can almost do it. I think one of my first posts here asked about what the missing pin was, but I don't think anyone replied. I vaguely recall running into more information about it later, but I don't remember what. Sorry that's not terribly useful. :D

Found my post. Actually was my very first post.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 06:17:04 AM by Sadler »

turbokon

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2012, 06:25:31 AM »
Sorry but that doesn't seem practical to me. The idea is cool though. Also the PCE-Cd suitcase setup is pretty portable unit in itself compare to the TG-Cd setup. I took my pce-cd setup to my brothers' house the other night for a little get together.
Turbo fan since 1991 after owning my first system.

Check out my website:)
www.tg16pcemods.com

420GOAT

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2012, 06:54:16 AM »
ID pretty much like to turn my handheld into a home unit as well.  and also play cd games if id like. then hook all this stuff up in my vw bus to a 15-17 inch screen. just kicking around ideas.

The Wolf: If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the f*cking car.

vestcoat

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2012, 07:17:59 AM »
The closest I've seen to a TE replacing a home unit was 4-5 years ago when someone found a picture of a non-member's awesome, modified GT with a video out, a region switch, and a controller input.  I've never heard of anyone interfacing one with CD games.

There were a few PC Engine accessories for making a Duo somewhat portable.  There's a Duo battery pack which was an external black strip that fit on the back of the Duo (I haven't seen one on ebay in years and they've probably all died anyway) and there's the Duo Monitor, which has something like a 3' or 5' fold-up screen.   Either way, that lack of ESP would make it hard to play on the go.

Here's my solution: plug your Duo into the TurboTuner, play Lords of Thunder for five minutes until your eyes get tired, and let this dream die.

esteban

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2012, 08:16:54 AM »
420GOAT was never claiming that the TE+CD combo was practical...he just thought the concept was awesome .

Anyway, 420GOAT, to experience nearly the same thing, simply tape a standard controller on top of TurboExpress. Use your TE screen as a monitor (AV in from TV tuner) and hook up any console. Voila!

|    | 

420GOAT

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2012, 08:52:55 AM »
the Steve had modded one so he can see it on his tv, also he mentioned hed be able to put an outlet for a tap, so this almost makes it a "home system" im not trying to walk around with a cd player but i dont want a whole other system to play some of the sweet cd games like wonderboy i just read up on in the pc free online mag. im still working on bloody wolf, after that im looking to get these mods done if possible.

MotherGunner

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2012, 09:35:53 PM »
Back in the old days I actually used to carry a VCR in a backpack to work and run RCA to mini AV (Turbo Tuner) on my TE.  It was rediculous but did the trick!
-MG

SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM (If you want peace, Prepare for war)
SI VIS BELLUM, PARA MATRIMONIUM (If you want war, Prepare for marriage)

soop

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2012, 10:27:25 PM »
Back in the old days I actually used to carry a VCR in a backpack to work and run RCA to mini AV (Turbo Tuner) on my TE.  It was rediculous but did the trick!

Oh my goodness, I don't know if that's awesome or retarded!  Probably awesome :D

majors

• Have cabs, will travel
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2012, 04:35:12 AM »
Back in the old days I actually used to carry a VCR in a backpack to work and run RCA to mini AV (Turbo Tuner) on my TE. 
I never had a tuner but a buddy told me he would run his PS1 (playing Toshinden) into his Express at school. Like you said, does the trick!
PCE Daisakusen RIP - "Booze should be a choice, not a privilege" -KCDC (The FP)
"The dumb are mostly intrigued by the drum"

esteban

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2012, 07:23:06 PM »
Back in the old days I actually used to carry a VCR in a backpack to work and run RCA to mini AV (Turbo Tuner) on my TE. 

I never had a tuner but a buddy told me he would run his PS1 (playing Toshinden) into his Express at school. Like you said, does the trick!

Hell yes.

Oh my goodness, I don't know if that's awesome or retarded!  Probably awesome :D

It's awesomely retarded, because I did similar stuff back in the day (when I did not have access to a real TV, which happens often in a busy house with lots of people and only one television).

|    |