Author Topic: [entry-level setup] So..which PC-Engine setup should I buy?  (Read 728 times)

PunkicCyborg

Re: [entry-level setup] So..which PC-Engine setup should I buy?
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2012, 10:24:04 PM »
Thread title: "entry-level setup"?

Answer:

LASER ACTIVE

+1

Awesome.

Honestly if it wasn't pricey, this would be the best because you can play Laserdiscs as well and Laseractive games so this is really the ultimate set up.
(19:28:25) GE0: superdead told me in whisper that his favorite game is mario paint

Ji-L87

« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2012, 11:52:20 PM »
Thread title: "entry-level setup"?

Answer:

LASER ACTIVE

+1

Awesome.

Honestly if it wasn't pricey, this would be the best because you can play Laserdiscs as well and Laseractive games so this is really the ultimate set up.

Let's not forget about Mega Drive & Mega-CD games...I would like to have one : s But I already have an LD-player sooo....
CHECKPOINT!
There is a perverted Japanese businessman in every Swiss PCE fan.

RegalSin

« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2012, 01:19:10 AM »
if you get a pc engine you will always be thinking about what if I had a CD drive for this thing.

And if NEC/Hudson had decided to do a trade in deal, and keep the suitcase model they would have problaby been around alot longer. But nnoooooo everybody wants everything to be accessable, portable, and cheap during the super 80's. One of the reasons why the media giant, SONY became a giant was by making great products but without  internal compenents. They kept everything seperated. Then when it came to America, they decided to make everything portable, which gave us the famous failing green screen, after the ever so popular Volume:-llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll+
and of course Mute:

esteban

« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2012, 12:29:34 AM »
Volume:-llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll+

This is the best use of bolded, green text, ever!

I'm serious.
  |    | 

nadir

« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2012, 05:55:07 AM »
Thanks for everyone who helped, I'm going to get a PCE DUO-R in this case. :>
And an Arcade Card expansion later on!

Tatsujin

« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2012, 01:33:54 PM »

I'm serious.

It almost look like the real deal. ASCII ART FTW.
www.pcedaisakusen.net
the home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games coundown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^

Nando

« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2012, 05:48:56 PM »
after the ever so popular Volume:-llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll+
and of course Mute:

I've no clue what the f*ck you are talking about, but OMG that's f*cking brilliant!

esteban

« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2012, 11:39:41 PM »

I'm serious.

It almost look like the real deal. ASCII ART FTW.

Seriously!  

Quote from: Nando link=topic=11561.msg221214#msg221214

I've no clue what the f*ck you are talking about, but OMG that's f*cking brilliant!

Indubitably! 
« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 11:42:51 PM by esteban »
  |    | 

rcantor77

« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2012, 12:33:48 AM »
This is all down to preference really...

I mainly use a Duo-R and that is definitely the best option for all round game compatibility... but you might want to look at getting the RGB mod done on it though.

But if money is tight then look at just getting an Original/Core/Core II and then when funds are available upgrade it with an IFU-30 (CD-ROM2 System) when you can.

Alternatively, buy yourself a Super Grafx now and then upgrade it with a Super CD-ROM2 System later down the line.

There are so many different options to help any budget that it does come down to how much is in your pocket now... whatever you choose it will be the best thing you ever did and you will love it. Enjoy. 8)

PC-Engine.co.uk - definitive hardware listing for all PC Engine and Turbo Grafx systems.

soop

« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2012, 03:09:44 AM »
This is all down to preference really...

I mainly use a Duo-R and that is definitely the best option for all round game compatibility... but you might want to look at getting the RGB mod done on it though.

But if money is tight then look at just getting an Original/Core/Core II and then when funds are available upgrade it with an IFU-30 (CD-ROM2 System) when you can.

Alternatively, buy yourself a Super Grafx now and then upgrade it with a Super CD-ROM2 System later down the line.

There are so many different options to help any budget that it does come down to how much is in your pocket now... whatever you choose it will be the best thing you ever did and you will love it. Enjoy. 8)

I still say Supergrafx.  Not that much more than a Core II.

TheClash603

« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2012, 02:18:09 PM »
I love when these threads start and Laseractive is suggested.  Definitely not the most cost friendly set-up, but it is by far and away the most enjoyable.

Jibbajaba

« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2012, 04:14:28 PM »
Thanks for everyone who helped, I'm going to get a PCE DUO-R in this case. :>
And an Arcade Card expansion later on!

That's the best option.  I bought a Duo-R that was already modded for RGB and had a region switch added.  Add an arcade card to that and you can play everything (except SuperGrafx and LaserActive games, of course.)

city41

« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2012, 04:19:24 PM »
I currently have a TG16 and a Turbo Express. I know I'll need a cd system and Japanese system sooner or later. I'd love to get a SuperGrafx with a Super CD ROM 2 system just because it looks so bad ass (and the slight bonus of SG games). But that's looking pretty expensive (on eBay anyways) any chance of getting that setup for less than $600ish? If not, I'll probably just get a Duo.

soop

« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2012, 04:04:49 AM »
I currently have a TG16 and a Turbo Express. I know I'll need a cd system and Japanese system sooner or later. I'd love to get a SuperGrafx with a Super CD ROM 2 system just because it looks so bad ass (and the slight bonus of SG games). But that's looking pretty expensive (on eBay anyways) any chance of getting that setup for less than $600ish? If not, I'll probably just get a Duo.

Yeah, 600 is loads.  You can probably get it boxed for under that.