Author Topic: [entry-level setup] So..which PC-Engine setup should I buy?  (Read 729 times)

nadir

[entry-level setup] So..which PC-Engine setup should I buy?
« on: April 12, 2012, 08:54:22 AM »
Yo.

I want to buy a PC-Engine. I'm new to this and only read the Wikipedia article on the PCE. Here some questions:

1. Which is the setup you would recommend to someone who doesn't want to spend a fortune?
What do you think about this setup?

-PCE
-SuperCD
-Interface Unit
-optional: multiplayer hub
-optional:additional controllers

Anything missing here? Special cables? Or should I get a PCE Duo with everything already included?

2. Do you recommend the SuperCD addon or will I have more than enough to play with a basic PCE unit? I.e., will I be able to play most of the supposedly best games the PCE has to offer with just the basic PCE?

3. Unit JAPAN 0930 <= Does this PCE production series contain any flaws or anything I should know about? There's an eBay auction for the PCE + SuperCD + interface Unit going for less than $200. Hope you don't consider this advertisement, cuz it isn't. :>

I'm a bit in a hurry and don't want to spend hours reading background info. Which is why I made this thread. :>

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
    • Incessant Negativity Software
Re: [entry-level setup] So..which PC-Engine setup should I buy?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2012, 09:02:26 AM »
You need a system card 3.0 to really enjoy PCE CD games.

The Duo has this built in, as does the Super CD

What you want to do is find a

Duo-R/RX (preferably an R, as they are usually cheaper)
a Briefcase Unit + System Card 3.0 or the Arcade card pro

These are the easiest to find cheap.
[Fri 19:34]<nectarsis> been wanting to try that one for awhile now Ope
[Fri 19:33]<Opethian> l;ol huge dong

I'm a max level Forum Warrior.  I'm immortal.
If you're not ready to defend your claims, don't post em.

esteban

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2012, 09:13:35 AM »
It depends on your budget. There are a few threads that deal with your situation ("newbie needs advice on hardware"), but here's the short version:

(1) $$$$$. You will most likely want to explore the AWESOME library of CD-ROM games at some point. So, you should definitely get a DUO-R or DUO-RX (Japanese models) since they have (thus far) the best reliability. You can play Japanese HuCARDS on this system. If you modify the system (or pay someone here to do it), then you can get a region switch installed that will enable you to play US HuCARDS. This would be nice for a handful of HuCARD games where the English-language version is more pleasurable to an English-speaker. If you don't want to get a region switch, you could always pick up a cheap TG-16.

(2) $$. Get a TG-16 and/or PCE CoreGrafx I/II. Some of the US HuCARDS have ridiculous prices, so you may want to get a PCE for the cheaper Japanese version. CAVEAT: Some games, like Neutopia I & II, Dungeon Explorer, etc. are more fun in English if you are an English-speaker. PROBLEM: You will explore the HuCard library until you finally realize that you MUST PLAY all the CD games! At this point, you could sell your base TG-16/PCE and invest in a DUO-R/RX.

NOTE: Option 2 is perfectly fine for folks on a budget. There are many wonderful, cheap HuCard games to occupy you. But, make no mistake, you WILL EVENTUALLY lust for the CD games.

|    | 

Nando

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2012, 09:42:46 AM »
GO WITH BERNIES SETUP!!!!

Colossus1574

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2012, 10:20:55 AM »
GO WITH BERNIES SETUP!!!!

Agreed, just grab an Arcade Card Pro and you'll be able to play ANYTHING under the "PCE" sun. If you can't lock up an ACPro cheap, then grab the 3.0 card since there's really only a handful of must plays in the Arcade lineup. Goodluck and welcome to the club (soon)!

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2012, 10:43:49 AM »
The short answer is that you want a Duo-R, but generally any CD system is okay for the right price; the CD add-on has gear issues and the original Duo has cap issues, but there's nothing to worry about if they've been refurbished or are cheap enough (compared to a Duo-R) to pay to have the work done.  Just don't waste your time with a huey only system, as you'll be missing out on many of the best games (not that there aren't a ton of cart gems too).
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

RegalSin

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2012, 12:26:04 PM »
You just have to expriement and find the stuff, out. So far I would go with Bernies setup, because that is a really bellow the belt good price and he is selling it, right now.

The only reason why a person would want to buy a Duo is to play the
Game express games. They ironicness, that they run but with graphics missing ](*,)
just in time for the release of the Duo. The Turbografix itself is a personal preference.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 11:57:07 PM by RegalSin »

SignOfZeta

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2012, 12:32:22 PM »
Duo R.

Keith Courage

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2012, 12:43:48 PM »
Yeah, if you get a pc engine you will always be thinking about what if I had a CD drive for this thing. Usually a Duo-r or pc engine duo is the way to go since they have the super 3.0 CD card built in. However, if you can find yourself a good working pc engine with CD add on and a super CD card for a good price then that would work as well.

Whatever you do don't buy a TG16 or pc engine alone and then plan on getting the CD add on for it later. It's difficult to find people selling just the CD add on by itself without a system included as well.

SuperDeadite

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2012, 03:31:38 PM »
LASER ACTIVE. 
Stronger Than Your Average Deadite

Tatsujin

« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2012, 03:52:02 PM »
Duo R.

For pure convenient and stable playfun, I'll have to 2nd that.

PLUS an Arcadecard DUO.
www.pcedaisakusen.net
the home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games coundown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^

TR0N

« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2012, 08:12:49 PM »
Duo-R or RX nuff said.

PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

kazekirifx

esteban

« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2012, 07:50:25 PM »
Thread title: "entry-level setup"?

Answer:

LASER ACTIVE

+1

Awesome.
  |    |