Author Topic: 360  (Read 860 times)

KingDrool

« on: November 22, 2005, 09:57:21 AM »
Anyone get one?

I picked mine up today, along with Perfect Dark Zero, Project Gotham Racing 3, Condemned, and Kameo.  So far I'm really liking it.  It doesn't feel like a giant leap ahead, but at least a nice step.  The improvements they made to the Xbox Live and Dashboard interfaces are really nice.
Games I Need: Bonk 3 (HuCard), Legend of Hero Tonma, Magical Chase, Soldier Blade, Super Air Zonk.

Got one to sell? PM me!

Michael Helgeson

« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2005, 10:35:30 AM »
I dont own a X-Box period.I build computers to play pc games,not buy ugly looking boxes to get lower quality detail settings on first person shooters.
As for last nite,I didnt bother to join the lines at Wal Mart for yet another money wasting experience on a first person shooter gaming system.
Last nite I stayed home and played on Sega Cd and NeoGeo.

esteban

Re: 360
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2005, 12:46:58 PM »
Quote from: "jlued686"
Anyone get one?

I picked mine up today, along with Perfect Dark Zero, Project Gotham Racing 3, Condemned, and Kameo.  So far I'm really liking it.  It doesn't feel like a giant leap ahead, but at least a nice step.  The improvements they made to the Xbox Live and Dashboard interfaces are really nice.
I have yet to see360in action. Needless to say, I'm really curious! I actually thought it was launching at the end of the month ...
  |    | 

GUTS

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2005, 02:32:26 PM »
I called on mine but I'm 30 on the list and they're only getting a few at a time, so it'll probably be a couple weeks before I get it.  I don't have an HD tv so I'm not as stoked as most people, but basically Oblivion is going to be the best game EVER so I have to get one.  Plus those other RPGs coming out look super rad too, next year is going to be awesome for the 360.

TR0N

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2005, 04:58:17 PM »
Nope i'm holding out for the PS3&Revolution any ways :arrow:

PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

KingDrool

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2005, 04:02:10 AM »
Quote from: "Michael Helgeson"
I dont own a X-Box period.I build computers to play pc games,not buy ugly looking boxes to get lower quality detail settings on first person shooters.
As for last nite,I didnt bother to join the lines at Wal Mart for yet another money wasting experience on a first person shooter gaming system.
Last nite I stayed home and played on Sega Cd and NeoGeo.

Wow...tell us how you really feel.

Sheesh... :roll:
Games I Need: Bonk 3 (HuCard), Legend of Hero Tonma, Magical Chase, Soldier Blade, Super Air Zonk.

Got one to sell? PM me!

Michael Helgeson

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2005, 05:39:48 AM »
Show me on a game on the system thats worth blowing 300-400 bucks on.
Your going to be hard pressed to do so.Basically I answered your question.If you dont want to know,then dont ask questions like who got one or who didnt.

GUTS

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2005, 11:29:26 AM »
You'll spend (or have already spent) that much or more upgrading your pc to be able to compete with the 360's graphics so I don't see what the difference is.  I don't get these pc guys who think it's ok to blow $300 on a graphics card that will be outdated next year but not $300 on a game system that will last 4-5 years.

TR0N

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2005, 05:43:18 PM »
This still makes me laugh :lol:  :lol:

http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/11/23/xbox.scuffle.ap/index.html

Melee cancels local Xbox sales.

zborgerd

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2005, 05:09:01 AM »
Quote from: "Tron"

Wow.  People are such morons.  It's a flippin game system, and they're fighting over it!

JBSpeed

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2005, 06:32:51 AM »
I'm in the process of putting together what will be primarily  a new gaming pc and will probably end up spending more than $1,000.  I never have even thought of buying a console, either the last gen or next gen ones.

There may be some pc snobbery involved but, no matter how much microsoft or sony try to emulate the pc experience of playing online and some downloadable content, it doesn't come close to the large community of people that make add ons for games.  Nearly every pc game for the genres I play comes will editors.  From strategy to rpgs there is constantly new content to find and check out.  Just recently a group of dedicated gamers completed an unofficial patch for Age of Wonders:Shadow Magic.  I don't think there's any interest like this in non-mainstream 3 year old console games.

I'm pretty much waiting for the system requirements for Oblivion before I start buying components.  You might think $400 for a 360 and $60 for oblivion beats spending $1,300 on a pc, but there is really nothing the 360 has to offer that competes with a pc  to me  at least.
I'm not cool

Michael Helgeson

« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2005, 09:55:56 AM »
Pretty much it goes down like this.
1.I never spend that much on building a gaming computer.I hit ebay alot,and get parts at great prices.The last gaming computer I built costed maybe 400 bucks to build.It had a gig of ram,a Athlon 64 2800+,a Shuttle motherboard,Radeon 9700 Pro,Sound Blaster Live,2 hard drives,on ebeing 60 gig,the other 80 gig in a hot swap tray,and the cd-burner and dvd drive and case and fans.Also a 550 watt power supply.
You either have a choice,go wild and do all retail parts,or go oem on stuff like the cpu,which will save alot and still get you ayear warrenty.I dont build the badest ones around,but I build what is needed to run games for at least the next 2 years without  a major overhaul.
2. Pc gaming is way way better on FPS and driving games also.If you choose your hardware right,you can run everything in very nice resolution,with FSAA,and maxed details,and a home system just cant compete with this on these types of games.
3. Key board and mouse.Playing a FPS on anything but these sucks ass.
4.As said above,online multiplayer gaming is not near as good as on pc.I clock in alot of hours on Wolfenstien,and you just cant get those kinda matches done on X Box anything.The ram is not there yet on home systems to let you have a 40 person match.
5.Audio.Depending on what audio card you use,EAX audio stomps a home gaming systems audio pretty easy.Great audio cards can be had for 30-60 bucks.
6.S-Video output on graphics cards.Playing everything you want to on a pc on TV kicks ass.Emulation,movies,pc gaming.Doing a multi-monitor setup also opens a world of uses a game system cant give you.
7.Everything you can do on a pc you can do only a fraction of even on the new X-Box 360.
8.If you only play home systems,thats fine,but gaming computers will always be ahead in graphics,audio,storage,use,and speed,and building a gaming computer lets you be very flexable.
9.Computers have had multi core cpus for  afew months now,and 64-bit cpus even longer.Also Dual processor has been around and popular since Pentium 2 was the top end of gaming with a Voodoo 2 dual card set up.And as it is,dual core cpus are really more usefull in making sure there are not data errors,they are not going to offer blazingly faster frames per second.The GPU will need to be the workhorse in this area.And the x-box gpu spec wise isnt anything more special then the newest Radeon or Geforce SLI top end setup,so your not getting the bargin system you think you are.When the X-Box came out,it got stuck with a Pentium 3 733mhz,and a Geforce 3 and a half.It didnt even qualify as a GF 4 Ti4200,and be honest with yourself,if you even now try to match a X-Box game of Doom 3 or Serious Sam,it wont compete graphically with a normal stock Geforce 3 in a Athlon 2500+ with a 40 gig ata 100 hd and 768 megs of ram.DDR ram has come down in price,as has normal Athlon Xps,and a Geforce 3 can be had for as little as 20 bucks after shipping.If your smart and money minded,you can build a gaming computer of those specs and get better FPS gaming then a X-Box will give you.
10.Alot of the great X-Box titles are pc ports.That means your getting a port,not a exact duplicate of the original intended experience.Thi sha sbeen going on for years now,and will probably never change.MDK set the tone for this,back in the 3DFX Voodoo days,so if you want,blame Shiney and 3DFX.

Michael Helgeson

« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2005, 03:00:25 PM »
I will give the 360 this much,the 512 ram they decided to place in it is a step in the right direction.It still coinsides with how ram is done console vs gaming pc though.
Back when X-Box came out,most gaming pcs had 256 to 512 megs ddr ram or sdram.X-Box only had 64,which had to be shared with everything,unlike a computer which has ram,then graphics card which has its own ram.Now in gaming pcs its the norm to have 1 gig or ddr ram or more,and to have a graphics card with 256 megs ddr3 ram,and a high of 512.
If you think this ram isnt used you got another thing coming.FSAA is a real ram drainer,so the more you have,the better off you are.Also having a ton of ram keeps the load times down on a computer,to damn near nill depending on the game.360 will give close,but never ever the exact same speed graphics quality this can give you.Hardware wise,the 360 will be outdated compared to a gaming pc in a matter of a year.But most home system users dont actually know or care about things like FSAA,1600x1200 resolutions,or notice that your games have huge frame drops below the 30fps mark on average.Home system gaming is just different,way more basic.In some ways thats great,in some ways its not.
Side note!
You can always get a modded X-Box with a extra 64 megs ram installed,and a Celeron 1.2 I think it is upgrade,and a bigger hard drive installed.
The extra ram and Celeron speed load times and frames up pretty good,and if you look around on the net,Im sure you can find one for a good price.

TR0N

« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2005, 06:16:48 PM »
Quote from: "zborgerd"
Quote from: "Tron"

Wow.  People are such morons.  It's a flippin game system, and they're fighting over it!

Yeah they are i know if i wanted a 360,i would have waited untile "next year" to get one.

KingDrool

« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2005, 10:05:46 AM »
Quote from: "Michael Helgeson"
Show me on a game on the system thats worth blowing 300-400 bucks on.
Your going to be hard pressed to do so.Basically I answered your question.If you dont want to know,then dont ask questions like who got one or who didnt.

You're right: I asked who got one.  Not "who got one, and if not, tell me in an arrogant, condescending fashion why you didn't then proceed to spend twenty minutes constructing a diatribe on why PC gaming is better than buying an Xbox."

Got one to sell? PM me!