Author Topic: sega game gear help  (Read 814 times)

420GOAT

sega game gear help
« on: May 27, 2012, 12:53:37 PM »
hello, my girl just picked up a game gear at the flee market for $10. well the screen is dark and i see its common. any one here have the caps for the screen on the cheap? thanks.
I want to be more like 337.

The Wolf: If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the f*cking car.

Black Tiger

Re: sega game gear help
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2012, 01:10:00 PM »
hello, my girl just picked up a game gear at the flee market for $10. well the screen is dark and i see its common. any one here have the caps for the screen on the cheap? thanks.

Game Gears are as common in most parts of America as they are around hear, from what I've read online. You should be able to find a fully working one for $10.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

Tatsujin

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2012, 01:14:47 PM »
If that ain't gonna help, lol.
www.pcedaisakusen.net
the home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games coundown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^

roflmao

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2012, 01:50:16 PM »
I think I read here in the forums that chop5 does a cap swap for the Game Gear.  I've been meaning to contact him about it because I was recently given a Game Gear and it's got very low sound and a very washed out screen.  I'm sure the sound issue is cap related, but don't know about the screen.  Anyway, you might want to send a PM his way.

ApolloBoy

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2012, 02:34:46 PM »
I'm sure the sound issue is cap related, but don't know about the screen.
Screen issues are caused by bad caps as well.
Quote from: Arkhan
it makes me laugh because people are like I REMEMBER PLAYIN THAT BACK IN THE DAY, MAN THAT WAS FUN.

and then I go "yeah I remember playing that 2 days ago because I still have my SNES, retard"

Frank_fjs

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2012, 08:54:07 PM »
Even with fresh caps the screen isn't the best.

HercTNT

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2012, 12:29:40 AM »
outside of replacing the caps you can also do an led backlight mod. this will dramatically improve battery life, and help the look of the screen alittle.

guyjin

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2012, 03:51:46 AM »
did you mess with the contrast dial at all? I've seen people mistake it for the volume control and declare it non-working.
"Fun is a strong word." - SNK
"Today, people do all kind of shit." - Tatsujin

roflmao

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2012, 05:32:23 AM »
I'm assuming you are referring to the Brightness dial?  On mine, I can make the screen really bright or really dark, but the picture is never very good.  It's acceptable/playable though. If there's a separate Contrast dial, then I'm retarded and can't find it. :P

The volume, on the other hand, is maxed out and barely audible, and in my ear has to be an inch from the speaker to faintly hear anything. 

I didn't know there was an led backlight mod.  Sounds pretty cool!

storino03

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2012, 05:45:02 AM »
The gamegear I have has really loud volume, but the video/screen has bleeding colors that go vertical on sprites and background images so it looks like a painting that you splash water and starts to run down.

420GOAT

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2012, 05:38:30 PM »
lookinrt some info.

The Wolf: If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the f*cking car.

420GOAT

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2012, 12:58:15 PM »

Game Gears are as common in most parts of America as they are around hear, from what I've read online. You should be able to find a fully working one for $10.

after looking into this, for ten bucks all you get is a broken game gear, so i dont feel bad, f*ck i usually drink more than that in a day! any way i may try this myself, but im a mechanic not a f*cken electronics guru. i did fix my boys xbox by taking it apart and changing the belt. after a couple tutorials i feel i can do it but can anyone point me to just the video caps....yes im a bastard for not wanting to change them all, but baby steps fellas.

storino03

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2012, 01:43:54 PM »
there are a few tutorials on Youtube.

kazekirifx

« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2012, 02:19:49 PM »
I have 3 Game Gears and all of them have screen and sound issues. I fixed the sound on one of them. These things tend to break. I reckon you'll have a hard time getting lucky and finding a fully working one at a flea market for $10.

I don't even like portable consoles. I'd kill for a way to connect real Game Gear hardware to a TV or larger monitor, since I just can't enjoy emulation, knowing that it's emulation. Actually, I think I did find an article online once about someone who managed to mod a Game Gear for this purpose, but it was way way too serious an operation for my taste.

420GOAT

« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2012, 04:21:05 PM »
there are a few tutorials on Youtube.

none show me just the video caps.