Author Topic: Ironman/PC-FX mentioned in 1990????  (Read 447 times)

AM2forever

Ironman/PC-FX mentioned in 1990????
« on: November 13, 2002, 07:27:00 AM »
Is it possible that what would -eventually- become the PC-FX was reported on as far back as 1990?  I think so.  If you look at Electronic Gaming Monthy number 10, the one with Konami's Super C for the NES on the cover, in Gaming Gossip page 28, Quarterman (Steve Harris) writes the following in the 2nd paragraph:

"I've also learned that NEC's advanced game machine was not the Super Grafx but instead will be a 32-Bit with enough power to drill all existing systems into the ground. The machine is still rumored to be in the development stages, but evidentally NEC wants it to happen."

I believe what he is talking about here was the (early) Ironman  (or Iron Man FX)  that would be shown two years later--I'm pretty sure the Ironman was the Hudson 32-bit board with 5 large chips and morphing capabilities, also seen in EGM.  

That same board, I believe, was also shown in Video Games & Computer Entertainment, October 1992, (News Bits section) page 24. Although here it was called the HuC62! The HuC62 seen in VG&CE is clearly the same, or similar to, the Ironman board. Two years later in 1994, and four years after EGM's report, the PC-FX is launched in Japan. From what I understand, many of the major elements of the Ironman/IronmanFX (the chipset) was used in the PC-FX.  Does this sound about right to you guys?  

Btw, I know that Ironman/Ironman FX was also known as Project Tetsujin but I only saw this name used in GameFan, not EGM or VG&CE.

Can anyone come up with a quote eariler than EGM's number 10, which was from May 1990, that rumored an NEC 32-bit system?  It's interesting to see just how far back the first reports of a console go.

some links:

EGM number 10, showing its from May 1990: nestral.topcities.com/gal...gm1990.htm

Ironman/Tetsujin 32-Bit chipset/board:
members.tripod.com/~faberp/IronMan.htm

Hudson's own website, linking HUC62 chipset (Ironman?) to PC-FX:
">216.239.37.100/search?q=cache[img" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">http://www.ezboard.com/images/emoticons/embarassed.gif[/img] Edited by: AM2forever at: 11/15/02 3:28:04 pm

Pcenginefx

Re: Ironman/PC-FX mentioned in 1990????
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2002, 01:55:00 AM »
That sounds correct.  You did see the info I have on Pcenginefx.com about this right?

As for info before that 1990 article, I've not seen any.  I used to have that magazine (but I think I cut out the article and archived it somewhere before I tossed it).   Aaron Nanto
Webmaster Pcenginefx.com
www.pcenginefx.com

The ultimate resource for NEC console information!
//Aaron
Owner/Creator of PCENGINEFX.com

AM2forever

Re: Ironman/PC-FX mentioned in 1990????
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2002, 11:25:00 AM »
I've seen the info & picture of the Iron Man FX/Tatsujin board on Pcenginefx.com (very cool btw) but I haven't looked at the magazine article sections for several months, so haven't seen if you made any additions.  I'm going to look though.

hot stuff!

Edited by: AM2forever at: 11/27/02 7:28:52 pm