Author Topic: The TG16/PCE good deal thread  (Read 6600 times)

BigusSchmuck

Re: The TG16/PCE good deal thread
« Reply #30 on: July 26, 2012, 12:44:34 PM »
was it that hard plastic or that molded stuff that has a soft spongy feel (if that makes sense lol)?

Fairly thick rubbery plastic.
I hope it was worth $3.75, I thought about getting these for myself as well..

esteban

« Reply #31 on: July 26, 2012, 10:20:45 PM »
After a file down, it works in my turbo tap, I bought three of these. So two more to file down :(

I bought one of these cables because I was curious about it.

So, just to clarify:

(1) DIN male fits into the TG-16 console
(2) DIN male doesn't fit into any of the 5 controller ports on TurboTap (due to clearance issues).

Thanks in advance.
  |    | 

soop

« Reply #32 on: July 26, 2012, 11:33:38 PM »
As far as mine goes, the link is dead now, but here's the guy I got it from: http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/kraydad/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=50&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2654

Bardoly

« Reply #33 on: July 27, 2012, 03:07:50 AM »
As far as mine goes, the link is dead now, but here's the guy I got it from: http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/kraydad/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=50&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2654

So, are you saying that the extension cord(s) that you bought from this guy fits and works perfectly fine with extending from the console to the Turbo Tap AND/OR from the Turbo Tap to the controller?  Or only from the console to the Turbo Tap as esteban indicates.  Or is your cord different from the original eBay link?

After a file down, it works in my turbo tap, I bought three of these. So two more to file down :(

I bought one of these cables because I was curious about it.

So, just to clarify:

(1) DIN male fits into the TG-16 console
(2) DIN male doesn't fit into any of the 5 controller ports on TurboTap (due to clearance issues).

Thanks in advance.

Basically, here's my situation.  When I play TurboGrafx, it's usually by myself, so one extension cord from console to controller will usually work fine.  But, when I want to play Cadash with my friend, the short cords hamper our seating a bit, so I'd like to purchase some of these cords, but I just want to make sure of what I'm getting into here.  At minimum, I need 1 cord from console to Turbo Tap, but I'm considering getting 5-6 with one for each of my controllers for when I want to play 5-player.

DragonmasterDan

« Reply #34 on: July 27, 2012, 03:16:05 AM »

Basically, here's my situation.  When I play TurboGrafx, it's usually by myself, so one extension cord from console to controller will usually work fine.  But, when I want to play Cadash with my friend, the short cords hamper our seating a bit, so I'd like to purchase some of these cords, but I just want to make sure of what I'm getting into here.  At minimum, I need 1 cord from console to Turbo Tap, but I'm considering getting 5-6 with one for each of my controllers for when I want to play 5-player.

If you use an extension cable from the system to the tap itself you're going to run into problems when doing multi-player. These particular cables have a plastic hood over the end that prevent them from sliding into the turbo tap and connecting. So you have to file down the hood to get them to fit into the Turbo Tap.
--DragonmasterDan

Bardoly

« Reply #35 on: July 27, 2012, 04:11:18 AM »

If you use an extension cable from the system to the tap itself you're going to run into problems when doing multi-player. These particular cables have a plastic hood over the end that prevent them from sliding into the turbo tap and connecting. So you have to file down the hood to get them to fit into the Turbo Tap.

Sorry to be dense here, but you're telling me that using an extension cord between the console and the Turbo Tap will or at least possibly will cause problems with multi-player games, such as button presses not registered, direction presses not being accurate, and such, but that using the same cord between the Turbo Tap and a controller will NOT have those same problems?  Apparently, using the extension cord between the console and a single controller (for 1-player games) is fine.  Right?

I want to get some extension cords, but if they're just going to cause problems, then maybe I'm better off not getting them.

soop

« Reply #36 on: July 27, 2012, 04:15:27 AM »
So, are you saying that the extension cord(s) that you bought from this guy fits and works perfectly fine with extending from the console to the Turbo Tap AND/OR from the Turbo Tap to the controller?  Or only from the console to the Turbo Tap as esteban indicates.  Or is your cord different from the original eBay link?

Yeah, here, this is the exact one:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mini-Din-Minidin-8-pin-MF-Black-Extension-6-ft-cable-/230578078870?pt=US_Audio_Cables_Adapters&hash=item35af864496

It fits the tap and the controller.  I'm really pleased with it, and so far no problems with 4 player bomberman.

As far as Turbo-taps go though, it might be wise to point out which one I'm using:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEC-PC-Engine-5-Player-Multi-Tap-Boxed-Japan-/271024793668?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f1a562844

As you can see, it has a tail, so if you're using a different tap, YMMV

DragonmasterDan

« Reply #37 on: July 27, 2012, 04:16:03 AM »

Sorry to be dense here, but you're telling me that using an extension cord between the console and the Turbo Tap will or at least possibly will cause problems with multi-player games, such as button presses not registered, direction presses not being accurate, and such, but that using the same cord between the Turbo Tap and a controller will NOT have those same problems?  Apparently, using the extension cord between the console and a single controller (for 1-player games) is fine.  Right?

I want to get some extension cords, but if they're just going to cause problems, then maybe I'm better off not getting them.

Yes, an extension between the console and the tap can cause problems with button presses not being registered. However, the same cord between the tap and individual controllers plugged into the tap will not have those problems. Using an extension between the console and a single controller is fine as well.
--DragonmasterDan

jperryss

« Reply #38 on: August 05, 2012, 02:09:25 PM »
Decent deal? Turbostick for $20 + $5 shipping. I'm not looking for one, but it seems a bit cheaper than they usually go for.

Deletion

« Reply #39 on: August 05, 2012, 02:41:44 PM »
Decent deal? Turbostick for $20 + $5 shipping. I'm not looking for one, but it seems a bit cheaper than they usually go for.

I've been looking for a TurboStick. Thanks, jperryss!

jperryss

« Reply #40 on: August 05, 2012, 02:44:52 PM »
I've been looking for a TurboStick. Thanks, jperryss!

:mrgreen:

BigusSchmuck

« Reply #41 on: August 05, 2012, 04:19:25 PM »

Thats an awesome deal, glad someone here got one! I have 5 of these that I got back from tzd and for the most part have lasted for the better part of 20 years without too many issues.

FiftyQuid

« Reply #42 on: August 05, 2012, 05:14:43 PM »
That is an awesome deal!  Shipping to my location is shown as $35.   :cry:
I'm busy playing pinball, but I still drop by to visit.

Bernie

• Facebook URL
« Reply #43 on: August 05, 2012, 05:16:23 PM »
I won an auction of Rayxanber III for 50 bucks last week.  Thought that was pretty good.

jperryss

« Reply #44 on: August 06, 2012, 07:30:01 AM »
Again I have no affiliation, but there's a Duo-R bundle with a spinning-but-not-reading disc drive for $183 BIN shipped (US). Someone with repair skills might be able to fix?