Author Topic: 'Pcenginefx.com market value' Price List  (Read 2214 times)

TheClash603

Re: 'Pcenginefx.com market value' Price List
« Reply #45 on: August 07, 2012, 07:18:14 PM »

Also, there are plenty of people here who have been awesome to me. I've gotten good trades, good deals, and etc.  I like it here, because I do get good deals. How do I know they are deals? Because they are below eBay prices! :) I have no intention to resell. In fact, I've been hesitant to sell any of my extra turbo-stuff (despite numerous offers). I'd rather keep it to trade and build my collection.

I make a killing buying and selling off craigslist. If craigslist were FMV, that would be impossible.

Perhaps forum members should stop giving this guy any deals, considering he immediately follows up by saying he is exploiting us by flipping his Craigslist finds at higher prices?  It is one thing to do it, it is another thing to brag about doing it and to expect to continue to be treated well.  I wasn't going to butt in, because I think pricing is a funny issue that is subjective and in the eye of the beholder, but this rubbed me the wrong way.

How do you have it quoted that "I don't sell turbo stuff," and then go "How dare he sell the turbo stuff he gets here!" ???

Its in your quote of my text! I'm not flipping things I get here, you even quoted that factoid!

I didn't mention anything about you selling Turbo stuff.  What was made clear by your previous posts is:

1.)  You like to purchase games cheaply and then resell them for a "killing."  You have used Craigslist for your cheap purchases in the past.
2.)  You have gotten games at "good deals" on this site.  I am not sure if this was via trade or purchase.

My deductive reasoning has led me to believe that if you get good deals on games on Craigslist and then sell them for a killing, you would likely do the same with your good deals here.  You seem very keen on FMV and profitability, so there is not much of a stretch in my logic.  Additionally, the games that you acquire on Craigslist in a good deal, you would likely trade them on this site at a higher value than you received them for, in order to continue your killing ways.  This is unfortunate, because it seems the people on the other side of your trades have been fair with their offers.

DarkKobold

« Reply #46 on: August 07, 2012, 07:47:25 PM »

My deductive reasoning has led me to believe that if you get good deals on games on Craigslist and then sell them for a killing, you would likely do the same with your good deals here.  

Except for when I specifically said I'm not selling turbo stuff. Plus, the "good deals" here were by no means good enough to make a profit on, just enough to save a couple bucks off what I'd pay on Ebay. You don't even know what the deals were, yet you are "deductive reasoning" a bunch of hooey.

Additionally, the games that you acquire on Craigslist in a good deal, you would likely trade them on this site at a higher value than you received them for, in order to continue your killing ways.  This is unfortunate, because it seems the people on the other side of your trades have been fair with their offers.

SO WAIT A MINUTE, by your logic, if I pay $10 for Beyond Shadowgate on Craigslist, then i am somehow morally obligated to only trade it for that value? That logic is silly.

Also, the "deals I've made" have all been private, and have been fair FMV wise.  I don't know what the other traders paid for their goods, or how they acquired them, and I don't care. Nor should they care how much I acquired my stuff for. What they should care about is that they got a fair deal, and are happy with what they got.

Oh, and as a final note, both trades were suggested to me, not by me.

Your deductive reasoning failed.
Hey, you.

vestcoat

« Reply #47 on: August 07, 2012, 09:37:21 PM »
DK - I'm so sorry you've encountered arrogant people on the internet. Black Tiger and Necro - please go and reactivate all of those gougers' ebay accounts. We're wrong to police the entirely of the internet - sellers can charge what they please!

DK  - Now go read fifty pages of the "gouging much" thread. We've argued with idiots like you about the free market. We've argued with dudes who disagree with our estimates. We've argued with schmucks defending gougers' rights and we've argued with overly-sensitive noobs about anti-reseller rhetoric. We've argued why we believe what we do and why ebay =/= a price guide. Do Ebay and Amazon really equal a "free market" or are they an unbridled monopoly comprised of two corporations? Do ebay policies really create a buyers' market, or do they put all of the power in the hands of the power sellers? These topics and more await you in the Gouging thread!

Ignored.

Xray

« Reply #48 on: August 07, 2012, 10:58:50 PM »
There are flippers in any collectible market, I hear the exact same arguments in military collecting, they tend to get very heated.
Flippers don't set trends in themselves, but are caught up in the trends ,,, And in addition to making a profit, there can be a strong attraction to the "thrill of the chase" type of thing.
They are always treated with disdain by those passionate in their particular field, and with indifference by most others.

Myself, as I detailed in my recent intro thread, I have a decent collection enough to make any flipper drool. I have resisted thoughts of selling it over the years, and don't see that changing any time soon. I'd have no shame however in maximizing my profit when and if I ever do though.
Since I'm old enough to have bought many games first hand when they were available for sale at Toys R Us, and still have all but 1 of them 20+ years down the road, I guess I'd be classified as anti-flipper.
I don't look at my collection as an investment, so I rarely pay attention to pricing trends unless I'm looking to buy or sell something specific.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #49 on: August 08, 2012, 03:44:21 AM »
My deal is that I'm a big free market believer.

No you're not - you're an eBay market believer.  If goods sold anywhere outside of eBay don't count for determining value, then you don't believe in the entire free market.

It has always gotten under my skin when someone says "This is worth $X, and everyone who thinks it is worth more is wrong." This, to me, is the epitome of arrogance.

But there's no arrogance in you saying "This is worth $X, and everyone who thinks it is worth less is wrong."?  You're a hypocrite and a fool.

Also, I actually only called BlackTiger's posting arrogant, not the man himself.

Typical double talk from a clown.  The post was just inanimate words and therefor incapable of arrogance - the act can only be attributed to the person composing the words.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

majors

• Have cabs, will travel
« Reply #50 on: August 08, 2012, 05:03:54 AM »
PCE Daisakusen RIP - "Booze should be a choice, not a privilege" -KCDC (The FP)
"The dumb are mostly intrigued by the drum"

Firebomber7

« Reply #51 on: August 08, 2012, 05:55:05 AM »

I make a killing buying and selling off craigslist. If craigslist were FMV, that would be impossible.

How do you have it quoted that "I don't sell turbo stuff," and then go "How dare he sell the turbo stuff he gets here!" ???

Its in your quote of my text! I'm not flipping things I get here, you even quoted that factoid!

What????

I'm confused at everything in this thread.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2012, 05:57:03 AM by Firebomber7 »

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
    • Incessant Negativity Software
« Reply #52 on: August 08, 2012, 05:59:10 AM »
First off, that Dynastic Heroes for $50 was a once off, idiotic move by a seller. That is not Open Market Value. Lets look at actual completed auctions -

It's Dynastic HERO.  H E R O.

How can we take anything you say seriously if you don't even know the titles of the games.   You've got 58 posts and you're calling Black Tiger arrogant.   That's f*cking golden.

This is the typical new guy in town that knows everything trainwreck.  you just got here, you just started posting, and you're already an expert on the entire Turbo Grafx-16/PC Engine world and all of its rares.

Protip:  You aren't. 

I bought my Dynastic Hero for like 30$.  It's Japanese.   I don't give a f*ck.  It's the same game.  The roundeye one is worth more because some dick said it is and people were stupid and believed him.

If I want Magical Chase, i'll get the Japanese one for like 30-50$ and laugh at anyone who thinks the Round eye one is worth more.   

You'll notice the majority of the community doesn't talk about the OMGRAERS. 

Why, you ask?    Because there's so many other games on the console that are easy as shit to find and more worth the time than some bitch on a broom flying around shooting shit.

Oh, wait, you could do that with Cotton too!  See?   These are games, not trophies. 

Also, you want the honest truth from someone who's seen this shit go down many times?

At conventions, the resellers who often run GAME STORES show up with multiple copies of shit.  You'll see them buy more of the same game at the conventions.

The reason?  Buy as many as possible.  Sit on them.  Control the market because you have 6-10 copies of a rare ass game.   

One guy walks around with a barcode scanner and an iphone and looks shit up on ebay to get prices.  He buys things from sellers before the convention opens.  Then he goes and tosses them on his table for 2-3x as much.    That's f*ckin shady.   Prebuying and adding inventory for more money.   

Then he stumbles around and leaves his flyers on other peoples booths when they aren't looking.   

His name is GAME KING, and he's a stupid dick.  They have stores in Kentucky.  I sure hope hes not the head honcho.  If he is, I feel sorry for everyone that works for him because he's a terrible person. 

I ripped his flyer up and tossed it in the trash.   Resellers can blow me.

There was this guy Worldlam in the Commodore 64 scene.   He used credit to buy a ton of Commodore goods thinking he'd be turning a huge profit.

Yeah.   like 20000$+ later, he done f*cked his life up and vanished.  Who the hell buys a Breadbin for 20$ anyway. 

Idiots that don't know what they're talking about.

That's who.

Also, your mona lisa argument is dumb.    That painting wasn't made in mass quantities, and it wasn't designed to be played for enjoyment.

Magical Chase is a VIDEO GAME.

A factory made many of them.   They were sold in stores for retail price.  They were made to be opened and played.

d u h hhhhhhrrhrrrrrr
[Fri 19:34]<nectarsis> been wanting to try that one for awhile now Ope
[Fri 19:33]<Opethian> l;ol huge dong

I'm a max level Forum Warrior.  I'm immortal.
If you're not ready to defend your claims, don't post em.

Firebomber7

« Reply #53 on: August 08, 2012, 06:07:18 AM »
A Duo is worth about $5 loose, I can tell you that! It worked fine, it was just untested. Also got a boxed AES for $70 from the same place.

I've paid that much for one before at chain of stores where used retro video games is one of their specialties.

Current market does dictate prices, but if you only use a couple limited sources to gage pricing (like just eBay and Amazon, like Mr/Ms. Kobold did), well... you're an idiot.

esteban

« Reply #54 on: August 09, 2012, 03:40:08 AM »
COLLATERAL DAMAGE: I am not going to enter this debate. I just want to say that I have been damaged, broken and left an empty husk. Why?

I gave up on acquiring certain titles a few years ago when the prices went beyond my budget. Sure, prices had been creeping up for more than a decade (inflation), but the sudden spike in prices simply deflated my hope.

Then, noticing the overall trend towards significantly higher prices (an increasing number of titles have ridiculous prices), the last little gasp of optimism escaped from my lips.

I can't afford to buy many games these days, but I'm glad that the folks here at pcefx.com want to help one another (generally) instead of simply being a profiteer.

DarkKobold, you are certainly not the only selfish person who tries to exploit others. I'm sure a lot of people here do selfish things and profit from it (most don't brag about it because they fear the repercussions). I'd be surprised if there weren't some shady folks who routinely take advantage of us here.

Or, inevitably, a lot of current, dedicated folks here (good-hearted folks) will have a "change of heart" at some point in the future and sell items for a handsome profit.

We can't control everything. But at least the community here is trying to support one another and focus on *playing the games* and attempting to keep our hobby *affordable* and not some other bullshit.

NOTE: I don't have a collection. I despise that term. I have a f*cking library of games. I play them. I keep them. My thoughts revolve around playing games. I lend out my games. I usually get them back. I wish all PCE & TG-16 games were dirt cheap and LOST VALUE over time. Personally, and this is my own selfishness, I wish only folks who actually played games bought them. Capitalism is a blessing and a curse. The entire video game industry exists to generate profit (games!) but it also encourages folks to exploit relationships (damn!).

/missive

« Last Edit: August 09, 2012, 03:54:05 AM by esteban »
  |    | 

BlueBMW

« Reply #55 on: August 09, 2012, 04:26:04 AM »
Im a shameless profiteer when it comes to the region mod chips....

Pcb: $1.60
components: $1.50
bubble mailer: $0.75
shipping: $3.50
Royalties: $4.00

total cost: $11.35
Price: $18 shipped

I profit $6.65 a mod chip.

I am le gouger!

:D
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

soop

« Reply #56 on: August 09, 2012, 05:07:17 AM »
Im a shameless profiteer when it comes to the region mod chips....

Pcb: $1.60
components: $1.50
bubble mailer: $0.75
shipping: $3.50
Royalties: $4.00

total cost: $11.35
Price: $18 shipped

I profit $6.65 a mod chip.

I am le gouger!

:D

Damn you Beemer!!!  Now let's have some RGB amps please :D

As far as Dark Kobold goes...  I kind of feel sorry for him.  I don't think he gets that eBay isn't a shop.  That's why I don't pay "market value" for games, but wait until the ones I want appear for a price I think is reasonable, and then buy them.  Takes a little patience, sure, but it f*cking happens.

And then guess what?  If I find something I already own and it's a decent price, I'll snap it up and offer it to the community.  Sure I'm not going to sell at a loss, maybe even a few $ profit, but less than the cheapest on eBay.  But if you've done me a favour on here (and the list is growing) I'm likely gonna hand it over at cost price, and believe me, I'm such a cheapskate that it's gonna be a deal.

So in that way, the dedicated community here skims the cream from the "free market" (eBay to everyone else) and leaves all the other BINs I see recycling every other week to some guy with money to burn who really wants to play it now. 

It's like this:  Everyone else is queueing up at the gate, paying $10 to get in, when there's a massive hole in the fence over there, if you can be bothered to look.

DarkKobold

« Reply #57 on: August 09, 2012, 06:16:44 AM »
I'm saddened by this. You seem like a nice guy.

DarkKobold, you are certainly not the only selfish person who tries to exploit others. I'm sure a lot of people here do selfish things and profit from it (most don't brag about it because they fear the repercussions). I'd be surprised if there weren't some shady folks who routinely take advantage of us here.

Who have I exploited here? I've already dispelled this notion in a post above you. Please don't make accusations, or perpetuate them, without proof.

NOTE: I don't have a collection. I despise that term. I have a f*cking library of games. I play them. I keep them. My thoughts revolve around playing games.  I wish all PCE & TG-16 games were dirt cheap and LOST VALUE over time. Personally, and this is my own selfishness, I wish only folks who actually played games bought them.

Two things:

Dictionary definition of a library: "a collection of any materials for study and enjoyment, as films, musical recordings, or maps. " So, a library is still a collection. I don't understand why people here are so anti-collecting, especially leading into the second point...

Who says collectors never play their games? I play my TurboDuo plenty (I'm now on my 4th playthrough of Dungeon Explorer 2, might start speed running it.) For some reason, the rhetoric here paints any collector as this Gargamel style evil figure, that doesn't allow anyone to touch their games. It makes this wild jump of logic that collecting automatically means the collectors only value games for their monetary value, not playability, and don't ever turn on their systems.

vestcoat said it best, there is a built-in rhetoric that is totally irrational, but is continually perpetuated.

I gave up on acquiring certain titles a few years ago when the prices went beyond my budget. Sure, prices had been creeping up for more than a decade (inflation), but the sudden spike in prices simply deflated my hope.

Then, noticing the overall trend towards significantly higher prices (an increasing number of titles have ridiculous prices), the last little gasp of optimism escaped from my lips.

Well, I have absolutely great news for you. Since you don't care about collecting, you don't need to have any turbografx games any more, aside from this one:

http://krikzz.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=57

There you go - for $80, you can play any Turbografx game ever made, on a Turbografx system. This is 100% identical to playing it on the original HuCard.

If this doesn't seem sufficient to you, then on some level you are a collector, you place a value on having the original HuCards. I'm not saying this idea is wrong - I certainly place a value on having the originals. I'm just asking you to not vilify collectors, and continue silly rhetoric.

As far as Dark Kobold goes...  I kind of feel sorry for him.  I don't think he gets that eBay isn't a shop.  That's why I don't pay "market value" for games, but wait until the ones I want appear for a price I think is reasonable, and then buy them.  Takes a little patience, sure, but it f*cking happens.

Somehow, I got misquoted into people believing I only pay eBay prices for games. I've only tried to state that sold eBay auctions define "market value." If you find a game for less than "market value," then it is a deal; and plenty of great deals exist in this world. Sure, there are other markets in which games are sold, everything from conventions to flea markets to play n' trade to  garage sales and even more. I'm not denying these exist. What I am trying to say is that they don't define "market value" in the same open way eBay does.  No one has access to this data, it isn't stored anywhere. Saying "I paid $5 for Magical Chase at a garage sale" doesn't mean Magical Chase is worth $5.

Finally, I pity sellers like "Pompey Parsons" who continue to list the same over-priced games month after month after month. In the long run, there is no benefit to keeping stock. He and his ilk are banking on someone desperately needing a game, and willing to pay over market value. This is not the best business decision, as you want things to keep flowing. Holding inventory to make an extra 10% benefits no one.

When I list items on eBay, I try and list them as the cheapest item available, so that I keep stock flowing in and out.

And finally, yes, I resell things I find on craigslist and at garage sales. A seller lists something for a price, I pay that price. I keep what I need for my collection, and sell the rest so I have money to continue collecting. No one is exploited here.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2012, 06:30:37 AM by DarkKobold »
Hey, you.

geise

« Reply #58 on: August 09, 2012, 07:19:25 AM »
So when are any of your deals coming the forum members way? :D  Plenty of your fellow members are looking for turbo games and would gladly take them off your hands.  Currently I'm looking for Chase HQ.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2012, 07:21:11 AM by geise »

esteban

« Reply #59 on: August 09, 2012, 10:41:39 AM »
I just want to say that I don't have a problem with DarkKobold, as a forum member. He simply was on the receiving end of a rant against collecting, in general. Please don't take anything personally, DK, since, honestly, I really don't want to single you (or anyone) out as a dirty profiteer (even if you are, ha!, I'll live with it and we can be friends).

NOTE: I don't have a collection. I despise that term. I have a f*cking library of games. I play them. I keep them. My thoughts revolve around playing games.  I wish all PCE & TG-16 games were dirt cheap and LOST VALUE over time. Personally, and this is my own selfishness, I wish only folks who actually played games bought them.

Two things:

Dictionary definition of a library: "a collection of any materials for study and enjoyment, as films, musical recordings, or maps. " So, a library is still a collection. I don't understand why people here are so anti-collecting, especially leading into the second point...

I am making an important distinction between library and collection. I can use any labels (they are arbitrary), but it is more effective to co-opt existing terms that are already used by the community.

(*) A library is actively used and enjoyed. It exists as a resource (historical, social, entertainment, etc.) and may or may not be comprehensive.

(*) A collection has the *potential* to be actively used and enjoyed, but primarily exists as a stockpile of artifacts. Collections often encourage a voracious "catch-them-all" mentality where the goal seems to be "______% of collection completed!" instead of "I friggin' loved Valis III, so I gotta check out Valis IV!" In other words, the very essence of a "collection" is to collect objects (tautology!) and perhaps even reach a finite end. It might as well be a collection of ceramic pigs, though, since the act of "collecting" is the primary focus. Playing the games is secondary.

Personally, if I had a shitload of ceramic pigs, I'd play with the damn things. 

SUMMARY: Library and collection are two very different things, functionally as well as philosophically. I suppose they represent opposite ends of a spectrum and we will all occupy different points on the spectrum.

ON ROMs/ISOs: 99.99% of the time, I play games I have purchased. I have purchased two flash carts, but have been too busy to try them out. I will, eventually, because I am curious about the demos and fan translations that folks have created.

« Last Edit: August 09, 2012, 11:03:18 AM by esteban »
  |    |