Author Topic: whats the best knock off retro console  (Read 779 times)

8bitForLife

whats the best knock off retro console
« on: August 12, 2012, 01:12:39 AM »
In light of _joshuaturbo raffle i was curious whats the best knock off console maybe for nes snes or genesis. Iv seen a ton but i have no idea.
Ops wrong forum can this be moved please. sorry 2am and im tired.
Turbo Duo Rx Turbo Grafx 16, Atari 2600 5200 7800 Jaguar + CD Starpath Supercharger, Gba DS DSI 3Ds Nes Snes N64 VB GC Wii, Xbox Xbox 360, Ps1 Ps2 Ps3 Psp Fat Psp slim, GenesisV3 CDX Nomad Saturn Dreamcast JP USA, NGPC

http://www.pcedaisakusen.net/2/34/530/show-collection.htm

Firebomber7

Re: whats the best knock off retro console
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2012, 03:17:24 PM »
Maybe it's just my opinion, but I thought the Mega Drive/Genesis was a pretty good knock-off of the PC Engine/Turbografx-16. Yes, it has less colours and it took them a long time to finally add a CD-ROM drive, but some of the games ported from the PC Engine, such as Afterburner II, Outrun, Raiden, etc. weren't too bad for those people who couldn't afford a real PC Engine at the time.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2012, 03:19:15 PM by Firebomber7 »

hoobs88

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2012, 03:59:49 PM »
The Retro Duo Portable. It plays SNES, NES, and Genesis games (with adapter) on the go or hook up to your TV.
1 title needed for a complete US Turbo Grafx collection: Magical Chase

Parasol Stars High Score = 119,783,770
http://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/index.php?topic=9292.0

League of Legends Summoner Name = DeviousSideburns

Firebomber7

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2012, 04:01:51 PM »
The Retro Duo Portable. It plays SNES, NES, and Genesis games (with adapter) on the go or hook up to your TV.
It's just too bad there isn't a HuCard slot in it.

FiftyQuid

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2012, 05:00:34 PM »
Links and pics if you don't mind please.  I've tried Googling some of these names, but all I get are useless Wiki links.  :cry:
I'm busy playing pinball, but I still drop by to visit.

wilykat

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2012, 05:20:22 PM »

Does the Retro Duo portable have A/V *in*? If so, hack it and add Coregrafx system to it and have a 4-in-1 portable system. Toss in EverDrive for SNES, Genesis, and Turbo + PowerPak (if it works, PP rarely works on NOAC) and you could have a few thousands game to pass time with.

Deletion

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2012, 05:31:49 PM »
I don't own any clone consoles, but the Hyperkin RetroN3 is interesting because it allows you to use original NES, SNES and Genesis controllers.
http://hyperkin.com/retro-gaming/retro-system-retron3.html

Here's a link to a 4-part in-depth review of the RetroBit Retro Duo Portable. The reviewer prefers it to both the Hyperkin SupaBoy and Yobo FC 16-GO.

Firebomber7

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2012, 07:49:59 PM »
Links and pics if you don't mind please.  I've tried Googling some of these names, but all I get are useless Wiki links.  :cry:

Here is the one that Sega made. Just be warned, the Sega port of Afterburner II from the NEC Avenue original is severely lacking. Best just to stick with the original PC Engine version:

Father5&JoshUnion

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2012, 02:39:19 AM »

Does the Retro Duo portable have A/V *in*? If so, hack it and add Coregrafx system to it and have a 4-in-1 portable system. Toss in EverDrive for SNES, Genesis, and Turbo + PowerPak (if it works, PP rarely works on NOAC) and you could have a few thousands game to pass time with.

Or..... just purchase a PSP.  ;)

esadajr

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2012, 03:41:38 AM »
I say stay away form those clones. They can cost as much as the real systems. With systems like the NES, you can either get a top loader or just replace the 72 pin connector. The SNES and the Genesis can be found for a reasonable price and are realible after 20 years. I wish there were clone CD systems, those would be worthy.
Gaming since 1985

8bitForLife

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2012, 12:24:05 PM »
wonder if the hyperkins saves games like in ff3 some of the clones wont save.
Turbo Duo Rx Turbo Grafx 16, Atari 2600 5200 7800 Jaguar + CD Starpath Supercharger, Gba DS DSI 3Ds Nes Snes N64 VB GC Wii, Xbox Xbox 360, Ps1 Ps2 Ps3 Psp Fat Psp slim, GenesisV3 CDX Nomad Saturn Dreamcast JP USA, NGPC

bartre

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2012, 02:22:23 PM »
if you're dead set on a clone, for whatever reason (space being the most prominent in my mind)
go with the Retron 3 or the Retro duo, both allow you to use your own controllers and have worked real well when i've dealt with them.
that said, neither ran kirby's adventure perfectly for me  :(

meka

« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2012, 02:39:09 PM »
I had a Russain famiclone called a "Dendy", it played most of the games I had fine but it had a very cheap build quality to it. Hyperkin's Supaboy looks alright I think they released a version 2 of it in which they addressed the shitty battery life to around five hours.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2012, 02:41:56 PM by meka »

hoobs88

« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2012, 02:51:02 PM »

No, it only has AV output. I'm curious if you can use a Sega Master System converter in the Sega Genesis adapter on this bad boy.
1 title needed for a complete US Turbo Grafx collection: Magical Chase

Parasol Stars High Score = 119,783,770
http://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/index.php?topic=9292.0

League of Legends Summoner Name = DeviousSideburns

8bitForLife

« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2012, 07:46:12 PM »
if you're dead set on a clone, for whatever reason (space being the most prominent in my mind)
go with the Retron 3 or the Retro duo, both allow you to use your own controllers and have worked real well when i've dealt with them.
that said, neither ran kirby's adventure perfectly for me  :(

does it work with games that have a save feature like rpgs and such on nes and snes.