Author Topic: Another day, another basketcase Duo  (Read 200 times)

ApolloBoy

Another day, another basketcase Duo
« on: August 15, 2012, 05:35:03 PM »
I've been working on a TurboDuo for someone and I've been having some problems with it. I've already completely recapped it and while the HuCard and PCM audio are fine, the CD audio is very quiet. The disc drive is also acting up pretty bad; original games never load and music CDs skip through tracks as if it's on fast forward. I replaced the laser but it's still having issues.

The disc loading issue might a calibration issue but I'm not entirely sure what's causing the CD audio problem. At first I thought it was some bad traces or vias but the board is fine. Maybe there's a bad op-amp somewhere?
Quote from: Arkhan
it makes me laugh because people are like I REMEMBER PLAYIN THAT BACK IN THE DAY, MAN THAT WAS FUN.

and then I go "yeah I remember playing that 2 days ago because I still have my SNES, retard"

ApolloBoy

Re: Another day, another basketcase Duo
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2012, 07:49:39 AM »
Thought I'd give an update on this even though I haven't worked on it in a while. I tried replacing the laser a few weeks back thinking that was the issue, but no luck. Any ideas?
Quote from: Arkhan
it makes me laugh because people are like I REMEMBER PLAYIN THAT BACK IN THE DAY, MAN THAT WAS FUN.

and then I go "yeah I remember playing that 2 days ago because I still have my SNES, retard"

thesteve

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2012, 02:09:38 PM »
jumping tracks could be a bad tracking motor, binding or adjustment.
the low CDA is often an open via between C322 and R322

Jugbug

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2012, 04:48:05 PM »
When I recapped my duo, game CDs wouldn't load anymore but adjusting the pots corrected the problem.  While working with them I would come across the fast forward/skipping tracks issue.  I think VR103 and VR105 were helpful in correcting that, if I recall.  Hope you get things figured out.