Author Topic: Ys IV: The Dawn of Ys English Dub Patch Released!  (Read 14878 times)

Keranu

Re: Ys IV: The Dawn of Ys English Dub Patch Released!
« Reply #45 on: September 25, 2012, 11:38:58 AM »
From my experience with pressing MSR, funding money for such projects is a piece of cake around here. We may not have the biggest retro community around, but we have enough loyal fans that will eagerly support projects like this. I couldn't believe we raised over $200 from donations in just one day for only a MSR check disc... the internet is an amazing tool indeed!

Guess it goes without saying that I'd gladly chip in for a Ys IV dub repro  :mrgreen:

By the way, do you guys think that if Nightwolve and co won't repro the dub that someone else like Care4Data might come in and beat everyone else to it (regardless of what the readme says)?
« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 11:47:02 AM by Keranu »
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

Keranu

« Reply #46 on: September 25, 2012, 11:45:02 AM »
DeuceBag did the same thing essentially, but with a commercial, for-profit entity/corporation, XSEED! He secretly sold the Felghana script (3 others after) in 2010, 6 months of secrecy just about, and he got 100% of the credit, 100% of the profit (whatever was paid to him), was never heard from again, didn't have a single thing to say to me ever since, just playing stupid basically and projecting as if he had done all the work himself in a vacuum (that was after 8 years of knowing him and ~5 of working together). In both cases, they effectively claimed 100% stake in the end result, even though neither of them would've had anything in their miserable hands to sell to the public, let alone to a corporation, etc. So, the point is, those two individuals can burn in hell and not only would I NOT ask for their permission, or give a damn what they thought, I wouldn't share a single penny of the earnings with them!
Lol, "DeuceBag". In all seriousness though, I hadn't heard about him selling out like that... what a shitty thing to do! To be honest I never did like that guy on RIGG, he had a nasty attitude and a sharp tongue.
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

NightWolve

« Reply #47 on: September 25, 2012, 12:04:41 PM »
By the way, do you guys think that if Nightwolve and co won't repro the dub that someone else like Care4Data might come in and beat everyone else to it (regardless of what the readme says)?

Isn't that what some jags did to Bonknuts/tomatheous and his Megaman-to-PCE project? Made some awesomely pressed CDs, no question about that, but evidently had no clue whatsoever where the work came from...?

Drakon

« Reply #48 on: September 25, 2012, 12:38:46 PM »
Bravo!  There's a lot of amazing rpgs on the cd system that never were given the english translations that they deserved.
http://16bitgamer.forumotion.ca/

NightWolve: "I'd say ole XGay fears another relapse, hence the need for strong, daily hetero reinforcement on his desktop. ;)"

Jibbajaba: "The problem with trying to flame Regal is that it's like trying to gut-punch a really fat person."

Burnt Lasagna

« Reply #49 on: September 25, 2012, 12:49:16 PM »
-Regarding the matter of Repros Selling
I've had this conversation before about repros being made for my Rondo of Blood patch and my opinion has not changed since then. 
I'm very much against repros!
This project was strictly an act a fandom and I do not want that to be misconstrued by the powers at be. I didn't start this project expecting to make any money out of it, nor do I want to. It was made in order to give English speaking fans of the series a method for playing the game in their native language. Nothing more. Not a physical item that you can put on your shelf, just a free file to apply to your game so you can understand it. You shouldn't expect anything else. 

Ys IV: The Dawn of Ys is still very much being sold today on the Japanese PSN and you can even easily import it, since the PS3 is not region locked. Which I recommend for those of you who have not bought it,
http://www.jp.playstation.com/software/title/jp0555npjj30040_00ys4000000000js40.html

I’m fine with people making their own mockup case/manual that you print out yourself, just please no pressed disks/repro selling!

That is my stance on the matter, please respect it and enjoy the patch on either a CDR or your emulator of choice.

« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 12:55:36 PM by Burnt Lasagna »
http://burntprojects.wordpress.com/
What Button Do You Press To Jump!?!

Bernie

« Reply #50 on: September 25, 2012, 01:33:13 PM »
-Regarding the matter of Repros Selling
I've had this conversation before about repros being made for my Rondo of Blood patch and my opinion has not changed since then. 
I'm very much against repros!
This project was strictly an act a fandom and I do not want that to be misconstrued by the powers at be. I didn't start this project expecting to make any money out of it, nor do I want to. It was made in order to give English speaking fans of the series a method for playing the game in their native language. Nothing more. Not a physical item that you can put on your shelf, just a free file to apply to your game so you can understand it. You shouldn't expect anything else. 

Ys IV: The Dawn of Ys is still very much being sold today on the Japanese PSN and you can even easily import it, since the PS3 is not region locked. Which I recommend for those of you who have not bought it,
http://www.jp.playstation.com/software/title/jp0555npjj30040_00ys4000000000js40.html

I’m fine with people making their own mockup case/manual that you print out yourself, just please no pressed disks/repro selling!

That is my stance on the matter, please respect it and enjoy the patch on either a CDR or your emulator of choice.

Its great that you did the patch for Drac X, and we all are very happy with the work you done on this one as well, but with all due respect, you aren't the only person involved in this.   :(  I do understand your position, but if all others involved do not have an issue, I do not see the problem.  A big part of this project was the translation itself, and NightWolve handled that.  Far as I can tell, he is fine with it.  I am sure the people involved with the speech would be fine with it as well.  It is just a matter of finding out.  Anyway, that is my two cents. 

Joe Redifer

« Reply #51 on: September 25, 2012, 02:00:48 PM »
I get this when it starts patching ADPCM in track 2

After I click OK it says the process is complete.  Is this normal?  I don't want to burn an incomplete patch.  Windows XP service pack 2 (I think).  No clue what that DLL is.

My guess is that I'll need to re-rip the game, re-find the english text patch and then redo this after I get this DLL thing sorted (no clue what a DLL even is, fuggin' Windows), correct?
« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 02:03:25 PM by Joe Redifer »

Bernie

« Reply #52 on: September 25, 2012, 02:04:09 PM »
Not normal Joe.  Not sure what it means though.  Have you tried it in an emulator to see if it works? 

NightWolve

« Reply #53 on: September 25, 2012, 02:08:25 PM »
I get this when it starts patching ADPCM in track 2

After I click OK it says the process is complete.  Is this normal?  I don't want to burn an incomplete patch.  Windows XP service pack 2 (I think).  No clue what that DLL is.

My guess is that I'll need to re-rip the game, re-find the english text patch and then redo this after I get this DLL thing sorted (no clue what a DLL even is, fuggin' Windows), correct?

Download the patch again, Joe. And delete any patch, backup folders to restart the process, that or extract a fresh image. That DLL was what we were talking about earlier in the thread. I fixed that in the new patcher by having Mike switch to an older version of xdelta (patching software) that doesn't require MS "C" runtime libraries to be present.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 02:16:27 PM by NightWolve »

Joe Redifer

« Reply #54 on: September 25, 2012, 02:16:24 PM »
Do I still need to apply the text patch first?  I can no longer find it on your site.

NightWolve

« Reply #55 on: September 25, 2012, 02:16:52 PM »
Yeah, either before or after. Order doesn't matter.

Joe Redifer

« Reply #56 on: September 25, 2012, 02:18:12 PM »
I can no longer find the text patch on your site.

EDIT:  I found it.  I was originally looking in the DOWNLOADS section under Ys 4.  Silly me.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 02:21:11 PM by Joe Redifer »

Joe Redifer

« Reply #58 on: September 25, 2012, 02:40:25 PM »
Alright it worked this time.  I downloaded a MSVCR100.dll and put it in the same folder just in case.  Burning now, thanks!

Sadler

« Reply #59 on: September 25, 2012, 02:40:28 PM »
There already is one man. Here it is.  Lightscribe Image http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/img/ysivcd.jpg

Here is what is looks like once burned to the CD. I know it's a bit blurry. My camera never takes good close up pics.

I've been playing around trying to make my own lightscribe image the past couple days. Here's what I ended up with:

(click for big version)

Here's what it looks like after burning 5 or 6 times over:

Pretty good!  8)

Here's a comparison pic with the PCE version:

As awesome as the English manual is (and it is f*cking awesome), I wish the whole thing was more TG style. I'd like to see the back cover being the orange and black recommendations you typically see in US games. The inside front cover and back cover I wish were English too. I'm going to try to whip something up for that. Finally, the rear insert could use some TG-ification! :D I'm attempting to have that done now. :D

Anyway, thanks again to everyone that worked on this. Tremendous effort, awesome product! :D
« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 02:46:49 PM by Sadler »