Author Topic: Which system to get??  (Read 820 times)

cavein2000

Which system to get??
« on: February 02, 2006, 12:06:55 AM »
Currently I have the following systems and have an extra spot for one more... I am waiting for PS3 but realize it will be some time.  

TurboGrafx 16
PC Engine Supergrafx + CD rom2
NES (Messiah NEX console and original NES console)
SNES
N64
Gamecube
PS2

In addition to these, which should I purchase?  I have my eyes on a dreamcast or genesis but am open to anything else as well.  I'm not fanatical about fighting games or shooters and love games like chrono trigger, castlevania, bubble bobble to name a few.
What a horrible night to have a curse...

TR0N

Which system to get??
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2006, 02:00:05 AM »
NeoGeo heck then again i am a fan of the system.

While it's know for it's fighters it does have puzzles,action,shooters and sports titles for it as well.

Not to mention games for it have age well they still play great.

Btw keep in mind two things on wich setup you pick.

AES for the gamer who likes to collect and is loaded on money.

MVS great for the "budget gamer" and wants to play the games.

Btw i got a MVS it was consolized by a member at neo-geo.com.

PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

rolins

Which system to get??
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2006, 02:20:23 AM »
Sega Saturn because it has plenty of shooters and action/arcade style games.

Second pick would be Neo Geo, but starting a collection in this area is very expensive.

-

akamichi

Which system to get??
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2006, 02:25:31 AM »
IMO, go for a Neo Geo or Dreamcast.  DC has a lot of underrated games.  Even though some of the more popular DC games got ported to PS2 and Xbox, there's a lot out there to choose from.  Grandia 2, Shenmue 1 & 2, Eternal Arcadia (Skies of Arcadia) and Jet Set Radio are just a few titles that come to mind.

I wasn't really into the RPGs on DC because I'm more of a fighting game fan.  I'm not sure if Neo Geo had any full blown RPGs since most (all?) of the games were targetted for the arcade.

I don't think you could go wrong with either system.  Availability of the games would obviously be a deciding factor.

esteban

Which system to get??
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2006, 03:42:55 AM »
If you have money, then NeoGeo is awesome (myself, I only get to play it at local laundromats), but if you haven't explored the huge library of Genesis games then I'd definitely go for good old Genny. While some titles are fetching higher prices, a majority of great games can be obtained for a relatively low price (especially if you don't care about condition / inclusion of boxes and manuals).

I think the Genny library is broad enough to offer you more games in the categories you are interested in than the other systems. Well, when it comes to (action) puzzle games, I don't think any library rivals that of NES / Gameboy (folks, tell me if I'm wrong here).

I've never met anyone who was disappointed by Dreamcast (unless they were temporarily soured by buying a crappy game upon its release... but even then they eventually regained their love for DC). I am not familar with its entire library, but I've played many gems.

NOTE: I am totally biased towards 16-bit consoles. Totally.
  |    | 

cavein2000

Which system to get??
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2006, 06:05:04 AM »
Is the Genesis - Model 2 the preferred model to get?   I was doing some research about the 32MX and Sega CD add-ons.  Are these worthy purchases??  Are there other add ons available?  Any other info?

Keranu

Which system to get??
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2006, 07:43:32 AM »
I voted Genesis for 'ya, simply because if you haven't had the chance of owning one, your missing out on tons of classic action games ;) . Plus they're ultra cheap these days anyways. Personally, I recommend the original model just because I've had better luck with them than I have with the second models and they look cooler, though a couple people here insists on the second model because of some sound thing.
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

DaveGeorge

Which system to get??
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2006, 09:48:35 AM »
Voted mega drive/genesis. Such a great system with a wide varaity of games, but is a little short on solid RPGs compared to the Snes. Go for the first model since the second one lacks the headphone connector, hence no stereo-sound output.

On the other hand, the Saturn is really a wonderbox as well. It's got it all, great shooters, some excellent CPS2 conversions, other fun games like baku baku animal and nights and a (of course) few great rpgs as well.

You should be pretty pleased with either...

Ninja Spirit

Which system to get??
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2006, 11:04:44 AM »
Genesis is so cheap these days go get that and you can go all out and try other machines.

Neo Geo if you got the bucks. Actually to get into Neo Geo, it takes persistence in finding the right deal. But that's just my experience echoing.

But definitey get Saturn. It's one of the last 2-D Powerhouses on earth.

GUTS

Which system to get??
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2006, 11:38:38 AM »
Get a Genesis/Sega CD combo system like a CDX (awesome system, barely bigger than an older walkman and it plays Genesis & Sega CDs) or an XEye (cool looking Genesis/Sega CD combo made by JVC, but try and get a Japanese Wondermega if you buy one of these since it supports S-Video out, the US X'Eye only does AV/RFU), but skip the 32x.  The Genesis/Sega CD has literally a shitload of awesome games that you can get for cheap like Steve said, plus they're easy to find.  

Or hell dude, get a Dreamcast AND a CDX since they're both so small they'd only count as one system together.  A Saturn is another great choice, the only problem with the Saturn is that most of the best games are EXPENSIVE as hell!

Ninja Spirit

Which system to get??
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2006, 11:53:14 AM »
Yes, stay the f*ck away from Sega 32X. It's a curse waiting to happen.

It all goes back to Christmas 1996. Got a 32X, it was working fine. I do recall having a really hard time putting in those metal plates into the cartridge slot (I had a Genny2 at the time). 3 days later, I decided to play some Sega Genesis, but there was no picture but still sound. Then eventually it stopped working. Then again it all might go back to the part about the metal plate. I might've scratched a few components while struggling.

KingDrool

Which system to get??
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2006, 02:01:01 PM »
I voted DC because it's my favorite console after the TurboDuo.  Plus, playing import games is as easy as popping in an Action Replay disc, which opens it up to a nice library of great games.
Games I Need: Bonk 3 (HuCard), Legend of Hero Tonma, Magical Chase, Soldier Blade, Super Air Zonk.

Got one to sell? PM me!

Keranu

Which system to get??
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2006, 03:53:30 PM »
Those metal pin things for the 32x are bleeding annoying. My cousin's 32x won't even work because of those damn things. I'd say just get a Genesis model 1 or 2 for now and then maybe look into Sega CD or 32x later, because that "the good games are expensive rule" can be applied to Sega CD, unless you are into the cheesy FMV games like me which only costs pennies :D .
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

cavein2000

Which system to get??
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2006, 03:58:34 PM »
I think I'm down to the dreamcast and genesis here.  I have owned both before - genesis as a kid, and my ex-girlfriend has the dreamcast!!  Damn!!  I really want to play worms armageddon, ya and streets of rage.  

Anyway, CDX/x-eye system seems cool (maybe a little expensive) but def saving space.  Know where I could get one of these off of ebay??  Any other input welcome.  Thanks for all of your help so far!! :P

rolins

Which system to get??
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2006, 04:12:22 PM »
The Dreamcast can be bought cheap almost anywhere. Japangamestock.com sell the japanese console for peanuts.

CDX/x-eye system are rare and extremely expensive. Best to try YHJ or ebay for those.

Although I think buying a Genesis and sega cd separately is cheaper and easier to find.

I always prefered the Model 1 with front loader sega-cd. It just looks cooler.