Author Topic: Disassembling a Hu Card  (Read 735 times)

fraggore

Re: Disassembling a Hu Card
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2012, 07:08:43 AM »
for god sake rip the thing off the suspense is killing me lol.

if it don't happen soon i am gonna have to rip my broken space invads apart.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2012, 06:37:38 AM by fraggore »
I always wanted a thing called tuna sashemie

"All your base are belong to us"

DarkKobold

« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2012, 07:18:26 AM »

Its actually been done before -

http://www.videogameden.com/article.htm?hu

I'm curious on a lot of things about the standard HuCard, mainly for reproduction purposes. For example, what is the thickness of the PCB? I'm guessing it is thinner than a standard PCB, by quite a bit. Break out the calipers! What kind of ROM chip did hudson use, and is there a flash/eeprom replacement that can be bought? Is the PCB one sided or two sided? (My guess is that it is two sided, and the chips face down, based on the images.) What kind of material was used for the to black protective layer?

I doubt I would ever have the time to take up the cause of huey reproductions, but having this sort of info in one place would allow for someone to easily take up the cause.
Hey, you.

thesteve

« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2012, 04:41:01 AM »
the black is a simple enamel
the board is double sided and quite thin
the chips are bare crystal with epoxy covering on the underside of board

esteban

« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2012, 09:15:55 AM »

I'm curious on a lot of things about the standard HuCard, mainly for reproduction purposes. For example, what is the thickness of the PCB? I'm guessing it is thinner than a standard PCB, by quite a bit. Break out the calipers! What kind of ROM chip did hudson use, and is there a flash/eeprom replacement that can be bought? Is the PCB one sided or two sided? (My guess is that it is two sided, and the chips face down, based on the images.) What kind of material was used for the to black protective layer?

I doubt I would ever have the time to take up the cause of huey reproductions, but having this sort of info in one place would allow for someone to easily take up the cause.

And I think digi.k (and another 1-2 folks here) dissected a HuCard and posted pics here.

THE DISSECTION I REMEMBER WAS... POPULOUS!

I'd love to see those pictures again... did anyone save them?

Thanks in advance

|    | 

DarkKobold

« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2012, 10:32:38 AM »

And I think digi.k (and another 1-2 folks here) dissected a HuCard and posted pics here.

Thanks in advance

Here is SF2

http://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/index.php?topic=4076.15

Weird there is a hump that has nothing under it.
Hey, you.

esteban

« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2012, 01:42:44 PM »

Thanks in advance

Here is SF2

http://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/index.php?topic=4076.15

Weird there is a hump that has nothing under it.

Thanks. The same hump is found on Populous. I thought there was a battery in it, but I was confused about what ROM RAM was.

|    | 

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2012, 04:41:06 AM »
The hump was just for more label space, I guess, though the pcb didn't eat up all that much real estate anyway.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

JohnnyPhantom

« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2012, 01:04:17 AM »
I've been curious about this too, was thinking of taking a T Bank import card,opening it to replace battery as well as re wire it so its USA compatible. Someday...someday..